Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to drive my dad crazy doing that with tools on his workbench. He had to tell me exactly where it was or I couldn't find it.

It was before I had contacts and it turned out my vision was 20/200, so that is my excuse in retrospect.

This morning I left the house without my work laptop. After driving half an hour I get to the office and realize I forgot it. I was screaming at myself then. Luckily my coworker was running late and was able to stop by the house on his way and pick it up so I didn't have to. Gave me time to read the paper and drink a cup of coffee.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Not only did they just change the vacation policy from 120 hours to 40 hours carried over annually, but they just SERIOUSLY cut back on tuition reimbursement. Before, they reimbursed a fixed percentage based on your grade achieved for each class. Now it's a piddly $5250 PER CALENDAR YEAR maximum tuition reimbursement! Guess that Masters degree is going to be put on hold for a while :angry:

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
Not only did they just change the vacation policy from 120 hours to 40 hours carried over annually, but they just SERIOUSLY cut back on tuition reimbursement. Before, they reimbursed a fixed percentage based on your grade achieved for each class. Now it's a piddly $5250 PER CALENDAR YEAR maximum tuition reimbursement! Guess that Masters degree is going to be put on hold for a while :angry:
That sucks. Grad school is so expensive - my employer's shelling out $3400 per 3-credit class. No way could we have afforded for me to go for one master's, much less two, if we had to pay on our own.

Oooooucccchhh. Why is it that surfical skin gouges hurt worse than deep cuts!!!!! I lost a chunk of skin from my knuckle while trying to take up the old bathroom floor a couple days ago and it still hurts. :sniff:

surfical? Superficial?

The worst one's are the ones that are on joints like that... they start to heal, and then open back up again every time it bends. Ouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
It seems like A LOT of companies are skimping on tuition reimbursement rates.

That sucks. Grad school is so expensive - my employer's shelling out $3400 per 3-credit class. No way could we have afforded for me to go for one master's, much less two, if we had to pay on our own.
I have often wondered how one is supposed to afford college these days with the rate tuition continues to skyrocket. And then of course, there is graduate school .... :mf_followthroughfart:

Oooooucccchhh. Why is it that surfical skin gouges hurt worse than deep cuts!!!!! I lost a chunk of skin from my knuckle while trying to take up the old bathroom floor a couple days ago and it still hurts. :sniff:
oohhh ... that sounds PAINFUL!! :(

JR

I'm convinced that Autodesk products are usually only suited for 2D drafting. Most modeling or 3D work really should be done using a parametric system like Solidworks or Pro-E.

I am an AutoCAD nut, mainly since I've been using it for 13 years (starting with release 13) but Microstation is also a good product for 2D, just not as good as AutoCAD. I hope no one expects me to produce anything 3D using AutoCAD because frankly it sucks for that purpose. I don't know what site developers ought to use, Civil3D certainly tries but if a new and improved type of modeler on a civil scale were to come out without all the bugs it would probably be very successful.

I will add that after Revit gets its problems figured out and addressed I think that will be great for construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use ACad MEP 2009. It's basically just a shell and a bunch of menus built on top of regular AutoCAD, so it works well as far as I'm concerned. Revit MEP 2009 is a steaming pile of shit. I heard from our IT guy today that Revit Architectural is a much more mature program, and therefore, has far fewer bugs than MEP. I sure am glad I get to beta test AutoDesk software while my company is paying a shitload of money for the privilege.

While I've never used Revit MEP, Revit Architecture is on my PC at home and I'm surprised how quickly one can hammer out a set of plans.

It basically takes the drafting out of drafting and design changes or product spec changes are done instantaneously.

Several architects I do business with use it and problems arise due to its incompatibility with AutoCAD; we'll hopefully upgrade to Revit someday soon.

Since I spend about 80% of my time at work doing design/calculations on a computer I've become a software nerd.

BLAAAAAAAAARGH. Why on earth do we hire PM's that have no idea how things are constructed?

All they have to do is reissue about 15% of piping ISOs to make everyone happy, but noooo, they don't see the cost justification. That's ok, we'll see how your budget likes it when your hydros and rest of the test packs are delayed and turnover is screwed up because 15% of your field welds weren't tracked properly.

Oh well, I sent out an e-mail to nonchalantly stir the pot this morning, we'll see how that turns out.

BLAAAAAAAAARGH. Why on earth do we hire PM's that have no idea how things are constructed?
All they have to do is reissue about 15% of piping ISOs to make everyone happy, but noooo, they don't see the cost justification. That's ok, we'll see how your budget likes it when your hydros and rest of the test packs are delayed and turnover is screwed up because 15% of your field welds weren't tracked properly.

Oh well, I sent out an e-mail to nonchalantly stir the pot this morning, we'll see how that turns out.
I would have chalantly stirred the pot...but that's just how I roll.

I would have chalantly stirred the pot...but that's just how I roll.
I normally take that approach, but I send out the periodic low-key e-mails that fly under the "keep it out of the President/VP's inbox at all costs" radar, which when they get it, sends the shit flying exponentially.

While I've never used Revit MEP, Revit Architecture is on my PC at home and I'm surprised how quickly one can hammer out a set of plans.
It basically takes the drafting out of drafting and design changes or product spec changes are done instantaneously.

Several architects I do business with use it and problems arise due to its incompatibility with AutoCAD; we'll hopefully upgrade to Revit someday soon.

Since I spend about 80% of my time at work doing design/calculations on a computer I've become a software nerd.
MGX, you ever use sketchup. Alot of firms in the south use it. We used wher I sed to work. Pretty neat little 3d design software, and it's free through google. Of course the specs aspect is not in play.

Woohoo! My e-mail worked, as I just overheard my boss in a rather heated discussion over the matter with our director on the phone a few minutes ago. Mission accomplished.

P.S. - Sketchup is an awesome little program for free! I used it to model some plasma cut assemblies and it did the job!

Back