Practice test results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MetroRAFB

Well, I just failed my NCEES practice exam by a slim margin. Missed 9 on the morning session and a whopping 17 on the HVAC afternoon session. Overall I suppose I'm not horribly disappointed, gotta do some more depth work though. 54 of 80 ain't gonna cut it. :violin:

Many of the qualitative depth questions got me, and 5 of the quantitative questions I had to purely guess at. I even finished 45 minutes early and was just flat out stuck on those five. I felt out of my element big time in the depth portion.

All in all I was pleased with the morning session, it was much easier than I thought it would be. That is somewhat of a confidence builder for me.

Has anyone here had similar results with practice testing in the past? How bout you guys that have passed already? What do you passers think about the NCEES practice problems as compared to the actual exam. Harder? Easier? Any advice would be appreciated. "oldtimer"

I can't pass practice or real. LOL.

Actually, last October, I came out of the morning section feeling great. I called my wife, told her that I didn't think that test was as bad as everyone made it out to be, and that I had a shot at it, since I knew I blew the morning part up.

Then.. came the afternoon.

I left there feeling like a complete idiot.

VT,

LMAO!! Hopefully I'll feel as confident after the real exam as you said you did in another thread. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point with three weeks to go. I did just bad enough on the practice exam to really motivate me for the final push of studying. If I had bombed it I'd be down in the dumps, and if I had aced it I know myself well enough to say that I'd probably not study much from now until the exam. The only thing that'll shake my confidence now is to crack the real exam booklet open and have it be way harder than the practice test.

I've gotta give "the other board" some props here. The MERM index is totally friggin' awesome. There were a handful of problems on the practice test that I was able to look up cold from the index, find the proper formula and plug in givens to get the correct answer. Most of those problems were on material that I had barely covered in my review, and I would have had to spend some valuable time searching through the MERM looking without that index.

I did just bad enough on the practice exam to really motivate me for the final push of studying.
Yep. That's exactly how I felt. I had two weeks left to figure out where I went wrong and straighten it out.

I think my problem was that on the practice test, it was the first time I dd anything timed. I spent to much time worrying about the clock, and rushing through problems to finish to really pay attention.

I was much more relaxed on test day.

The other thing was that my practice exam started out rough, and I got flustered.

There's nothing like getting the first 4 or 5 problems under your belt smoothly to boost your confidence and calm you down.

Back