Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC the first 15 A numbers are reserved for business class.  The rest either pay or are beating you to the 24hour log in.  I've sat at the site hitting refresh to get in early for the 24 hr check-in and have made it into the A's but typically 30s or higher.  That always works for me so I'm not inclined to pay at all.  I think either people are frequent fliers or the company is paying for the business class.  I think only a small percentage pay just for the priority boarding.
I'm actually paying for it on my next flight because I'm horrible about checking myself in 24-hours beforehand to get a spot (I've been recently flying JetBlue, due to it being easier to get to from JFK, but SW seems to be the only carrier flying to a place I'm going on the day I want to go).  SW is a little trickier for me since it only flies from LGA (third-world country airport...) or MacArthur (which charges another $150+ per ticket because it's not near NYC), so I haven't been using it as much?  To tell the truth, I really don't care when I get on a flight, since most of the time I just have my backpack/am traveling alone, but I like having a window seat because I fall asleep immediately when I sit down.  Jetblue I can just pay for my bigger seat, not because I need it, but because it maximizes my sleep time on the plane. 

what % of SW passengers do you think pay for priority boarding? I have checked in right at the 24 hour window and rarely get  anything better than B -end of the cattle carrier..
I used to always get sub-30 A's, til they reserved 1-15 and did early bird or whatever. I paid for early bird once because it was a long flight, and I still only got low B's. Now, if it's a long flight and I'm feeling fancy, I'll upgrade to A1-15 for $40 at the gate. 

I didn't even know they had a business class on SW!

We even have the SW Credit Card but you have to have a shit ton (metric shit ton) of points to get the priority boarding - we don't fly much so its not a big issue - but when I do I am always F5'ing like a MF'er 5 minutes out and nadda...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got DDs.   My most recent flight had me in A, but neither flight was very full. I've used early bird when I won't remember to check-in, like for a return flight from vacation and one time ended up in B with early bird. I feel like I get A more often than not with SW. Last Friday I ended up checking in a little over an hour before my flight, because of the flight change, and still got B, which made me wonder how many people don't check-in at all. 

I've recently been able to listen to and reconnect with a lot of music from my not-so-middle-age years.  Thank you, aggravating job that allows gratuitous FO time.  I forgot how a) awesome some of these bands are, 2) tragic some of their stories are, and D) I need to go ahead and get their CD's before I forget again.  

• Drowning Pool
  • Flaw
  • SOiL
  • Static-X
  • Fear Factory
  • Type-O Negative
:th_rockon:

Aside from our local flights (everything in country is 2-3hrs), we're typically looking at 10+hrs on a plane depending on where we're going. Spending the extra $ on upgrades is worth it, but even the "cheap" seats come with free food and individual screets w/ dozens of movies & shows.

I've recently been able to listen to and reconnect with a lot of music from my not-so-middle-age years.  Thank you, aggravating job that allows gratuitous FO time.  I forgot how a) awesome some of these bands are, 2) tragic some of their stories are, and D) I need to go ahead and get their CD's before I forget again.  

• Drowning Pool
  • Flaw
  • SOiL
  • Static-X
  • Fear Factory
  • Type-O Negative
Get a record player and get it on vinyl.  Way mo betta.

• Drowning Pool
  • Flaw
  • SOiL
  • Static-X
  • Fear Factory
  • Type-O Negative
I saw Static-X in concert. They were pretty awesome. 

Aside from our local flights (everything in country is 2-3hrs), we're typically looking at 10+hrs on a plane depending on where we're going. Spending the extra $ on upgrades is worth it, but even the "cheap" seats come with free food and individual screets w/ dozens of movies & shows.
I feel like this is where Lil' Jon would sit on a plane.

can we talk about the gillette commercial. someone give me your opinion? 
It another example of an ad agency using a hot button topic to generate a buzz and get the client's name in the news.

I haven't seen the ad and it sounds pretty fooilsh for a razor company. 

FWIW Gillette makes razors for women as well as men.  Men don't give a hoot about advertisements if they like the product they use it.  Women OTOH....   So the ad is likely targeting women customers.

I'd classify it under........nothing to talk about. move along.

can we talk about the gillette commercial. someone give me your opinion? 
I'm ambivalent. The sudden 180 turn from their previous decades of advertising style makes it seem disingenuous and just trying to generate buzz. If they're serious about change then this SB ad would mark a permanent shift in their advertising style and tagline. Ask again in a year. 

Regardless, this won't change which razor blades I purchase.

It does feel nice being a bit removed from this type of drama. Seems like everyone is triggered over the dumbest shit in the US. IMO it's the by-product of a country founded on conflict who has no one left to fight against so instead manufactures internal conflict just to "keep the fight going."

We're currently living in a culture that is in constant and unrelenting search of something to be pissed off about.  Seems to be more fun to get all spun up over something we see on TV rather than just change the channel or, even better, turn the damn thing off and read a book.

Back