The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it in a hurry at Harbor Freight, as I didn't want the empty bumper, at it was obviously a good deal. In hind sight, I probably would have bought a WARN, but in the 2 times that I've actually used the winch, it has performed perfectly.
Yeah I probably have the same one @Supe mentioned installed on my Rubi, just haven't had to use it yet for recovery. It has wireless, mil-spec water and dust proof, synthetic. The equivalent Warn version was about 3x more. I figured for what little I'd use it, it's a good price point. Also, there's a HF in about every major town so finding parts for them should be relatively easy If I had to.

Yeah I probably have the same one @Supe mentioned installed on my Rubi, just haven't had to use it yet for recovery. It has wireless, mil-spec water and dust proof, synthetic. The equivalent Warn version was about 3x more. I figured for what little I'd use it, it's a good price point. Also, there's a HF in about every major town so finding parts for them should be relatively easy If I had to.
Yep. It doesn't even audibly change pitch trying to pull my cars rolling up on to the trailer. Strong enough for anything I'll ever need it for.

Also, I added another toy a couple years ago that takes just as much $$ out of my savings.
You know, they're saying now is a time to invest in tangible things...

Glad to hear about the upgrades in the Camaro...post some pics if you've got 'em!

The new 383 stroker, 750 cfm Edelbrock, FlowTech headers, true dual exhaust with Flowmaster FX mufflers.
I upgraded to a 4-core radiator with the engine change as well.
I installed the March Performance Serpentine Billet Aluminum Kit on it too,CBAB7DD7-D37A-4E5B-B459-802678A6C80F.jpeg

So after 9 failed attempts at getting my transmission back in the racecar over a year ago, I stepped away from the garage for a while for a much needed mental break. For some reason, it just would not cooperate and seat the input shaft into the pilot bearing. For whatever reason I got a bug up my ass to try it again yesterday. Took pressure plate off, again, realigned, again, and the trans slid in with zero fight whatsoever. 10th time's a charm, I guess...

Mr snick's car is at the shop today getting a recalled fuel pump replaced. They are supposed taking the back seat out to get access. lets hope they don't spill anything inside the car.

Mr snick's car is at the shop today getting a recalled fuel pump replaced. They are supposed taking the back seat out to get access. lets hope they don't spill anything inside the car.
They shouldn't. There's no carpet under there, should just be a metal bulkhead with direct access to the top of the fuel tank, so they can pull the whole pump/level assembly out in one piece.

As mentioned in another thread, I have a service appointment to get the 12v battery in my Tesla replaced for the 2nd time. This is a notable service appointment because it is the first one that I am being charged for. It's going to be about $200 for parts and labor. But they are still coming to do it in the parking lot at the golf course while I'm on the course. It's also pretty irritating because it's obvious they've done something wrong in the design that is causing 12v batteries to fail more often than in other cars.

They shouldn't. There's no carpet under there, should just be a metal bulkhead with direct access to the top of the fuel tank, so they can pull the whole pump/level assembly out in one piece.
mr snick picked up the car and the inside smelled like gasoline. he had to drive home with the windows open and left them open over night to let it air out.

Sounds like they got sloppy and didn't use a catch bin when pulling the assembly out!

@snickerd3 did it smell like cat pee in the morning? We have a problem with open windows and Toms in our neighborhood, specifically our garage cat. He likes to claim our vehicles as his, which potentially invites others to challenge him. It's frustrating to say the least.

@snickerd3 did it smell like cat pee in the morning? We have a problem with open windows and Toms in our neighborhood, specifically our garage cat. He likes to claim our vehicles as his, which potentially invites others to challenge him. It's frustrating to say the least.
that would have to be one skinny kitty. the windows were only open a couple inches. The coyotes and such keep the tomcat population by us to a minimum, the feral cats prefer living in town with the denser housing. If only the squirrel population could be reduced. I've only seen the occasional indoor/outdoor cat outdoors since our neighbor with the 100% outdoor cats moved several years ago.

The VW is a hoot to drive...having a manual transmission again is great...but there are some things about it that make me want to smack a Kraut upside the head.

The wife got a screw in her tire yesterday. Fortunately she was able to make it home, but when I went to take the tire off, there's no spare, no jack, no lug wrench, no repair kit. The only thing where the spare is supposed to be was a little 12V air pump. Call me crazy, but I've never had a tire just lose air. It's always been something that requires a repair or changing the tire. Guess I'll have to see about putting together some repair stuff and stashing it where the spare's supposed to be.

This is common across all brands now, not just German. Some vehicles the spare tire is an option you can buy. Others, like mine, there is no option for a spare. But at least mine came with a jack and wrench so I can remove the wheel if necessary.

That’s what got me the most. If I’d been with her, there wasn’t anything we could have done. At least with a jack and a plug kit, we could have made it home or to Tire Discounters for a proper patch. They can call it “cost savings”, but that’s BS. You can buy a jack from Harbor Freight for $25 so you know VW could get them for half that and a cheapie steel wheel with a donut couldn’t be more than $50.

At least with a jack and a plug kit, we could have made it home or to Tire Discounters for a proper patch.
Wait. A plug isn't a proper patch? I have been doing this wrong for over 20 years...

Not having something is BS. I think my wife's Leaf has a repair kit but no spare to "keep the weight low".

Wait. A plug isn't a proper patch? I have been doing this wrong for over 20 years...

Not having something is BS. I think my wife's Leaf has a repair kit but no spare to "keep the weight low".
Not in Ohio at least. The car only has 6k miles on it so the tires are still brand new. I called Tire Discounters and they said that, in Ohio, they are not allowed to plug tires. They have to be patched. If you go to the store and buy a plug, you can do it yourself.

If you go to the store and buy a plug, you can do it yourself.
I plugged a motorcycle (600 cc sportbike) tire once. And I don't mean temporarily to get home. Not my finest moment.

If I am being honest I have to say I probably would have not plugged the front tire, but I figured I was safe(ish) plugging the rear.

If the tire had more miles on it, I would have just run to the store and gotten more plugs, but since it was a brand new tire I went ahead and ponied up the $30 and had TD do a proper patch.

Back