Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Payment for tax work this year was a twilight flight down the Chicago lake front for my tax guy and his girlfriend.
So you're offering mile high club memberships? One of my friends used to offer those (he had a commercial license and was looking to make a little extra money)

I am the tax guy, but my girlfriend doesn't want to go anywhere this year.
:GotPics:

Our taxes end up being pretty simple- mortgage, student loan, charity, few random tax breaks. It takes a long time, but at least I can stop, save, and go find things.
Stop and save? For me that consists of slipping the paper form into the folder when I get tired of working on it.

I'm afraid to even fill in our taxes yet. The little refund/owe number up in the corner of the screen feels like I'm playing slots. We should break even, but I just never know. We owed $1300 one year and then the next year we had to pay extra because the government thought we were holding out on them. BS.
That's usually about how we end up...+/- $1300...varies with our income for the year. This year it's looking like -$1300. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to do them by hand and then go through in Turbo Tax online (which is free if you don't actually file) just to check my numbers. Just for the heck of it I got a quote on how much they wanted to file them once and it was $115 (since I'm in a partnership for some investments on the side and have to file several extra forms) and I was like, ummm. . . no thanks!

I'm confident enough in my abilities now that I don't bother with the extra work to re-do them online.

Payment for tax work this year was a twilight flight down the Chicago lake front for my tax guy and his girlfriend.
So you're offering mile high club memberships? One of my friends used to offer those (he had a commercial license and was looking to make a little extra money)
I think I would need something bigger than a 4-seater to make that work. I'm also not sure if a flight through there would qualify for Mile-High status since anything over 3000ft MSL that close to O'Hare would result in some unfriendly communications with the FAA.

How come I try and get the dog groomed and it's 2 weeks wait. Same with appliance repair. yet people expect that a licensed engineering consultant can jump right on their project?

WTF!!

Taxes done today. A very nice and needed return. Not going to mention the amount in respect for those that are paying but I am very happy right now.

seems like anything we have bought that has needed assembly lately has been missing pieces. Had a new computer desk and matching file cabinet delivered yesterday. When mr snick put the file cabinet together, a bag a screws was missing. at least it was just for the drawer handles so he was able to get it together and it is usable until the parts show up.

One of my buddies just bought a desk and it came without the assembly instructions. Those things look pretty simple, but I bet it's a pain in the ass to assemble without the instructions.

My issue isn't necessarily with actually doing the taxes (finding the paperwork, filling out the forms, etc), it's with what needs to be done to prepare in the year before. What do I need to do now so that when I file tax paperwork next year I won't be bent over by the IRS again.
A honey badger would just eat the IRS Auditor.

Its worth the convienence to have that third pair of eyes
Most online tax processing resources check and validate the return prior to submission to the IRS = 3rd pair of eyes ;)

...minus having to shell out for the costly software.

Easier and worth the extra for me to take it to my tax guy every year. $215 dolla, but I always leave happy. He's up on all the tax news and always asks the right questions. 45min and done.

<edit>also, I try to put a bit extra in up front to make it all worth it at the end.

How come I try and get the dog groomed and it's 2 weeks wait. Same with appliance repair. yet people expect that a licensed engineering consultant can jump right on their project?

WTF!!
:appl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question here. How hard should one work all year to be rated as "average"? I'm trying to find out the lowest amount of effort possible to meet "average" because I am, evidently, WAY overdoing the amount necessary... <_<

Serious question here. How hard should one work all year to be rated as "average"? I'm trying to find out the lowest amount of effort possible to meet "average" because I am, evidently, WAY overdoing the amount necessary... <_<
Same here but I gave up a long time ago. It does not matter how hard I try and how much effort is put, it is always average.

I had the courage to ask my then manager what was needed to do to exceed the expectations(that is how it is done here...did not meet, meet most, meet, and exceed expectations) and he flat told me that his expectations were very high and that is why I got a meet expectations rating. :smileyballs:

After learning how management is here does not surprise me now but back then I was like :censored:

<--- exceeds expectations. But then again my supervisor is really lazy and I end up bailing him out time after time (and I make sure HIS boss knows about it).

i got a mixture of meets expectations and exceeds expectations...but a couple of the exceeds where for items that I have no referrence so I have no idea what I did well. They are generic lines like objective number 7 and 8 but the objective descriptions on the last page only go up to 5....go figure.

Back