So I Want to Pursue a PLS License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aglei

Reaction score
So I am a licensed Civil Engineer in California and have been thinking about becoming dually-licensed by obtaining a Professional Land Surveying license too. Looking into the requirements, it looks like I will need to have two-years of land surveying experience to qualify for sitting for the exam.

Looking to gain some insight on how this experience is verified and what other items are needed.

California is a unique state in this regard because unless things have changed, all civil PE's must take a California state surveying exam to be licensed as a civil PE.  Then, to go for licensure, you just have to meet the experience criteria, pass the FS and PS and I think that's pretty much it.  But don't quote me because I am not licensed in California in any way.  The person to talk to is @CAPLS

Last edited by a moderator:
A California-licensed civil engineer will need to demonstrate a minimum of 24 months of "actual, broad-based, progressive land surveying experience" obtained under the responsible charge of someone authorized to practice land surveying in California.  You will need to submit a minimum of four references, at least one of which must be the former criteria.  You will be exempt from having to pass the national FS exam, but you must pass the national PS exam and once your application is approved, pass the state PLS exam.

Feel free to contact [email protected] or 916-263-2271 if you have more questions.  Dallas is the Board staff licensee that reviews land surveyor applications.

Back