The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the OEM tire one of those run-flats? That's how a lot of OEM's are justifying doing away with the spare now, even though run-flat tires are trash and they know everyone gets rid of them at the first replacement interval.

So…we are now boat people. The in-laws got a new boat so we bought their old one. It’s 34 years old, but I know how well they take care of their stuff so it still in amazing shape and despite the age, I’ve always liked the look of it. Picked it up last night and took it out this afternoon for the first time (as owners, been out with them plenty of times as passengers).

**** if it doesn’t look good behind the truck too….
BCF2FDF3-CB0A-4305-A110-BF0FD64B7796.jpeg

I'm not a boat guy, but I really want to drive one of those supercharged mini jet boats after seeing them on the Cletus Macfarland youtube channel.

I'm not a boat guy, but I really want to drive one of those supercharged mini jet boats after seeing them on the Cletus Macfarland youtube channel.
OMG…don’t. I started to fall down that YouTube rabbit hole a couple weeks ago. I am waiting to see what happens with their $2,500 race boat challenge though.

Took our first trip out on the Ohio River and almost managed to sink. All boats have a drain plug so rain water can drain. In our case, it’s a rubber compression plug that you put in and then flip a lever over to expand the plug. There was some debris in the river from recent storms, but not too bad. I’m guessing there was enough that something popped the lever back out. We got back to the dock at the boat ramp and the bilge pump was working overtime. Ran to get the truck and when we pulled it out, there was a big stream of water where our drain plug used to be. Got a new one this morning that screws in to compress the plug and new lever type for a backup.
63B2662D-49EF-49FA-8A79-649C1A55D236.jpeg63B2662D-49EF-49FA-8A79-649C1A55D236.jpeg

The wife was stuck working on Saturday but weather wasn’t too bad…about 80 but overcast so not too hot…so I took the boys out on the river. A little nervous cause I figured I’d basically be unloading/loading solo, but they ended up helping quite a bit. Cruised into downtown Cincy and docked at Hooters for some lunch. Hooters is about your only choice at the moment in downtown because docks are embarrassingly lacking. Headed back upriver where there’s not as much traffic and let Jack take the wheel just so he could see how everything works just in case he needs to be able to in an emergency. Little SOB went halfway to New Richmond before I got him to turn us around. Kept inching the throttle up too thinking I wouldn’t notice. He did good though.
7F65415D-B9F1-47EB-8FF2-EEB7AD1DB477.jpeg

You can check Google maps to verify, and I actually do like their wings. Not the best but better than the other big chains.

There are a couple little places up and down the river with docks once you get away from downtown. They’ve been trying to get some riverfront docks on the Cincinnati side of the river for years but the city Gov’t keeps screwing it up. It’s a shame because there’s a great entertainment area and both stadiums right there.

You can check Google maps to verify, and I actually do like their wings. Not the best but better than the other big chains.

There are a couple little places up and down the river with docks once you get away from downtown. They’ve been trying to get some riverfront docks on the Cincinnati side of the river for years but the city Gov’t keeps screwing it up. It’s a shame because there’s a great entertainment area and both stadiums right there.
Google check says:

1633624234541.png

So the wife and kids got in a car accident Tuesday night, everyone is doing good but the car is a total loss. It was a Chevy Equinox 2014.

We're currently thinking about:
Toyota 4runner
Toyota Venza
Tesla Model 3
Volkswagon ID.4

Me and my wife have both driven my buddy's Tesla and it was awesome, but I've been hearing things about their reliability. However, I like the technology and the Tesla brand as a whole.

We looked into the Volkswagon ID.4 because it is a little larger than the Model 3 and it's eligible for the $7,500 tax credit, but it doesn't have the type of spec's I would want to see out of a new EV.

The Venza has a "full EV" mode, but from what I've read it's only for driving short distances, like in a parking lot or drive thru. However, it still has some nice features, is a nice car, and is a Toyota.

For the longest time we were wanting our next family car to be the Toyota 4runner, but for the price you pay you're not getting the same interior luxury as other vehicles in the same price range. But it would be a very reliable car. I currently drive a Tacoma, so almost identical mechanically.

I'm still pushing for the Tesla at the moment because of the cool features, and being an electrical engineer I think it's fitting. I also think over the next 5-6 years we're going to see more and more EVs, so the price of gas will continue to go up adding to the monthly cost of the vehicle. Not to mention no oil changes, transmission fluid change, coolant, etc. The only maintenance Tesla suggests is brake fluid check every 2 years and changing the air filter for the cabin AC. However, Tesla vehicles are not eligible for the EV tax credit.

So the wife and kids got in a car accident Tuesday night, everyone is doing good but the car is a total loss. It was a Chevy Equinox 2014.

Toyota 4runner
Toyota Venza
Tesla Model 3
Volkswagon ID.4

Me and my wife have both driven my buddy's Tesla and it was awesome, but I've been hearing things about their reliability. However, I like the technology and the Tesla brand as a whole.

We looked into the Volkswagon ID.4 because it is a little larger than the Model 3 and it's eligible for the $7,500 tax credit, but it doesn't have the type of spec's I would want to see out of a new EV.

The Venza has a "full EV" mode, but from what I've read it's only for driving short distances, like in a parking lot or drive thru. However, it still has some nice features, is a nice car, and is a Toyota.

For the longest time we were wanting our next family car to be the Toyota 4runner, but for the price you pay you're not getting the same interior luxury as other vehicles in the same price range. But it would be a very reliable car. I currently drive a Tacoma, so almost identical mechanically.

I'm still pushing for the Tesla at the moment because of the cool features, and being an electrical engineer I think it's fitting. I also think over the next 5-6 years we're going to see more and more EVs, so the price of gas will continue to go up adding to the monthly cost of the vehicle. Not to mention no oil changes, transmission fluid change, coolant, etc. The only maintenance Tesla suggests is brake fluid check every 2 years and changing the air filter for the cabin AC. However, Tesla vehicles are not eligible for the EV tax credit.
So glad your family is ok!

Toyota 4runner
Toyota Venza
Tesla Model 3
Volkswagon ID.4

Have you looked at the Tesla Model Y? It has more cargo space than the 3, but it’s not as expensive as the S. If I were buying right now, it’d be between the Y and S (currently driving a 2016 Model S).

Good to hear your family is safe.

My wife has a Nissan Leaf, but I commute in it due to the low cost per mile and it is easier to to park in my small spot at the office downtown. We bought it new in 2017. I will not buy another EV from a primarily internal combustion manufacturer until major changes are in place, and I really wish we had held out for a Model 3 and spent the extra money. Driving the Leaf you can just see/feel how its a gas car with a electric drive (I realize it was a purpose built EV, not a conversion from a IC chassis). I have not driven the Toyota EV's yet, but I would fear the same parallel.

Also, be careful with where you read about Tesla. There was a ridiculously large amount of people/business that wanted Tesla to fail and there still is a large amount. I read a lot about Tesla from the side of being an EV owner, potential future Tesla owner, shareholder and general fan of EV's. I really don't think they have any legit reliability issues. I would not hesitate to buy one right now. They are singlehandedly pushing the EV industry to get better, more reliable, more range, etc.

Roughly where are you? I see a ton of them in Denver/north suburbs/Boulder. There doesn't seem to be any apprehension here. But if we go to my parents in central Maine or inlaws in north Cincinnati there is a substantially smaller amount of Tesla's and EV's in general. I feel like EV fandom/acceptance is very regionally specific.

We really enjoy having an EV in addition to the truck for putting the 5 of us in for local, long distance and hauling big stuff in the back. The EV is reliable, energy efficient and you're right requires no maintenance. Also, you don't stand around at a gas station once a week, just plug it in at night and its fueled up the next morning. Even the Leaf is fun to drive, but its not nearly as cool as a Tesla.

Have you looked at the Tesla Model Y?
That's what my buddy has and we liked it, but all the ones available right now are about $15k more than the model 3. There aren't too many available options for bare-bones models.

Last edited:
The check engine light- emmission system warning popped up on friday. It was popping up all day while I was running errands. I made an appt for today in the middle of all of it. Then it turned off late friday afternoon and hasn't gone back on since. I cancelled. If it goes on again I'll take it in.

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Toyota. They have an excellent track record in terms of reliability. My wife has a 2015 RAV4 and she loves it. Never had a problem with it.

test drive for comfort! While Toyotas are great I find them very uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods of time
Yeah, I only love my Corolla because I have bucket seats/heated seats, but I know if I didn't have those features...I prob would not buy. It's a bit uncomfortable and I think my next vehicle I'll be trying out a bunch of different seat types before I settle. But my Corolla is only 5-years only and 75k miles. It still has a long life.

Roughly where are you?
Florida. I see Teslas everywhere.

The Tesla is here! I guess I know my wife really well.

She was a little hesitant at first to get the Tesla. She had been wanting a 4runner, but after looking at the crash safety ratings she decided it was a no-go. Then she started looking into the Highlander, but with it's terrible gas mileage it wasn't worth it. When we test drove my buddy's Model Y, she immediately got out and said, "I want one." But a few days later she was back onto gas vehicles. She looked into the Rav4 and Venza, and those were her final choices until I convinced her to test out the Model 3 for a week (through Carvana). I had been wanting a Tesla for a while, but she didn't think she wanted to go all electric.

After having it only a day she told me she thought she was going to hate it, but now she really likes it and wants to drive it everywhere. Also, when Carvana delivered the car they told us it didn't come with a charger and they had to purchase a new one. Well, I guess they didn't know the Tesla had a frunk, because when I went to put the new charger in the frunk I found the Tesla charger. So now I have two chargers, but the one Carvana bought charges at 7mi/hr compared to the Tesla's 5mi/hr (both on 120V at the moment). Also, it didn't come with floor mats, but they ordered brand new ones and are having them shipped to the house. I also found a Tesla to J1772 charger adapter in the center console, which was also lucky because the charger Carvana bought was J1772.

Back