Riddle me this batman

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on the Mythbusters episode. Apparently there were a lot of people really upset about the "snafu". There is a preview of the actual PoCB episode on the Mythbuster's website now that says the air date is going to be January 30. So mark your calendars for the day we will all see the plane take off with no problem.

BTW Frazil, there are select full episodes of Mythbusters on the Discovery website so hopefully this episode will end up on there.

SapperPE said:
Also, when I lift weights, my left arm is stronger than my right, just a tad.
There might be some other explanation for that, but that's a topic for another forum.

Update on the Mythbusters episode. Apparently there were a lot of people really upset about the "snafu". There is a preview of the actual PoCB episode on the Mythbuster's website now that says the air date is going to be January 30. So mark your calendars for the day we will all see the plane take off with no problem.
BTW Frazil, there are select full episodes of Mythbusters on the Discovery website so hopefully this episode will end up on there.
Thanks mudpuppy!

No f'in way the thing flies! :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Oh wait, I saw that episode...yes it does. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
it flies it flies

ground speed...

air speed...

force generated by plane engine acts on air not ground....

wheel friction negligible...

blah blah blah....

dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
HWY PE said:
hmmm, I know it flies, but I'm gonna play devils advocate and say it doesn't just to keep this thread alive.
I say it can't fly, the wheels aren't pushing it forward.
Sez the man who went to all the trouble of creating the FBD for the problem.

:lmao:

I remember. I joined after that thread was well on it's way to HOF though. That was a scream.

Bye the way: Welcome Back.

now let me see if I'm understanding the problem correctly. The plane is on a moving conveyor, like a treadmill, right...and then as the plane starts moving forward.....

I just called in about this to the "stump the professor" show on the radio here and totally ruined his day. LMFAO!

Back