So, they dropped the bomb on us last week...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbeck

Reaction score
As of March 15th, 2010, I'll be officially out of a job.

Our office was a small office in a larger corporation. We function as "support" the larger offices, but we've been nearly 100% billable for quite some time due to the ability of the engineers in this office.

Still, we got cut due to the current and forecasted market conditions.

And here I thought Obama had us all saved.

I'm sorry to hear that Jm. I know two firms in the 'ham if you'd like me to check with them about needing engineers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks big time! I hope you get something lined up before the office closes. We are running on fumes here in my office and it makes for some stressful days when you don't know what you are going to be working on. Good luck!!

I am having problems getting people to pay and finding new projects. We're not making anything but the most necessary purchases at home. Still, I think that's preferable to working for someone else and not knowing if something like this is going to happen. I hope that everybody weathers this economic situation without too much pain. :(

Good luck with the job search. At least you have a few weeks notice. Hopefully, the fact that your office is/was billable will bode well for the job search.

You've all seen the Windows 7 commercials, right? The "I'm so and so, and Windows 7 was my idea".

Do you think I can put "Assisted with the development of the Windows 7 operating system" on my resume? According to the commercials, it's true, right?

Fluvial, I'd certainly like that. Problem is I'm an HVAC guy, and there doesn't seem to be many openings here in the 'ham, but I certainly would like for you to ask.

To everyone else, thanks for your concern. I'm trying to remain positive about the whole thing. It can always be worse.

Will do, jm. I'll ask around my Alabama friends & contacts to see if they know of any openings.

That really stinks JM....It's pretty much why we started our own thing here, we felt like it was coming our way too, and this just made sense. Is there ANY chance that the people in that office can pool your resources to start your own company? If you're all that busy, there's usually a reason for it. You'll certainly need to have access to enough funds to pay some salary at some point, but may work out for ALL of you to do that.

Just a thought.....Good luck though, no matter what you decide to do.

and......If we can get Brown elected to the senate tomorrow, I think we will start to see the economy turn around!

Damn.

Good luck JM. Will the company let you use any of the remaining time to begin your job hunt? My company is usually VERY lenient when it comes to people searching for jobs, ie. days off, allow you to look while at work, using printer for resumes, etc.

Of course, if they whole office is closing, then maybe it won't be that hard to do that anyway. Again, good luck.

thw whole office was 100% billable and they're closing it? WTF?

Sorry to hear about your closing. Can a group of you form your own company and take out sourced work? Remember, no such thing as problems, only solutions.

Man, sorry to hear that. I sure hope it turns out to be better for you in the long run.

Back