Sandy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the fuel situation really that bad in the NE, or is it more media hype?
I can see how, because of the lack of power for many areas, the fuel shortage could be a real problem, that combined with the difficulty of accessing some areas for fuel deliveries.

I read a story about the fuel situation today. It said that a lot of gas stations are closed because they don't have power. The lack of supply due to the closed stations has made the stations with power run out of fuel. The largest refinery in the area is shut down, but the article I read said that they store enough fuel on site to withstand a shutdown of up to 1 week. So no, the situation isn't that bad, but a perfect storm (pun intended) of circumstances has led to a real shortage.

552412_454766037922807_784437514_n.jpg

An e-mail from a friend of mine:

You can't blame O for this. All those taxes NY pays and the state doesn't have an emergency plan? People don't have any supply reserves? One week warning too (granted weather people 'Cries Wolf' on every storm). FedEx and Home Depot were able to fly goods into Haiti day after earthquake a few years ago. People are too dependent on the government.
I gotta say, I somewhat agree with him.

I did enjoy the little pizzing match between the mayor of Atlantic City and Christie. Too bad people's lives were at stake.

friend in NJ is still without power. His wife and new baby head to PA to stay with her parents until power is back on.

There was quite the conversation this morning on ESPN's Mike & Mike over the NYC Mayor's decision to run the marathon. Too many resources are necessary to pull off an event like this that would be much better applied towards the rebuilding effort.

With the way the storm molested most of New England, perhaps they should have called it Hurricane Sandusky?
Um...State College, PA isn't in New England.
Not for anything but neither is NY or NJ

Wolv: change "New England" to "the Northeast" and you're good to go.
GFY, both of you. You live north of the Mason-Dixon line; far as we care down here, that's New England.

...damn Yankees... ruinin' what I thought was a good chuckler. Came up with that one myself, I did.

There was quite the conversation this morning on ESPN's Mike & Mike over the NYC Mayor's decision to run the marathon. Too many resources are necessary to pull off an event like this that would be much better applied towards the rebuilding effort.
It brings in $350M worth of revenue to the city, much of which isn't destroyed. I say hold it.

It brings in $350M worth of revenue to the city, much of which isn't destroyed. I say hold it.
I disagree.

1) It sends a terrible message as to priorities

2) It diverts resources needed elsewhere

3) It increases traffic into a city with huge problems already

4) Where are the folks gonna stay whose hotels are without power?

With the way the storm molested most of New England, perhaps they should have called it Hurricane Sandusky?
Um...State College, PA isn't in New England.
Not for anything but neither is NY or NJ

Wolv: change "New England" to "the Northeast" and you're good to go.
GFY, both of you. You live north of the Mason-Dixon line; far as we care down here, that's New England.

...damn Yankees... ruinin' what I thought was a good chuckler. Came up with that one myself, I did.
Says the guy who shows his business socks to a gal in Boston...

I disagree.

1) It sends a terrible message as to priorities

2) It diverts resources needed elsewhere

3) It increases traffic into a city with huge problems already

4) Where are the folks gonna stay whose hotels are without power?
I've seen a couple of statements that, if true, are problematic at best and damning at worst:

1. The're bringing in generators for the marathon with enough capacity to power something like 400 homes. While I understand that portable generation like that just can't be connected to those theoretical homes, the guys that write the headlines don't have the first foggiest clue and neither do most of the people that will read said headlines.

2. Marathon workers are turning away residents from porta-potties they are setting up for the marathon. Residents are forced to do their business in the woods.

3. They're kicking locals out of hotel rooms to make room for people associated with the marathon.

This is shaping up to be a train-wreck of epic proportions.

What about all of the police officers needed for security that would otherwise be providing protection to businesses under the threat of looting?

Latest posts

Back