Technical review additional information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlong

Reaction score
I just heard back from the person doing the technical review on my PE application asking for additional information to show that the work I have done is civil. Does anyone have experience sending in additional information? What are they looking for? Do I have to send in another engagement form that is signed and stamped or just email samples of work I’ve done? The email did not provide any information of what they wanted and how to send it to them.

I just heard back from the person doing the technical review on my PE application asking for additional information to show that the work I have done is civil. Does anyone have experience sending in additional information? What are they looking for? Do I have to send in another engagement form that is signed and stamped or just email samples of work I’ve done? The email did not provide any information of what they wanted and how to send it to them.
what you are gonna need to do is look up the definition of civil engineering in the professional engineers acts and try to expand your explanation of your exp you listed on your references and how it related to civil engineering as defined by the board. No additional references needed unless they put you on pause and request additional months of experience.

what you are gonna need to do is look up the definition of civil engineering in the professional engineers acts and try to expand your explanation of your exp you listed on your references and how it related to civil engineering as defined by the board. No additional references needed unless they put you on pause and request additional months of experience.
Thanks for the explanation that is helpful. Do you know if they want this explanation in an email or do you have to mail a letter?

Thanks for the explanation that is helpful. Do you know if they want this explanation in an email or do you have to mail a letter?
I sent them an email to the person requesting the additional information and a couple weeks later I heard back. I was instructed not to follow up in the initial request from the evaluator. I tried to DM you what I sent to give you more details on how I approached it but for some reason it says it thinks I’m spamming you ...

Have you heard back? are you approved after you replied to their request?

I am in the same situation right now and Natalie King is not cooperating with me!

I have looked up the civil engineering definition and resend two additional reference forms and she still says that is not civil!!!
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
Can anyone help me? any suggestions?

Have you heard back? are you approved after you replied to their request?

I am in the same situation right now and Natalie King is not cooperating with me!

I have looked up the civil engineering definition and resend two additional reference forms and she still says that is not civil!!!
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
Can anyone help me? any suggestions?
I sent Natalie King additional information on each of my engagement forms and she approved it. I just made sure to hit all the key buzz words that are in the civil engineering definition. My degree is environmental engineering and most of the work I have done is with groundwater remediation but I highlighted the projects where I designed or constructed “fixed works” and made sure to note that the groundwater remediation was for aquifers used for “water supply”. It was a pretty lengthy email having to reframe all my engagements in those terms. My boss was pissed that she questioned what we do as Civil because he is a licensed Civil who has been working in that industry for over thirty years and he signed off for my experience.

I sent Natalie King additional information on each of my engagement forms and she approved it. I just made sure to hit all the key buzz words that are in the civil engineering definition. My degree is environmental engineering and most of the work I have done is with groundwater remediation but I highlighted the projects where I designed or constructed “fixed works” and made sure to note that the groundwater remediation was for aquifers used for “water supply”. It was a pretty lengthy email having to reframe all my engagements in those terms. My boss was pissed that she questioned what we do as Civil because he is a licensed Civil who has been working in that industry for over thirty years and he signed off for my experience.
I see, I will try to email her another email and add in these "buzz words" to my descriptions. This is very frustrating and time-consuming, although I added the "buzz words" from the civil engineering description, she still says it is not civil.
I have a BS and MS in civil engineering and I am a project manager for construction projects.

Thanks for your reply!
good luck with your exam next quarter!

I see, I will try to email her another email and add in these "buzz words" to my descriptions. This is very frustrating and time-consuming, although I added the "buzz words" from the civil engineering description, she still says it is not civil.
I have a BS and MS in civil engineering and I am a project manager for construction projects.

Thanks for your reply!
Just FYI, part of my application needed further clarification at one point because they said it didn't sound like engineering experience but rather project management. Project management is not considered qualifying experience, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your reply!
I’m surprised that your construction experience was rejected... If you have to calculate/analyze/survey/review Civil PE signed-off plans and reports then I would def focus on highlighting those activities in your explanation alongside with how the project relates to civil engineering (I.e. municipal upgrades, roadwork, building design, etc).

Definitely include “calculate/analyze/survey/review Civil PE signed-off plans and reports” as Caacf advised above. They want to see your decisions directly impacting the “built-infrastructure”. Dig deep into your project management experience and think of “your decisions” that directly changed the “built” infrastructure. Try and link those decisions to the relevant engineering design standards.

Thanks for your reply!
Any resolution with Natalie and the Board? What tactics did or didn't work for you?

Hi All,

I need help on this issue too.

I got an email from Natalie, She did not accept my work as a Quality Control Manager. She said that it is more of construction not civil engineering. I had almost 3 of my engagements from 3 PE that have been rejected because of my Quality Control Management experience. But in reality a QC Manager is involved almost in all steps of the civil works including; reviewing the designs, reviewing the construction works, estimations, calculations.......etc. How can I explain all these to convince her that all of those experiences are civil engineering works?
Thanks for your help on this.
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
@jlong
@Takniki
@Shadow Dragan

Hi All,

I need help on this issue too.

I got an email from Natalie, She did not accept my work as a Quality Control Manager. She said that it is more of construction not civil engineering. I had almost 3 of my engagements from 3 PE that have been rejected because of my Quality Control Management experience. But in reality a QC Manager is involved almost in all steps of the civil works including; reviewing the designs, reviewing the construction works, estimations, calculations.......etc. How can I explain all these to convince her that all of those experiences are civil engineering works?
Thanks for your help on this.
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
@jlong
@Takniki
@Shadow Dragan
I had to resubmit myself since i had a not normal civil experience. Just be more clear that from this timeframe to that timeframe you did x, y civil acitivities and it adds up to two years (you may need to prove you were under the purview of a civil pe in that timefrmame— i was)

Definitely include “calculate/analyze/survey/review Civil PE signed-off plans and reports” as Caacf advised above. They want to see your decisions directly impacting the “built-infrastructure”. Dig deep into your project management experience and think of “your decisions” that directly changed the “built” infrastructure. Try and link those decisions to the relevant engineering design standards.
That worked for me, too

OK, this is a challenge for many engineers. Here is how to solve the problem-- use engineering verbs in describing what it is that you have done. You designed, engineered, modelled, calculated, etc whatever it is that you are claiming credit for. In the quality control realm-- not knowing anymore than what is presented here, I posit that you did the following-- you collected and reviewed the data, which then required that you designed, calculated and modelled specific control charts, X bar charts, acceptance tables to identify the problem of why the project, line, process was out of control. Once you determined a root cause analysis, you then were able to design and calculate the necessary parameters to bring the process back into control. Now, you cannot use my words-- I don't know what you did, but you see how I drafted the answer to show the reviewer that you did do engineering. Give this a try-- always tell the truth-- never lie or tell a falsehood. This does work.

OK, this is a challenge for many engineers. Here is how to solve the problem-- use engineering verbs in describing what it is that you have done. You designed, engineered, modelled, calculated, etc whatever it is that you are claiming credit for. In the quality control realm-- not knowing anymore than what is presented here, I posit that you did the following-- you collected and reviewed the data, which then required that you designed, calculated and modelled specific control charts, X bar charts, acceptance tables to identify the problem of why the project, line, process was out of control. Once you determined a root cause analysis, you then were able to design and calculate the necessary parameters to bring the process back into control. Now, you cannot use my words-- I don't know what you did, but you see how I drafted the answer to show the reviewer that you did do engineering. Give this a try-- always tell the truth-- never lie or tell a falsehood. This does work.
Thank you very much for your explanation sir @WingNut. Can I revise/Reword and get those engagement record forms signed off again by the same PEs? Or do I need to find new PEs? The problem is those 3 PEs are the only PEs I worked under their direct supervision and I do not have new PEs to use. I was told by a friend and I am not sure how much he is correct or wrong. He said that "Once you submit an engagement record from a Reference or PE and it is not accepted for the first time, then they will not accept any revise/reword from the same PE". Is this true or he might not have enough information on this? Thanks @WingNut @jr_inthefog
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
@jlong
@Takniki
@Shadow Dragan

Thank you very much for your explanation sir @WingNut. Can I revise/Reword and get those engagement record forms signed off again by the same PEs? Or do I need to find new PEs? The problem is those 3 PEs are the only PEs I worked under their direct supervision and I do not have new PEs to use. I was told by a friend and I am not sure how much he is correct or wrong. He said that "Once you submit an engagement record from a Reference or PE and it is not accepted for the first time, then they will not accept any revise/reword from the same PE". Is this true or he might not have enough information on this? Thanks @WingNut @jr_inthefog
@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
@jlong
@Takniki
@Shadow Dragan
Did they flat out reject your references or ask for additional info? The first time I applied, my application was partially rejected and additional exp was requested. I used one same PE ref and 2 new recs due to retirements. After they received those, they requested additional clarification on the new reference forms based on the experience described on my forms, no new forms. I ended up just emailing back what they asked and got approved. I not sure your exact situation but that is how mine experience with the board went.

Did they flat out reject your references or ask for additional info? The first time I applied, my application was partially rejected and additional exp was requested. I used one same PE ref and 2 new recs due to retirements. After they received those, they requested additional clarification on the new reference forms based on the experience described on my forms, no new forms. I ended up just emailing back what they asked and got approved. I not sure your exact situation but that is how mine experience with the board went.
They did not mention the word reject in the email. They said the engagements x, y & z, part A of your work experience is not civil engineering. Construction project management tasks do not qualify as civil engineering work experience. They added to meet the min requirements, please submit a min of three engagement forms to demonstrating your civil engineering work experience. That is all. They did not say it is rejected. So, this means I still have a chance to clearly indicate my civil engineering experience and use the same references and sign them off and send them back. Correct? what do you think? Is there a way that I clarify these in an email or I have to send them the new engagement records again? Thanks for your help on this. @CAacf

@CAacf
@CAPLS
@altezza3363
@jlong
@Takniki
@Shadow Dragan
Unless the Board specifically told you that reference(s) was not acceptable, the reference(s) you used would be fine. However, the reference(s) need to agree/certify to the accuracy of the information as described in any revised/new engagements of course. Given what you've described here in this posting, I would suggest that you consult with your reference(s) as they should know, being that they are licensed, whether the work you performed (as claimed) is in fact the practice of civil engineering or not, regardless of how you change the words around. Just because licensed engineers supervise your employment does not mean that the work/tasks/etc. being claimed fall under the definition of the practice. The references play an important role in this process, which began long before you decided to complete the application for licensure.

They did not mention the word reject in the email. They said the engagements x, y & z, part A of your work experience is not civil engineering. Construction project management tasks do not qualify as civil engineering work experience. They added to meet the min requirements, please submit a min of three engagement forms to demonstrating your civil engineering work experience. That is all. They did not say it is rejected. So, this means I still have a chance to clearly indicate my civil engineering experience and use the same references and sign them off and send them back. Correct? what do you think? Is there a way that I clarify these in an email or I have to send them the new engagement records again? Thanks for your help on this. @CAacf
I would ask Natalie King if you can elaborate on the exp and dive deeper on how it relates to Civil Engineering as defined by the Board. It's such a hassle to redo the reference forms but if that's what they end up wanting, you should just submit the reference forms and make sure you work with your references on framing the experience more towards the Board's definition... I am just surprised the Board is fighting you on construction...I thought I had it bad as an environmental.... Hope you get through!

Back