Promotion and PE Eligibility

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhPowerPE

Reaction score
So I was asked about a promotion where I would be over 3-4 other engineers while still doing much of the same engineering work I am doing now. Basically alleviate some of the managerial duties of my boss.

My boss is a Manager and I'm not exactly sure what my title would be, possibly Manager, Supervisor, Team Lead, etc. Any idea if there are rules that exist that would prevent me from continuing to be a PE?

I'm not worried with this promotion - I'll still be engineering and I'll be over some engineers so I don't think there will be a problem with anyone questioning whether I am still "engineer"-enough to be a PE. I'm just curious if rules exist that govern how much engineering work you have to do to still be considered a PE. Like does over 50% of your day-to-day work have to be engineering? Does it just have to be over 0%? Can it be 0% if you are a manager/supervisor in charge of other engineers? Or do the state boards even care as long as you keep getting your CEU/CPD hours and keep sending them their checks?

I'm in Ohio so obviously an Ohio specific insight would be nice, but any other state rules/policies would still be appreciated since a quick Google search didn't return much info.

Lots of CEO’s are still qualified professional engineers. Some engineers working in Government who never design/stamp any drawings are still qualified.

My company has a number of folks with PEs who do zero design work ever. They manage projects & programs. They tend hold a license in only one, maybe 2 states whereas folks doing design will hold multiple states

I've had my PE for 14 yrs and never a stamped a single thing. These isn't a %. and becoming a supervisor doesn't invalidate it, otherwise how could people get the supervisors who MUST be PEs to act as references on PE applications.

So I was asked about a promotion where I would be over 3-4 other engineers while still doing much of the same engineering work I am doing now. Basically alleviate some of the managerial duties of my boss.

My boss is a Manager and I'm not exactly sure what my title would be, possibly Manager, Supervisor, Team Lead, etc. Any idea if there are rules that exist that would prevent me from continuing to be a PE?

I'm not worried with this promotion - I'll still be engineering and I'll be over some engineers so I don't think there will be a problem with anyone questioning whether I am still "engineer"-enough to be a PE. I'm just curious if rules exist that govern how much engineering work you have to do to still be considered a PE. Like does over 50% of your day-to-day work have to be engineering? Does it just have to be over 0%? Can it be 0% if you are a manager/supervisor in charge of other engineers? Or do the state boards even care as long as you keep getting your CEU/CPD hours and keep sending them their checks?

I'm in Ohio so obviously an Ohio specific insight would be nice, but any other state rules/policies would still be appreciated since a quick Google search didn't return much info.
I believe the above bolded words to be the case, although each state might be different.

Back