PTOE Oct 2021

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traffic10

Reaction score
I have not seen a thread for the Oct 2021 PTOE exam. Just wondering, any takers?
How did you find the exam?
I was hoping that they will release the results today because based on past exams they released the results around the 20th of November.

I got my results in the email today at 3:45pm Central Time. Passed. You can check their website as well at: Connect to ITE

If you are there that means pass

Last edited:
I have not seen a thread for the Oct 2021 PTOE exam. Just wondering, any takers?
How did you find the exam?
I was hoping that they will release the results today because based on past exams they released the results around the 20th of November.
I took it in Texas. Since my background is traffic, I did not find it hard. Took me about 4 hrs to finish. PE was much much harder for me.

any advice on what to study, how much prep time, etc? I'm taking it in February and know it's a lot different than the PE and has very little resources to help guide you in what to expect.

any advice on what to study, how much prep time, etc? I'm taking it in February and know it's a lot different than the PE and has very little resources to help guide you in what to expect.
Do you have any materials to prepare? I am looking to take the test but can not find any resources to prepare.

Do you have any materials to prepare? I am looking to take the test but can not find any resources to prepare.
Any luck with studying materials? I'm planning to take it soon so I'm trying to compile studying materials

@maguir2 the modules are what I'm using. in addition to the class, they have a lot of problems you can do. From watching the classes it almost seems too easy in the sense it's what we do every day if you work as a traffic engineer with a few additional items.

I also used the refresher modules from ITE. I would say that it helped me in most of the questions. For me, I found that last year's exam was not as quantitative as I expected.

I also used the refresher modules from ITE. I would say that it helped me in most of the questions. For me, I found that last year's exam was not as quantitative as I expected.
I feel like the more I study the more I get worried, not in the sense that I don't know things more that it seems too easy. Like listening to the modules the stuff is more or less what we do every day as traffic engineers but feel like it can't be that straightforward.

Will it be that straightforward or will it try to trick you as the PE does? When I started studying I was expecting it to be like PE, do your modules then do some questions and continue to grind while here it's like you either know it or you don't.

Did anyone take the PTOE exam in February 2022 and has anyone received their results yet?
i took it last Wednesday and have not received my results. From the past threads with their release dates I'm estimating it to be the week of March 21st or specifically that Monday. Curious what did you use to study, how did you feel going into the exam, and leaving the exam?

i took it last Wednesday and have not received my results. From the past threads with their release dates I'm estimating it to be the week of March 21st or specifically that Monday. Curious what did you use to study, how did you feel going into the exam, and leaving the exam?
I took it the first week of Feb 2022. I purchased ITE’s PTOE sample exam and also bought the PTOE refresher course from them the first time I took the exam. (This is my second attempt). I also studied from flash cards I found online from brainscape.com, and also put together my own flash cards and cheat sheets. I bought an old copy of the PTOE exam study guide by Jerome W Hall from Amazon.
I felt good going in since I scored more than 90 out of 100 on ITE’s sample exam, but then during the first half I felt like all questions had two probable answers… I felt better during the second half (afternoon). To tell you the truth, this exam is very long and tricky and I’m not sure if I even passed or not. How about you?

I took it the first week of Feb 2022. I purchased ITE’s PTOE sample exam and also bought the PTOE refresher course from them the first time I took the exam. (This is my second attempt). I also studied from flash cards I found online from brainscape.com, and also put together my own flash cards and cheat sheets. I bought an old copy of the PTOE exam study guide by Jerome W Hall from Amazon.
I felt good going in since I scored more than 90 out of 100 on ITE’s sample exam, but then during the first half I felt like all questions had two probable answers… I felt better during the second half (afternoon). To tell you the truth, this exam is very long and tricky and I’m not sure if I even passed or not. How about you?
I used the modules from ITE and the reading material they provided. in addition to that, I did some practice problems my boss gave me from when he took it in 2012.

I got an 81 out of 100 on the practice exam and saw my small mistakes and realized if I broke down what was being asked I could have a better chance of answering correctly even if not knowing the answer. Kind of like the System interchange problem in the practice exam, no clue what a system interchange is but breaking down both parts helped me understand that it was a highway to highway ramp system. I do agree deductive reasoning was needed for both parts. One thing I didn't like is the modules said multiple times, the least likely type questions would not be on the exam, and then found multiples of it. Some of the questions in the PM portion I found to be very left-field type questions or ones that were also trivial that made the PM harder in my opinion.

As far as how I felt walking in, I was nervous because it has so much information that can be asked since traffic is a very large topic and you have to memorize things. I also felt like the pass percentage being so high it made me feel too comfortable when studying. After taking it, and one 45 minutes testing center technical delay, I walked out of there feeling better than I did with the PE last year, which I passed. well, only time will tell! Hope we both did it!

Back