The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did breakneck pass in my long wheelbase tacoma with bald "P" tires...

Just takes a little courage

Of course I had to turn around at some point when the going got a little too rough, but I did make it up to like 12,000 feet!

I plasti-dipped my side mirrors last night. I like how they turned out.

How many coats did you use? I'm thinking of plasti-dipping the chrome grille on my car. I was going to do it last year, but never got around to it.
At least 4. Make sure the last one is completely dry before you remove the tape around the outside.

Ordered my Wilwood brakes for the front and rear of the Mazda. That was a pricey endeavor, but hey, at least I'll be able to slow down from 150 mph+?

my dad has a 2010 jeep patriot 4x4. He went to go look for new tires and was told both lower ball joints were bad. to the point they recommended not driving until fixed. the joints went bad before the first set of tires....so sad

Ordered my Wilwood brakes for the front and rear of the Mazda. That was a pricey endeavor, but hey, at least I'll be able to slow down from 150 mph+?
I'm looking to upgrade mine to something more auto-x friendly. The entire kit is ~$1300 for new rotors (all 4 corners), new pads, stainless brake lines, and new front calipers (upgrade from 4-piston to 6-piston). It's the setup from the CTS-V.

Damn, that's cheap. Mine is roughly double that. Calipers are four piston Superlites, but they're big pistons, and are only slowing down 2600 lbs or so. I lose the parking brake too, but WGAF. I'm gaining nearly 3 inches of rotor diameter, and about 3/4" of rotor thickness.

It's nice to hear that GM parts are still somewhat interchangeable. I remember my high school days helping my friend tinker with his 87 Camaro RS (with the anemic 305). The funniest "mod" we did was to fashion somewhat of an open air intake by using a filter cover from a small GM V6, which fit right over the outer lip of the V8 air filter, leaving a ~2-inch opening all around between the pan and the filter. Probably did nothing, but boy did it sound good!

Damn, that's cheap. Mine is roughly double that. Calipers are four piston Superlites, but they're big pistons, and are only slowing down 2600 lbs or so. I lose the parking brake too, but WGAF. I'm gaining nearly 3 inches of rotor diameter, and about 3/4" of rotor thickness.
I could probably double the price if I went with two-piece ZL1 front rotors, replaced the rear calipers, and went with some higher-end pads. I just wanted to get the "framework" in place for when I am really putting some serious power down in a couple years. I'd like to get my car over the 700rwhp mark, and in a 4000lb car I need some serious stopping power. Most of the suspension stuff will be done within the next month or so (sway bars, bushings, trailing arms, toe rods), all that's left in the suspension is a set of good coilovers (probably run ~$2k).

Ever been in a car with 700 to the wheels? That is a shitload of power at any weight, and downright dangerous on street tires.

I damn near pulled the trigger on a twin turbo setup for the RX7 that could have pushed 1100 hp or so on E85, and then thought to myself, what the f*ck am I doing? This car is an absolute death trap with 450ish HP, so I will likely go the much easier to race/maintain route of a naturally aspirated setup making 600+ and call it a day.

Ever been in a car with 700 to the wheels? That is a shitload of power at any weight, and downright dangerous on street tires.

I damn near pulled the trigger on a twin turbo setup for the RX7 that could have pushed 1100 hp or so on E85, and then thought to myself, what the f*ck am I doing? This car is an absolute death trap with 450ish HP, so I will likely go the much easier to race/maintain route of a naturally aspirated setup making 600+ and call it a day.
I have. One of my friends in the local Camaro Club is putting down ~750rwhp. Good thing they make tires that work at those levels...

June 2014 Issue of GM HighTech Performance magazine:

10363795_783481545005117_4386448365355316025_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They do, but only from a roll, and not on the street!

He has slicks for the 1/4 mile, another set-up just for auto-x, and a 3rd set for driving around. I believe he starts in 2nd gear when driving around town.

For the amount of money he has on his car, he could have bought two houses in mudpuppy's neighborhood...

I'm beginning to know the feeling, and this car isn't my first rodeo...

Back