ChE PE worth it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkley

Reaction score
I graduated in 2001, took and passed the FE but only just recently got a job doing "real" engineering work - process design and the likes. I'm thinking of getting my PE b/c I hope it will help me be a stronger candidate at other companies when this job has run its course. I make above normal salary ranges for where I am and my experience level so that's not my motivation. My question is: does a PE give chemical / process engineers a leg up or is it more helpful for other disciplines like Civil or Mechanical? It's going to be pretty tough to get having been so long; I want to make sure it's worth the time and expense for future career path. Thanks!

From common perception I think it’s more relevant for Civil and Mechanical Engineers based on permitting requirements that require a licensed Engineer. However, you need to look at where you are/where you want to be and see if it is worth getting and keeping up with the continuing education. Down the road, it could ultimately help you land management positions.

Set your PE goal as a professional achievement. Period! Then, explore the areas you have been exposed to as a Process Engineer. You probably have learned significant info on Piping, Pumping, Fire Protection Systems - like CO2, Inert Gas, Foam systems, etc. This can easily translate into Commercial/Residential Pumping systems. Heavy Industrial energy systems like Chillers, Boilers, Condensers, etc can form working knowledge of Mechanical/HVAC systems. So, GET your PE in your most adept discipline (CHeE) as you develop enough skills to sit for ME PE exam and the ability to seal commercial /industrial bldg design. Your PE will ultimately increase your street value and give you a leg up on management opportunities. You will be able to speak the language!

Back