The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does a timing belt make a Light squeaking noise before it breaks?
I don't think timing belts squeak. The squeaking may be from your serpentine belt.

But I guess it could be the timing belt tensioner? If it's not time to replace the timing belt, changing the serpentine belt may stop the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my power steering pump replaced last week I wonder if they loosened it or something?

I'll be glad when I get finally moved into the new house and have access to all my tools so I can do basic repairs myself

Does a timing belt make a Light squeaking noise before it breaks?
I don't think timing belts squeak. The squeaking may be from your serpentine belt.

But I guess it could be the timing belt tensioner? If it's not time to replace the timing belt, changing the serpentine belt may stop the noise.
my experience, no. no noise, no early warning. It just breaks. Depending on the type of car/engine that you have (interference motor especially), a preemptive replacement of the TB will save you an ass load of money. Mine broke two years ago but I was one of the lucky ones. It didn't do any damage to my top end engine. 99% of the thyme it does.

I just had my power steering pump replaced last week I wonder if they loosened it or something?
I think the power steering is tied to the serpentine belt. It could be minor misalignment between the new pump's pulley and the belt.

My wife preemptively changed the TB on her old car, only to have the TB tensioner fail the next month while she was 500 miles from home. The mechanic had to replace a few valves and remachine parts of the engine at no cost to us.

Getting her and the car home was a different story.

I think I will just swing it by that same shop this afternoon and have them take a look see...thanks!

timing belts are tooted belts, they really can't slip and squeak as your timing will then be off. TBs are one of those maintenance items you really don't want to push beyond the manufacturer's recommended service intervals.

timing belts are tooted belts, they really can't slip and squeak as your timing will then be off. TBs are one of those maintenance items you really don't want to push beyond the manufacturer's recommended service intervals.
This!

I see a lot of guys in the Camaro world upgrade to timing chains when doing anything to the engine. It's usually a $200-$300 upcharge to whatever else they are doing (typically replacing the cam), but it's well worth the money.

I've never known anyone to lose a timing chain in a daily driver. timing belts on the other hand wear out an require replacement.

I'm a big fan of timing chains opposed to belts. One of the big initial pushes towards belts was the notion that chains were imparting bad harmonics into the valvetrain. Personally, I think its a load of BS, and that even if there were harmonics being introduced by a chain, I'd rather have those than my pistons slamming into the valves on an interference fit motor.

its an 02 Tahoe and appears to have a internal timing chain not a belt, hopefully the F'tards just didnt do somethign 100% when they installed the power stearing pump..

^absolutely!

Correct me if I'm wrong but most (if not all) of the US designed motors are chains. the Europeans/Japanese are the ones that like the belts.

I think I had a Ford Taurus a while back that was a timing belt? I cant remember, I know I have only owned one foreign car (the wifes prius) and I have replaced 1 timing belt, it was either in the taurus or the 84 ford ranger?

I am trying to keep the tahoe to the "book" as far as replacements and maintenance. I need it to last at least 4 more years..its old but only has 103,000 miles on it, but we need the space to haul everyone around...

^absolutely!

Correct me if I'm wrong but most (if not all) of the US designed motors are chains. the Europeans/Japanese are the ones that like the belts.
I'm not sure about US or European cars, but my 2005 Corolla and my wife's 2014 Nisan both have timing chains. Her former car, 2006 Mitsubishi, had a timing belt.

Chevy LS3 engine with a chain for me, although it's been reported some of the early 2010's had bad tensioners...

I'm sure there were/are "US" cars running a timing belt, but I believe their powerplants are from the foreign alliances (ford w/ mazda engine, chevy w/ Toyota engine, etc.)

even though I hated the durango, it gave me 200,000 miles with really zero mecahnical problems, never changed a single belt....RIP- whever you are you 2WD vehicle....

Back