Standing desks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
So, I finally broke down at work and had a standing desk ordered for me. 

At my work, I'm constantly running around so I'm always on my feet but when I sit at my desk for long periods of time my back simply just  hurts. (Plus, I just hit the big 4-0 so I'm an old man.)

I just set my standing desk up and it feels pretty good. Who else has these things?

I'm typing this from my standing desk right now. My office has electric standing desks for everyone and I really like them. I don't use them all the time, but I typically try to stand for an hour or two a day. It's a good way to change things up.

We have some at our office. I love the idea. But I would want one that the desk adjusted, so I could sit low when I wanted. I hate when my feet aren't on the floor. Ugh. Haha. We're moving offices next summer and I am hoping for adjustable desks. A friend has push button powered ones! 

It's also beneficial to invest in a good chair for back problems. Locking it so it doesn't recline (makes you align all wonky)  and having good lumbar are key. 

I've been offered one and it's still available.  After reading some recent research on sedentary jobs vs. health outcomes like heart disease, regardless of exercise frequency, I am thinking very seriously about setting it up.

The offices here have adjustable desks at right angles to each other to make an "L" workspace.  If you're not careful, you will absolutely crush your fingers between the two.  They're worm gear driven, and there is no fail safe.

Over half the day in and I am loving it. Why didn't I do this sooner?

We have a few here that have them and really like them. I can't have one because my back problems are the opposite of Kevo's: if I stand too long I'll get some nasty pinched nerve pain in my legs. 

I'm toying around with the idea of getting one. I was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel. I refuse to get the surgery, so my options are limited to braces and improving my posture. Work is a bit concerned and willing to set me up with what ever accommodations that I may need.

We got the standing desks as part of a terrible renovation planned by accounting where we have no shelves for books and the surfaces are too small for full sized drawings.  I do like that I can adjust both the table and chair.  Haven't used it for standing yet. 

This is what I've converted to:

161465_o.gif

I'd ask you to but it sounds like he may not have one! Look him straight in the eye, and tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-assed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed, sack of monkey **** he is! 

Then punch him in the d*ck,
In that case, let me rephrase.

Back