PTOE Oct 2021

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoping you had better luck than me:( thought I did better but I'll have to give her hell again in June.
We both failed. I thought I did better too. Just saw the Failed notification. I really don’t want to have to go through this again, but I will give it another shot in June.

We both failed. I thought I did better too. Just saw the Failed notification. I really don’t want to have to go through this again, but I will give it another shot in June.
:( I'm sorry, we have to keep our heads up and remember this doesn't take away from us or our careers, it's just a bump that we will overcome! if you'd like to stay in touch to help one another study or help answer one another questions I'd be interested. I've always found that I do better studying with someone than I do studying alone.

Sounds good to me! This time I will take it on the very last day in June so the wait for results is not too long.

@JENNGONZMART have you received your summary yet? I recently moved and wanted to make sure I didn't miss it due to being sent to the wrong address and figured we'd of received it by now.

@Tmanwatery PE have you started studying? When are you taking the exam?
I noticed that the ITE review does not cover Traffic Control SYSTEMS. Any suggestions on where to find study material? To me, traffic control systems refer to the traffic signal, microcomputer cabinet, communication device (modem, etc) and vehicle detection.

@Tmanwatery PE have you started studying? When are you taking the exam?
I noticed that the ITE review does not cover Traffic Control SYSTEMS. Any suggestions on where to find study material? To me, traffic control systems refer to the traffic signal, microcomputer cabinet, communication device (modem, etc) and vehicle detection.
I've tried to start studying by reading over the supplemental modules that ITE offered since my videos expired. From the modules, I've been making notecards to help study (up to about 50 and only halfway through module 1 of 6). I'm slated to take it on June 29th as my test site only had the 15th and 29th available and I wasn't interested in taking an exam on my Birthday. When are you taking it?

As far as Traffic control systems the best place I can think of is from Module 5 where they go over all the devices. Now like you said it's very brief but I think it covers the majority of what we'd need. if you need something more on the basics of things like offsets, cycles, etc. I have a 12-page packet from my DOT about signal basics that they use for their new signal techs that I could share with you, its super informative and helped me break down the components of timing settings? Outside of those, I'm not too sure of another good document. Fortunately for me, the majority of my engineering background is rooted in signals so it wasn't one of the things I had to worry about digging up information but should I come upon any further info I'd be happy to pass it along.

Side note, did you see the email where they'll be reformatting the PTOE soon? Not sure if this will be the last one before the reformat or not but it has me nervous as it'll contain new information and typically the test averages drop after a reformat.

I’m taking it on June 30th. Same here, my engineering background is in ITS/Systems Engineering, Signals & Signs. Hopefully the exam is reformatted AFTER we take it. Or who knows? Maybe the reformat can benefit those who have already taken it and know more or less what to expect.
One thing I will do different this time is to go through the “exam content” as listed by the TPCB, and make sure I study everything listed.

I came across these sample questions online (California Traffic Engineer Sample Exam).

Example No. 1
Rehabilitation and expansion of a safety roadside rest area has been proposed. There are currently 25 passenger car parking stalls and 18 truck parking stalls. The 20-year design hourly volume is 200 vehicles, with 28% trucks. A parking study reported the average stay in the rest area is 15 minutes for passenger cars and 30 minutes for trucks. Assuming a uniform arrival rate, how many additional passenger car and truck parking stalls will be required to meet the 20-year demand?
A. 11 passenger car stalls and 10 truck stalls
B. 18 passenger car stalls and 12 truck stalls
C. 23 passenger car stalls and 16 truck stalls
D. 36 passenger car stalls and 28 truck stalls
Keyword: additional

Example No. 2
A traffic signal operating in a coordinated system at a 120-second cycle length has 235 northbound vehicles per hour turning left. The signal has a protected left-turn phase and one 12- foot-wide by 200-foot-long left-turn lane. A new development is being built that will add an estimated 95 left-turning vehicles to this movement. What traffic signal or intersection modifications should be considered?
A. Increase the width of the left-turn lane to 14 feet
B. Increase the length of the left-turn lane to 250 feet
C. Increase the cycle length to accommodate the left turns
D. Increase the width of the roadway to add a second left-turn lane
Keyword: coordinated

I don’t have the answers but I think the first one is A and the second one is D.

first time taking it or did you do February as well?

Also, I made a Quizlet with key terms if anyone is interested in utilizing it. be warned it's about 580 cards total, still need to add about 80 more.
I’m interested!! How can you share it with me? I can share my email address via private message.

first time taking it or did you do February as well?

Also, I made a Quizlet with key terms if anyone is interested in utilizing it. be warned it's about 580 cards total, still need to add about 80 more.
This could had been such a help! But took it yesterday for the first time.

Back