Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting to hear on my results. Was curious what those who have found out they've passed have gotten as a response from their employers. Wondering if they're using the economy as an excuse not to compensate you better even though you got your PE.Lets hear it.............
Well I was laid off on April 2nd, so I won't be getting a raise from unemployment. On the other hand, three of my buddies have received their pass results. Here is what their gracious employers offered:

One guy in Wisconsin received a $1/hr raise.

One guy in Washington received a $0.50/hr raise and a $500 bonus.

The last guy from Montana was taken out for beer and wings but did not receive a raise.

That being said, all of them are looking for new jobs. It's not that they are suddenly smarter because they are a PE, but they all feel that they are worth more.
That really sux. Of course their employers can now charge the clients more for their work.

When I told my boss, his mouth dropped open. He kept asking me if I was sure that I really passed. (I don't think that he was joking.)
He then said that the he would start the ball rolling on getting me a promotion as soon as he was given the OK to go. Typically, it's a 10% raise. That's great, except I am very low paid for my field. I was really hoping to break the $50K barrier once I got licensed, but I guess that will not be happening.
OUCH! Is Kentucky that bad right now? Seriously, you could probably "be more appreciated" elsewhere.

Guys (and gals),

I'm to the point I honestly don't care too much about what my employer tells me...the money will eventually be there sooner or later one way or another...I'll just be happy with the knowledge that I don't have to sit through eight to ten hours in that f**king exam again trying to work that s**t out for free with a stack of old textbooks...I'd rather have the license and get paid to do it with unlimited resources at my disposal.

I don't expect anything. I work for a construction company so they get no real benefit from my having it. My raises and promotions are based on merit. I'm not any smarter because I have it, and I'll work just as hard. If anything, it might open an opportunity later on, but for now, life goes on.

When I told my boss, his mouth dropped open. He kept asking me if I was sure that I really passed. (I don't think that he was joking.)
He then said that the he would start the ball rolling on getting me a promotion as soon as he was given the OK to go. Typically, it's a 10% raise. That's great, except I am very low paid for my field. I was really hoping to break the $50K barrier once I got licensed, but I guess that will not be happening.
Do you work for the state??? If not, its time to consider a move. I was making that almost 8mos into my employment. What exactly do you do?

Got a "good job" from supervisor.

Had some difficultly getting reinbursed for $550 in books & test fee.. thought employer normally would pay no problem, so not sure on raise.

I passed and I'll be getting a congratulatory lunch with my boss next week. Hopefully we'll be discussing a promotion (and ~10% raise) over lunch as well. Or maybe my only reward for now will be lunch. Better than nothing I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you consider $50,000 to be an adequate salary for a new professional engineer? Maybe I'm delusional, but I figured I would be making more.

Would you consider $50,000 to be an adequate salary for a new professional engineer? Maybe I'm delusional, but I figured I would be making more.
That would depend on you location and how much experience you have.

Depends where you live, what industry you are in, your discipline, etc.

Here in Houston working it the O&G industry I would expect a new PE to be making $70-$100k.

It will be interesting for me to see what happens at my company. I'm currently waiting on my FE results so I have 4 years but once I get my PE I will be the only engineer other then our Engineering Manager to have their PE. I would almost expect a promotion from Mechanical Engineer to at least Sr Mechanical Engineer. Maybe even Priniciple (Highest other then department manager) Engineer seeing as our current principle will be retiring about then. Right now he's not even a PE. Either way I expect something.

it would also depend on your role in the company. If you're only doing quantity takeoffs and CAD redlines vs others who are designing and stamping drawings...

Got the email monday morning, sent a copy to my boss, he forwarded congrats message to the office, we had congrats bagels for a morning coffee break. I'll expect a little something at some point, timing is the main issue. In the land developement field we are still kind of happy to be around after 2 years of this economic mess!

it would also depend on your role in the company. If you're only doing quantity takeoffs and CAD redlines vs others who are designing and stamping drawings...
Let's just call the location in the Carolinas and 5 years experience drafting and new responsibilities include designing and stamping your own drawings for projects given by the principle engineers.

Just wanted to pass on my experience. I passed the exam last spring and received nothing as far as a raise or bonus. Was pretty discourage about this. I was hoping for news at our year end review... good review as usual, but no raise. Well a couple weeks later one of my co-workers took a better position at another company... lo and behold I find out the week before Christmas that I am getting a 15% raise!

All this to say, don't get too discouraged if you don't see the money when you get your PE. It may come when you least expect it. Also nothing wrong with trying to find a better position elsewhere if you feel underpaid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back