Quiz #7

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John QPE

Straight Outta Compton
Reaction score
An equal tangent sag curve has an initial grade of -6.0% and a final grade of +3.0% with a length of 1,270 feet. An overpass is to be placed directly over the PVI of this curve. Determine the minimum required height of the proposed overpass.

Sorry it is not.

A. 7.87 ft

B. 14.5 ft

C. 17.2 ft

D. 8.67 ft

Design speed is not given (you have an A and L)

Anyone else?

Ok, my friend and I just worked on it at lunch. I thought we were on the right track but we do not match the answers exactly. Close to answer A or D I guess.

A = 9

L = 1270

K = 1270/9 = 141.1

From GDHS Table 3-36, DS is between 60-65mph and SSD is between 570-645 ft

Using interpolation, SSD ~=600'

Using the S<L formula eqn 3-53, with h1 = 8 (or use eqn 3-55) and solving for clearance, C...... C = 8.2'.

Answer A? Or where did we go wrong?

OK .... well our difference in solutions here is semantics ... my math came to 8.67' but I did not interpolate, I just used the lower design speed of 60 mph. HOWEVER!!!!!

You missed a key part of this problem. Both A and D are incorrect.

14.5 feet is the correct answer.

Remember, AASHTO requires a minimum overhead clearance of 14.5 feet, and desirable height of 16.5 feet.

Monkey is correct.

It is located in the text on page 10-21.

However, I am cheating. I'm using Testmasters, Principles of Highway Engineerin and Traffic Analysis, and Mansour notes pretty much exclusively. These are doing a great job at summarizing everything.

I would like to take a second look at this problem. Let's assume that the height of the pvi was given. Could I have used equation 79.52 on the CERM 14TH., page 79-14. To solve for the actual height required to clear the obstruction?

I don't have my CERM with me, but if the PVI elevation was given what I would do is solve for do (the offset between curve and PVI)

{ | g2-g1 | L } / 8 to get the elevation on the curve, then add in the required AASHTO offset

John,

Would you add the final value?, I was there thinking why not pick the greatest of the two?. I guess this can be a completely new question for on its own. Thanks for the response.

If I understand your question correctly .... AASHTO requires a minimum clearance of 14.5 feet and a preferred of 16.5. My understanding of this, is basically you can go with 14.5, if there is another route somewhere that provides 16.5 feet clearance.

Now why would I not pick the greater answer choice?? We are given 14.5 feet or 17.2 feet as answer choices.

The problem asks for minimum required, and I think you have to use a little engineering judgment .... 17.2 feet would just cost more to build.

Back