So, they dropped the bomb on us last week...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that, jm. Hope everything works out for you. Some of my best opportunities have been after a forced decision.

Yet another one to say that sucks and good luck. I've seen where groups of engineers who were really successful with their big company are now successful with their own company...in fact, they are trumping the mega-company. However, that's almost as scary as just being out of a job. Best wishes.

jm,

From an outside perspective this seems like a great opportunity to start your own business. You already have the clients, and your company is leaving town. Can you call the clients and see if they would keep the work with you if you started up your own company?

The scenario of billable remote office closing is very similar to how the company I work for came into existence. We are also beating the pants off the larger organizations for the scopes we go after.

I will echo the sentiments and hope you are able to secure something quickly to reduce the stress in job hunting. Like Fluvial says, I hope that this economy IMPROVES quickly, for everyone.

JR

Come to think of it, I know at least two sucessful firms who started that way. One of which is in Birmingham.

The company I worked for started the same way. My boss had a satellite office and was told he had to either move back to the home office in Dallas or quit. He chose option B and started on his own and it's been pretty successful ever since. We just got our pay raises this morning.

We have a slogan in fire protection here: "Only the shirts change".

That is the people in the industry don't change, only the companies they work for.

Most companies I know of began from a handful of people who worked at one that folded or was closed by higher ups.

It takes a lot of guts to start a company, maybe its time you did that.

Sorry about that jm. When we had layoffs here a while back, management was "nice" enough to let people know a few weeks to a year in advance. I don't know how they determined who would know sooner, but as soon as people found out, they would spend their entire working day looking for a new job... outside the company... or within the company in other departments.

Sorry to hear about this. I hope something works out for you soon.

That is the people in the industry don't change, only the companies they work for.

Most companies I know of began from a handful of people who worked at one that folded or was closed by higher ups.

I've always been amazed at the turnovers and startups in the sprinkler industry. It is going to be interesting to see how they react to 13D systems in new construction.

I've always been amazed at the turnovers and startups in the sprinkler industry. It is going to be interesting to see how they react to 13D systems in new construction.
From the inside, no one wants residential systems, especially union contractors. Its very difficult to make money on a residential system. All the residentials I have done have all been literal charity cases i.e. homes for the disabled etc. The guy with a pickup truck, some certs and hand tools will probably be the main installing contractor for residential systems. Apartments are another story but individual homes aren't very good from a profit perspective.

Subcontractor for a tract home developer would just about be the only way to get the volume needed.

Kinda a shame after the battles they went through, and are going through, with the NAHB.

So, on January 13th I found out I was getting laid off.

On January 22nd I found out they are giving me a raise.

Seriously.

So are you still losing your job? How do they change their mind and go the complete opposite direction in 9 days?

So are you still losing your job? How do they change their mind and go the complete opposite direction in 9 days?
Oh no, they haven't changed paths. Apparently our yearly merit increase came in a little early.

Just seems odd. I may be the only guy in America getting a raise and fired all at the same time.

In a dark humor sort of way, it is funny.

I guess it does give the old salary history a bump.

Back