Records - MyNCEES Account

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The system is a definite PITA, but not sure how it would be easier or especially cheaper to not have one if you apply to two or more states.

If you are only getting one, then skipping it might be an option, depending on the state (some require it now).

I was asked to get it in additional states per my employer and the records made it significantly better than trying to do it one at a time. It would have cost over $200 just to have my home state verify my license multiple times.

Like everything else, it all depends on what your circumstances are. Personally, I am glad to have had it.
is your home state illinois? bc i'm annoyed i have to pay $20 to verify my dang FE results. 

aka why do i need IL to verify FE results that I TOOK THROUGH NCEES 

and send them to NCEES (who I took the exam through, in case we forgot)

aka why do i need IL to verify FE results that I TOOK THROUGH NCEES and send them to NCEES (who I took the exam through, in case we forgot)
I am in Ohio, but I think it is the same here as well.

NCEES knows you passed the test but they do not know if you were licensed or not. So, I guess it makes sense? Not really, but...

aka why do i need IL to verify FE results that I TOOK THROUGH NCEES 

and send them to NCEES (who I took the exam through, in case we forgot)
So that IL can get a cut too I guess. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to have to pay to verify FE results every time you need a license in a different state, this is why I'm going with NCEES records for this. I'd only have to pay once to verify results for FE and PE.  And I still think it's ridiculous to have to verify FE results when you have a PE; every state I know of requires you to have passed the FE before taking the PE so why do we need to pay someone to verify the FE results over and over and over. 

I am in Ohio, but I think it is the same here as well.

NCEES knows you passed the test but they do not know if you were licensed or not. So, I guess it makes sense? Not really, but...
:tardbang2:

So that IL can get a cut too I guess. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to have to pay to verify FE results every time you need a license in a different state, this is why I'm going with NCEES records for this. I'd only have to pay once to verify results for FE and PE.  And I still think it's ridiculous to have to verify FE results when you have a PE; every state I know of requires you to have passed the FE before taking the PE so why do we need to pay someone to verify the FE results over and over and over. 
exactly. rude. 

I'm also going through NCEES Records to apply for licensure in a few surrounding states. Anyone familiar with what the "supervisor" questionnaire looks like? I'm curious as to what questions are asked. Thanks in advance.

I didn't see the questions, but I think it is more along the yes/no or satisfactory/unsatisfactory kind of thing.

I don't think it requires yearly maintenance like it used to either. You only need to update it when you transmit it, but that is only after a year or so.

I just went thru the whole process. Not difficult, just a lot of hurry up and wait.
So it is that simple? I would feel bad making my references keep filling out different forms for each state...

On 12/22/2016 at 10:15 AM, allgood said: I'm also going through NCEES Records to apply for licensure in a few surrounding states. Anyone familiar with what the "supervisor" questionnaire looks like? I'm curious as to what questions are asked. Thanks in advance.

On 12/22/2016 at 11:32 AM, Ken PE 3.0 said: I didn't see the questions, but I think it is more along the yes/no or satisfactory/unsatisfactory kind of thing. I don't think it requires yearly maintenance like it used to either. You only need to update it when you transmit it, but that is only after a year or so.

I just went thru the whole process. Not difficult, just a lot of hurry up and wait.
So it is that simple? I would feel bad making my references keep filling out different forms for each state...
I couldn't imagine asking references to submit to 10 states along with transcripts, verifying license, etc etc etc.

That doesn't even include the long application that would be required.

Does anyone have advice on how in-depth the Representative Projects section needs to be?  I wrote a general paragraph for each Work Experience section (~100 words each).  The instructions are below, but I've worked on well over 100 projects/year since I started my career.  Choosing one wouldn't do it justice.

Representative Projects

Provide pertinent project information illustrating progressive experience. Discuss your role in project design, implementation, and/or operation. (700 words max)

Does anyone have advice on how in-depth the Representative Projects section needs to be?  I wrote a general paragraph for each Work Experience section (~100 words each).  The instructions are below, but I've worked on well over 100 projects/year since I started my career.  Choosing one wouldn't do it justice.

Representative Projects

Provide pertinent project information illustrating progressive experience. Discuss your role in project design, implementation, and/or operation. (700 words max)
bc i'm sending that s later tn.

There are actually states that allow PE licensure without the FE.  But they usually up the experience requirement.  I've seen several states (I think Montana is one of them) in which you need 4 years of experience with an FE, or 20 years of experience without the FE.  Why an FE counts for 16 years of experience is beyond me, but I presume that is why some states require you to verify a passing FE score... as there are some states that allow licensure without it but still view it as insanely valuable but not required, and some states simply view it as required.

bc i'm sending that s later tn.
What I did was I took a major project for each year I worked at a specific company. I described what I did. This worked for my VA application when I applied to sit for the PE. I just copied and pasted that for the record. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

There are actually states that allow PE licensure without the FE.  But they usually up the experience requirement.  I've seen several states (I think Montana is one of them) in which you need 4 years of experience with an FE, or 20 years of experience without the FE.  Why an FE counts for 16 years of experience is beyond me, but I presume that is why some states require you to verify a passing FE score... as there are some states that allow licensure without it but still view it as insanely valuable but not required, and some states simply view it as required.
Interesting. Didn't think any state would allow a person to sit for the PE without having an FE beforehand. With that said, yes I know that you can get an FE without taking the exam, like having enough experience or a phd.

Interesting. Didn't think any state would allow a person to sit for the PE without having an FE beforehand. With that said, yes I know that you can get an FE without taking the exam, like having enough experience or a phd.
Yes, its just another case of how different states have such different requirements for their exam and licensure criteria.  I have a records account, and think in general, its a good idea if you think you'll get licensed in multiple states, but its just another reason why even with a records account, you still have to fill out or provide so much repetitive information to states when applying.  They all value their autonomy and want to do things their own way which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing... its just a thing.  And as such the application process can be sort of a headache.

So, apparently, after 60 days of 'inactivity' in the records program, you need to have your current employer reconfirm that you are still employed.

I submitted 10 records in October of last year, but cannot submit it now until I have my boss reconfirm my status.

It seems there is at least one state that won't accept any time gaps in your record.

What a PITA.

So, apparently, after 60 days of 'inactivity' in the records program, you need to have your current employer reconfirm that you are still employed.

I submitted 10 records in October of last year, but cannot submit it now until I have my boss reconfirm my status.

It seems there is at least one state that won't accept any time gaps in your record.

What a PITA.
And no notification on the part of NCEES as to this inactivity period or even that you were approaching this pre-determined limit?  <smh>

2 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: So, apparently, after 60 days of 'inactivity' in the records program, you need to have your current employer reconfirm that you are still employed. I submitted 10 records in October of last year, but cannot submit it now until I have my boss reconfirm my status.

What a PITA.
And no notification on the part of NCEES as to this inactivity period or even that you were approaching this pre-determined limit?  
It is only when you ask for another record to be sent. No reason to update until you are ready to apply to a new state.

It just seems to me that the whole process could be simplified, except for the fact that you have to satisfy 50+ individual boards with one set of rules.

How long did it take for your experience to get reviewed by? I submitted mine 3 weeks ago and it still says 'Pending NCEES'. I know it says up to 30 days but,I was wondering how long it actually took other experiences to get reviewed.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did it take for your experience to get reviewed by? I submitted mine 3 weeks ago and it still says 'Pending NCEES'. I know it say up to 30 days but,I was wondering how long it took actually took other experiences to get reviewed.
I would contact them. It helps get you get bumped up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back