Sandy

Help Support Engineer Boards:

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The worst case scenario for the East Coast involves Sandy paralleling the coast from Florida to the Carolinas this weekend before being drawn inland over the mid-Atlantic or New England early next week.

While the Southeast coast would face heavy rain, strong winds and rough surf, far more serious impacts await communities from Virginia to Maine if this solution pans out.

Reminiscent of the "Perfect Storm" during the week of Halloween 1991, damaging winds and significant storm surge would unfold near and northeast of its center along the coast. Similar to the 1991 storm, these conditions could last for days.

In addition, if the storm were to move inland, unlike the storm in 1991, torrential rain would blast the I-95 corridor and heavy, wet snow would evolve over part of the Appalachian Mountains on the system's western and southwestern flank.
http://www.accuweath...t-tropic/546066

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP) -- The effects of the superstorm that flooded parts of the city are lingering into Tuesday and likely will for much longer, with a large swath of the city out of power, subway and vehicle tunnels flooded, and the financial district closed for a second day.

A fire destroyed at least 50 houses overnight in Queens' flooded Rockaway peninsula and forced the rescue of about 25 people from an upstairs apartment. Officials weren't immediately able to pin down the cause of the blaze.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPERSTORM_NYC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-29-21-19-48

Ble_PE

I need a beer.
Reaction score
I noticed that they stopped calling it a hurricane before it made landfall due to some technicalities over it's shape or something, so the article I read this morning called it Superstorm Sandy. Can't believe they are capitalizing the S.

However, I hope that everyone that is in an area being affected by Sandy is safe.

Freon

Charter Member
Reaction score
Maybe more appropriate in the "Funny Picture" thread...

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
It was pretty nasty but we got through Round 1 without too many issues last night. Luckily, I still have power. Mostly just large tree limbs down where I am.

Not looking forward to when the storm hooks back to the northeast as the models show it going pretty much right over me. It won't be as intense by then, but it will still be windy and we'll get nice and soaked.

Last edited by a moderator:

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE
Reaction score
As a former resident of the Gulf Coast, is it wrong of me to want to laugh at the people of New York like they laugh at us when we would get a "Blizzard". C'mon people, it was only a Cat 1 storm, based on the news coverage you'd think the world were coming to an end.

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer
Reaction score
As a former resident of the Gulf Coast, is it wrong of me to want to laugh at the people of New York like they laugh at us when we would get a "Blizzard". C'mon people, it was only a Cat 1 storm, based on the news coverage you'd think the world were coming to an end.
It soumds as if you, too, are not impressed.

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE
Reaction score
I guess I'm a little tired of reading headlines like "Unthinkable Devastation" when there have been storms that have been much much worse then this one.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I guess I'm a little tired of reading headlines like "Unthinkable Devastation" when there have been storms that have been much much worse then this one.
I can't see why tunnels that are below sea level flooding are unthinkable devastation. That's usually the FIRST thing I think when I hear a storms gonna hit some city with stuff below sea level.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
I think the majority of the "devistation" stems from the fact that these regions are not prepared for the storms the same way other regions are. 2" of snow here makes the commute to work suck a little bit, but it will shut down operations in other areas because the DOT's and cities don't have the snow plows, de-icers, or properly equipped vehicles to work through it. Adding to this is the fact that the local vegetation isn't used to these events. A tree in CO is used to handling several inches of snow and heavy winds fairly regularly. That's not to say branches still dont break and fall, but they typically do so when they are smaller.

Honestly, how many people in NC have Northface jackets, studded snow tires, and snow boots? Probably the same amount as those of us in CO and UT with extra sheets of plywood lying around to board up our windows during storm season.

MA_PE

engine near
EB Supporter
Reaction score
when you have as many people living as closely together as they do in NYC, flooding of the underground mass transit system is quite a problem. If trucks are unable to bring fresh supplies into the city, it's a problem. The news might be laying on the hyperbole a bit, but as a locale where a fair number of national television shows emanate from the disruption of the storm effects and constant airing of the storm remnants on these national shows makes it a "national" problem.

Closing the NYSE has international implications. Storm categories are based on wind speeds. Although Cat 1 winds would be the lowest on the scale they are sufficient to cause a lot of problems in such a desnly populated area.

roadwreck

Probie-one, PE
Reaction score
^^

I understand that. But the effects that are being felt were not unexpected and certainly not "Unthinkable".

https://www.passpe.com/

Latest posts