Reminder for those who failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, anybody who took civil structural ? I was hoping to get in touch with someone who is preparing structural for April 2020 and get some good advises from those who passed it.

If you could help, I would appreciate. Thanks a lot. 
I just passed Civil Structural on my 4th attempt.  If I have one piece of advice, it's to take advantage of every type of preparation that you can afford.  The first time I took an on-demand review course but wasn't disciplined enough to put in the time that was needed.  Second time I didn't take any review courses thinking practice problems would solve my issue.  Third time I took EET depth but no breadth review.  4th time I started doing practice problems in mid-to-late summer and took the live online breadth and depth review course from School of PE.  

I think the breadth is where most people do the best which helps offset worse performance on the depth.  If you can take a breadth review course and focus on the handful of types of problems that you expect in each subject area, you can bank on getting a lot of those right.  

Failed attempts were between 48 and 54 out of 80.  First attempt was my best performance before passing and I probably prepared the least for that one.  For what it's worth...

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just passed Civil Structural on my 4th attempt.  If I have one piece of advice, it's to take advantage of every type of preparation that you can afford.  The first time I took an on-demand review course but wasn't disciplined enough to put in the time that was needed.  Second time I didn't take any review courses thinking practice problems would solve my issue.  Third time I took EET depth but no breadth review.  4th time I started doing practice problems in mid-to-late summer and took the live online breadth and depth review course from School of PE.  

I think the breadth is where most people do the best which helps offset worse performance on the depth.  If you can take a breadth review course and focus on the handful of types of problems that you expect in each subject area, you can bank on getting a lot of those right.  

Failed attempts were between 48 and 54 out of 80.  First attempt was my best performance before passing and I probably prepared the least for that one.  For what it's worth...

Good luck!
Congrats! And wow, failing with a 54? That's rough! But I'm so glad you made it through!

I switched out of structural after failing it twice. I went with it initially because that’s the majority of the classes I took in undergrad, but I switched to transportation because it aligned closer to the work I did. I passed this time in transportation on my first try using EET depth and self-study breadth. It was much, much easier to learn transportation topics than structural, I’ll tell you that. EET was incredible.
thank you so much and Congratulations for passing this test. I heard a lot of good things about EET and thinking of using it for the Geo. depth hoping to get the PE on my third attempt 😰

Good luck!
Thank you for you valuable advise. I took school of PE on demand review course and I found it useful. My biggest mistake was time management, I did pretty well in the morning 29/40 but I ruined the average in the afternoon 18/40 when I wasted too much time on some problems that I should have skipped right away and focus on the easier ones. So I ran out of time and realized there were different problems I could have solved quickly but it was too late. This time the cutting score was probably 54/80.

What reference material would you recommend beside school of PE notes and codes ? 

Thank you for you valuable advise. I took school of PE on demand review course and I found it useful. My biggest mistake was time management, I did pretty well in the morning 29/40 but I ruined the average in the afternoon 18/40 when I wasted too much time on some problems that I should have skipped right away and focus on the easier ones. So I ran out of time and realized there were different problems I could have solved quickly but it was too late. This time the cutting score was probably 54/80.

What reference material would you recommend beside school of PE notes and codes ? 
Yes, time management is critical and there's a reason everyone harps on that.  I'm a bad test-taker (some people insist that just means I'm dumb lol) and establishing a strategy helped a ton.  Mark each question 1-3 or 1-4 with 1 being the easiest.  After you go through and solve all the 1s, go back to the beginning and start on the 2s, etc.  If it's been several minutes on a problem and you're not making much progress, move on. 

As far as references, I probably overdid it.  I took all required codes (ACI, ASCI, ASCE, Masonry, NDS, PCI, AASHTO).  ACI and AISC are the most critical in my opinion... ASCE is also pretty important.  I also used the CERM and two OSHA books (didn't even open them this last time). 

The reason the school of PE notes are so helpful is that important topics in each subject are already organized well.  I went further by tabbing out the SOPE practice problems with things like "determine area of steel" for a concrete beam or "seismic base shear calculation" so I could find them more quickly. 

In past attempts I mainly used the CERM index for a lot of breadth topics.  I found that the SOPE notes actually had more helpful information when I finally ended up passing.

Last thing... the most important part of structures (or passing the structures depth) in my opinion is analysis of structures (calculating reactions and moments).  That has always been my strongest area and if you're comfortable solving for those values in a structure without having to look at a reference you will be in pretty good shape.  In particular I utilize the beam tables in AISC (also located in CERM) more than anything else.  So much can be solved using those formulas that would otherwise take much longer. 

Sorry this was so long.  I'm pretty passionate about helping other people realize they can do it, because I've been there.  It sucks big time but you WILL get there eventually if you stick with it.

I have been a long time lurker here. EB helped me a lot in preparing for all my tests. And I feel like it’s my turn to contribute to this page by sharing my journey.

I started preparing for the exam around May. Since the Lindeburg reference manual was effective for me when I was preparing for the FE, I figured I could just go study the CERM and be okay. After self studying for 3 months (mostly weekends only), I was able to study most of the breadth part. Then I hit a wall. I didn’t know what to study for depth since CERM only covers a fraction of the depth part. After researching a lot of review classes, I decided on taking EET on demand for transportation depth. I made a schedule and sticked with it. I finished the review class in 3 weeks. Then I decided to also take the breadth review from EET which I also finished in 3 weeks. After all the classes I started doing the quizzes and practice problems myself, going back to the sessions where I was having a hard time with. 4 weeks before the exam, I took the NCEES practice test. It went well. I scored better on the depth part than the breadth. I worked on breadth for 2 more weeks. 2 weeks before the exam, EET gave the simulation test. The simulation test was tough and my result was reversed. I scored better on the breadth part. They gave the solutions and I worked the problems again. Browsed the EET handout cover to cover and made my own index.

Exam day, I brought all the references I could carry, all the reference manuals for transportation, and it was a lot! Looked ridiculous but I was thinking heck if I’d need it, atleast I have it. I ended up using most of them but mostly the EET handout and my index as my main reference. Only browsing CERM for some theoretical questions. When I was done with the exam I felt good. I did get paranoid from time to time before the results were out. But I got the result and I passed. 

I guess the main thing that I want to impart is that preparation is the key. Everyone studies differently, but you have to find what’s effective for you. For me, I thought I was doing well self studying but the review classes really helped me a lot. The sample problems, quizzes and practice problems really helped aid my preparation. I still feel that it was a good investment and would have never passed without it.

So dip you feet on the water, try all the approach and find what’s effective for you. I hope you crush the exam next time you take it. Never lose hope. You’ve come this far. 

I found out yesterday that I passed the Transportation exam. It was my third attempt. The first two times I signed up for the test, I got slammed at work and didn't have adequate time to study. My intentions were good, but I could either study or make my deadlines. I couldn't do both. I thought I was better prepared the second time because I had an idea of what I was dealing with. I still failed. It made me afraid to try a third time. Fortunately, this time around, I had more time to study. So I studied hard and did hundreds of practice problems. I also signed up for EET On-Demand for both the AM and PM exams. That really helped. I highly recommend them.

For those who are still trying, I feel your pain. It's disheartening to put yourself through the trauma of that test only to see the red button on your results. It's also not easy when everyone and his brother at work asks if you passed and you have to admit that you didn't. My advice is sign up for April. Take it again while you still have the stuff fresh in your mind. Take a review course, if you can. I can tell you that when you do finally see that green button on your results, it will all be worth it.

I finally passed the WRE on my 3rd attempt. To all the folks who failed after multiple attempts dont lose hope. Stay positive and keep the faith that you can do it.  The thing for me was taking extra time and continously going over Nazruls EET WRE prep materials. I wasnt able to pass after just taking the live webinar it took me going over the materials at my own pace. Good luck to all those who did or didnt get the result they wanted.

does any one have any advise on switching the afternoon? i failed my second time on Geo and will register for April and was thinking about switching to other field but not sure about this decision...any help?
So I currently work in the Civil Transportation field but my major is in mining. I took Transportation in the Spring and I failed and I took it again in the Fall and I passed on my second attempt. Anyway I have heard of a number of people switching to Civil Transportation after failing other exams. I can't speak to the difficulty of other exams but Civil Transportation is not a gimme. It's still just as tough as the other exams. It's worked out for others switching over to Transportation but I wouldn't go in with the mentality that it's an automatic pass. You have to study just as hard for transportation as you do structures.

I passed Civil Transportation in the Fall 2019 after failing Civil Transportation in the Spring 2019 (43/80). 24 Morning, 19 Afternoon.

So I wanted to write this for anyone taking future exams to help others to tell them how I did it. So for some background, I've been out of college for almost 9 years now, my major is in mining engineering but I have worked in Civil Transportation for the past three years. I don't consider myself naturally gifted at test taking or studying for that matter, I failed the FE the first time too and passed it the second time.

Anyway so in the Spring I didn't have a lot going on in my life and basically I had all the time in the world to study. I did the School of PE on weekends but I really didn't study that hard during the week. When I took the exam it was a punch in the gut because I definitely knew I didn't do well. I got the results (while at the dentist), and I got my failing score. I'm actually shocked I even got a 43/80 because I guess on almost the entire afternoon portion. I didn't put the time in and that was my dose of reality that hey if you want to pass this thing you are going to have to earn it.

The number 1 piece of advice I would give is if you failed you have to completely revamp your studying techniques. The consistent thing I've seen in people who have failed multiple times is that they study the exact same way over and over expecting a different result. So I looked at my diagnostic where I struggled and where I could make up points but also where I did well so I could focus on those questions first on the exam. I also realized that doing lots and lots of practice problems over and over and over was huge. They really make sure that you know the material and the only way to simulate that is to do practice problems.

I started around Labor Day because I've seen people who started really early and they burned out. I completely revamped my notes and my studying techniques and I even put my phone in a locked drawer during the School of PE classes to stop myself from being distracted. I also was extremely busy this time around so my time was extremely precious even on weekends. I had to squeeze in studying whenever I could. My estimation was 250 hours studied compared to 100 hours in the Spring.

The week before the exam I locked myself in a room and took the NCEES practice exam that's on their website for purchase. I simulated everything from bathroom breaks to taking the hour break at lunch. When I took this I did extremely well and I said to myself I can do this.

My confidence going into the exam was very high. I went through all the questions number 1 to 3 in terms of difficulty. For the morning (and afternoon to an extent) I did the subjects I was good at first. By solving those questions first and getting into a good rhythm when I started to get into the subjects I wasn't good at I started to realize these actually aren't that bad. The last hour I was starting to get worn down but I pushed through and was still actively answering questions until the final minute which was definitely not the case the first time. I came out of the exam and I was like I passed. I knew it immediately.

Anyway just wanted to offer my experience to those taking it in the Spring or the future. My top tips.

1. Revamp your studying techniques and plan to study between 200 - 400 hours to pass.
2. Start early but don't start too early as you will get burned out.
3. If you are taking the School of PE say on weekends, do the practice problems for that subject during the week after. It's amazing how well you think you know something just by listening but then when you actually start to work the problems it's a completely different story. Also I would go through the material for at least an hour the day before the class  
4. Don't study the day before the exam. You want a clear mind and you want to be relaxed. Also, try to get a good night's sleep the night before the exam but obviously that is easier said than done. My recommendation is to take off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Do your last minute cramming all day Wednesday, then sleep in Thursday. Don't study at all Thursday. Eat healthy food and make sure your only doing things like finding the exam site or getting all your books into your bag. No studying!
5. Try not to travel to take the exam if possible. I took it in Wyoming the first time and then I got approved to take in Colorado the second time and it made a huge difference not having to travel 4 hours and being able to wake up in my own bed.
6. Tabbing and organization are huge. Being able to find something very quickly is extremely important.
7. Make sure what you're taking you are going to actually use. If you haven't actually looked through a book don't expect it to save you on an exam.
8. Lastly you want to stay loose, you want to be confident. I wasn't confident in the spring. It's simple stuff like I went to the exam in pajamas in the Spring, but in the Fall I dressed up in a nice shirt and jeans. Still wore comfortable clothes for an 8 hour exam but enough to keep myself confident.

Oh and I saw a food thread. I ate oatmeal for breakfast and a turkey sandwich for lunch. I ate a Honey Stinger Stroopwaffle right before the exam started in the morning and afternoon. It gives me energy when I run marathons and I figured way not for this!

Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone studying for the spring exam.

Back