Response From Employer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never heard of any Civil graduates making $50K out of school. If that's the case then things have definitely changed for the better since I came out of school (Spring 03').
i was at 46k right out of school (2005) and was at 50k after my first year in the DC metro area job market.

that being said, i am now working in the public sector (not federal) and am making a lot more than i would have if i'd stayed at my original private engineering firm due to the economy...

since a pe is not a requirement of my job, i get a pay premium of $100 a paycheck ($2600/year) for passing the exam. not much, but i'm pretty stoked about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard last Friday I passed (license takes some more weeks). My immediate supervisor was really excited so that she announced it to the entire office. I'll be the only PE in my section (we have 2 AIA, but no PE. I work for a local government as "engineer 3". This means I still get paid overtime (100% pay) (I made $ 76K last year, without OT I make $ 63K). Next step is "engineer 4" with same 100% OT pay, but higher rate. PE is a requirement for that. but you don't get promoted automatically (you have to apply and compete when an "engineer 4"job is offered). There are many PE at my work that are engineer 3 for years till they retire.

With this, I don't have an immediate promotion, but when one opens up I have a good chance. My supervisor's boss said he has 100% confidence in me (I also had thanked him again for the reference he gave me). So, thinks look good in the near (maybe this year?) future.

Working for government, there was no reimbursement for fees, books or extra vacation days. But having a secure job is good already.

For the ones that get automatic promotions, good for you. for the others, work like a PE, and eventually you'll get paid like one (even if in a different firm).

I never heard of any Civil graduates making $50K out of school. If that's the case then things have definitely changed for the better since I came out of school (Spring 03').
Graduated in civil engineering in '06. Made 55k. although, since then the raises have come painfully slow. That's why I'm beginning to look around.

I get an automatic 12% raise. My review class and exam and license fees are paid by my employer.

Oh, and a party with a cake was held in my honor. :)

I get an automatic 12% raise. My review class and exam and license fees are paid by my employer.
Geez, are you the only PE in the company? It sounds like they really depend on you having a license.

This really is great.

Geez, are you the only PE in the company? It sounds like they really depend on you having a license.

This really is great.
:) Having a PE is highly valued where I work.

It's just a great group of people who are happy when someone in the office gets his/her license. My unit chief (PE) and two of my unit colleagues (PEs) helped me get into the exam. The professional geologists in the office have a tradition that a new licensee gets to display a dinosaur, so I have a dinosaur now.

:) Having a PE is highly valued where I work.It's just a great group of people who are happy when someone in the office gets his/her license. My unit chief (PE) and two of my unit colleagues (PEs) helped me get into the exam. The professional geologists in the office have a tradition that a new licensee gets to display a dinosaur, so I have a dinosaur now.
At my work we are about 25 engineers. Only 5 are non-PE (3 of those don't have 3 years experience, 2 never passed FE). So I'm nit that unique (hence no immediate raise)

:) Having a PE is highly valued where I work.It's just a great group of people who are happy when someone in the office gets his/her license. My unit chief (PE) and two of my unit colleagues (PEs) helped me get into the exam. The professional geologists in the office have a tradition that a new licensee gets to display a dinosaur, so I have a dinosaur now.
At my work we are about 25 engineers. Only 5 are non-PE (3 of those don't have 3 years experience, 2 never passed FE). So I'm nit that unique (hence no immediate raise)
I received the news this morning that I have to pass on the dinosaur, because the woman who works next to me passed her Civil PE. She already has her Chemical PE. Quite an accomplishment!

You get a party and cake in your honor?! Haha, due to tradition I get to take my entire team

to a nice restaurant for lunch where I pick up the tab.

I received the news this morning that I have to pass on the dinosaur, because the woman who works next to me passed her Civil PE. She already has her Chemical PE. Quite an accomplishment!
I thought that you only needed to pass one discipline you are set for life, and the government in their misplaced trust, trusts us to determine what we are competent to sign off on.?

I thought that you only needed to pass one discipline you are set for life, and the government in their misplaced trust, trusts us to determine what we are competent to sign off on.?
That was my understanding as well.

some state have discipline-specific PE. Not sure if it requires discipline specific education also. But to be a chemical PE, you need to pass chemical PE (Again, not sure if it requres chemical education or if any other engineering education will do)

MOST states don't care about discipline.

I work in the aerospace industry (KSC) so a PE is not required. I decided to take it for a personal challenge and it looks good on the resume just in case. My boss has a PE and 3 others out of 15. All I got was a congratulations which is all I expected. But I also sense that my boss appreciates the hard work and know doubt believes being a PE will make you a better engineer.

I got a congratulations from my boss, my boss' boss, and my boss' boss' boss. My boss' boss got bagels for the entire section. Now I'm expected to feed the entire section too in "celebration." The good thing is that the one time bonus for passing the PE will help soften the damage. No promotion though.

On another note...I would like to thank you all for keeping the result waiting so interesting. It was encouraging to know that a few other people were going insane like me, though I am glad I do not have to go through that again.

I expected a promotion as a PE is very important in my business. I got nothing.
So what are you going to do?
I don't know. What do you do. I need to do something.

It just seems so discouraging that you try to achieve something, and succeed. It was a big deal for me...I was excited and happy as heck. I'm sure my company enjoys it to and enjoys having a PE in my department, a PE to put on proposals, a PE to bill to clients. But they've set themselves up where they benefit from my success...and I get nada, nothing, zip.

So I'm wondering if you just let the man walk all over you, or do you take control of the situation and take some action.

What would you do?

I expected a promotion as a PE is very important in my business. I got nothing.
So what are you going to do?
I don't know. What do you do. I need to do something.

It just seems so discouraging that you try to achieve something, and succeed. It was a big deal for me...I was excited and happy as heck. I'm sure my company enjoys it to and enjoys having a PE in my department, a PE to put on proposals, a PE to bill to clients. But they've set themselves up where they benefit from my success...and I get nada, nothing, zip.

So I'm wondering if you just let the man walk all over you, or do you take control of the situation and take some action.

What would you do?
Based on some of the other threads on this topic, it sounds like it might be a good time for you to start shopping for another job. Overall, it sounds like you make more money switching companies after you get your PE than you do even by staying with the same company after you get your PE.

On the flip side, have you actually talked to your boss about a raise or promotion? I know you said you expected it, but people often are nearsighted when it comes to other people's desires. Your best bet might be to present your case to them. Make a powerpoint brief stating why you should get more responsibility and authority (dont explicitly say money) and what value your new PE brings to the company and how that makes you both a more valuable asset, but also a better leader in your company.

I need a 35% raise to get to the median of my salary range according to salary.com. Should I even bother to ask or just start looking for a new job? We have licensed engineer here make 52k a year. We are a structural engineering firm. Any suggestions would help as my boss just found out I got my PE Friday afternoon.

Edit: He would want me to start signing for the company.

I need a 35% raise to get to the median of my salary range according to salary.com. Should I even bother to ask or just start looking for a new job? We have licensed engineer here make 52k a year. We are a structural engineering firm. Any suggestions would help as my boss just found out I got my PE Friday afternoon. Edit: He would want me to start signing for the company.
If your boss wants you to sign for the company, I would ask him what he intends to give in return for this newfound responsibility (and liability).

Back