Records - MyNCEES Account

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geomane

Reaction score
I just passed the PE exam in Alabama and have received my license number. Now, I want to apply for comity licensure in Florida, Mississippi, and Georgia. I started completing the Record Application Pre-requisites information and noticed the Work Experience and Professional Experience sections. Do I have to go through the headache of acquiring all of this information again, as I did when I applied to take the PE exam???

I just passed the PE exam in Alabama and have received my license number. Now, I want to apply for comity licensure in Florida, Mississippi, and Georgia. I started completing the Record Application Pre-requisites information and noticed the Work Experience and Professional Experience sections. Do I have to go through the headache of acquiring all of this information again, as I did when I applied to take the PE exam???
Yes, you will.

It is frustrating. When I applied to VA for the exam, nothing I did transferred from VA to NCEES. I essentially had to duplicate everything: transcripts, EIT verification, references, etc.  :censored:

The initial is a major PITA. Then, to top it off, each state requires different levels of information. Some accept the records as is, others require applications, some want photos. Real pain when applying to multiple states simultaneously.

Wow, what a pain in the ass!

I can't wait to contact NCEES tomorrow and express my frustration!
This isn't NCEES fault, it's the founding fathers fault. The US Constitution leaves tasks like licensing up to the states. Each state has their own requirements for licensure. NCEES has tried to make a record system that is acceptable to states to accept this information to reduce the number of times people like you need to gather it. Different states have defined how much or what from the NCEES record they are willing to accept. Even with a record you may need to re do some of that due to certain restrictions from certain states (such as them insisting on you using their form for references). You could apply directly to those new states, but they will require you to have those references, experiences, transcripts, etc. just like your original state. You don't NEED an NCEES reference (well some states require it for comity, but for the most part you don't need it).

Some states require a record in order for comity. Each state is different.

• I was doing the same thing over the weekend.  The reference section is also a PITA since the link will time out if your reference sources don't check email and confirm your info immediately.  Then you have to send the request again.

Some states require a record in order for comity. Each state is different.
Some states only accept transcripts, but not references or experience. States seem to be moving toward adoption of the NCEES record, some even requiring it. But I guess my point was that NCEES is trying to improve the situation, so there is no point in complaining to them about doing this stuff.

That being said their new system leaves a lot of room for complaints. Getting references was supposed to be easier, but there are e-mail issues. If you had an existing record there is a number of items that they should have been able to reuse that they inexplicably cannot reuse from the old records system. The review system is cumbersome and slow. But needing to do the references in the first place is a fault of the states.

I'm also going through NCEES Records to apply for licensure in a few surrounding states. Anyone familiar with what the "supervisor" questionnaire looks like? I'm curious as to what questions are asked. Thanks in advance.

would you suggest setting up your NCEES record even if you're not immediately going for licensure in another state? Idk when is a good time to set this all up. I feel like we're forever asking our supervisors to fill out all of the forms!

now that it is free to set it up, i would set it up ASAP.  They only charge when you want to transmit it now.

Agreed. I need to have a license in MD so I figured I'll hunt down all these supervisors once and verify my EIT/PE once. It's more money but less hassle in the long run I believe. I think I can get my company to pay for it all anyway.

As for my previous question, what I'm looking for is the experience verification form that a current/ex supervisor would fill out to verify experience and employment. Thanks.

Agreed. I need to have a license in MD so I figured I'll hunt down all these supervisors once and verify my EIT/PE once. It's more money but less hassle in the long run I believe. I think I can get my company to pay for it all anyway.As for my previous question, what I'm looking for is the experience verification form that a current/ex supervisor would fill out to verify experience and employment. Thanks.
I didn't see the questions, but I think it is more along the yes/no or satisfactory/unsatisfactory kind of thing.

I don't think it requires yearly maintenance like it used to either. You only need to update it when you transmit it, but that is only after a year or so.

I just went thru the whole process. Not difficult, just a lot of hurry up and wait.

Thanks Ken. I still have a few sections to complete. My transcripts are under review but I have to previous employers that I'm trying to hunt down for verification of employment. The reason I'm curious to see what the form would look like is whether there is mention of "supervisor" yes or no kind of thing. I'm a bit hesitant to send to one person at my old job since he wasn't my direct supervisor and I'm afraid he would answer that kind of question as a no.

Thanks Ken. I still have a few sections to complete. My transcripts are under review but I have to previous employers that I'm trying to hunt down for verification of employment. The reason I'm curious to see what the form would look like is whether there is mention of "supervisor" yes or no kind of thing. I'm a bit hesitant to send to one person at my old job since he wasn't my direct supervisor and I'm afraid he would answer that kind of question as a no.
Thankfully in my case I still correspond with my previous employers. One retired, but I was closer to his replacement, so no biggie there.

Best of luck, it is worth the hassle in the long run.

Given how shitty NCEES treated current record holders during the update to the records system I'd avoid the records system if at all possible. Unless you need a bunch of states at once it may even be easier (and cheaper) not to get one.

The system is a definite PITA, but not sure how it would be easier or especially cheaper to not have one if you apply to two or more states.

If you are only getting one, then skipping it might be an option, depending on the state (some require it now).

I was asked to get it in additional states per my employer and the records made it significantly better than trying to do it one at a time. It would have cost over $200 just to have my home state verify my license multiple times.

Like everything else, it all depends on what your circumstances are. Personally, I am glad to have had it.

Back