Power Review Course Options

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you check out the MGI Electrical PE Readiness course BEFORE you pay big bucks. I used it and passed first time. Check any of my older posts where I dicuss this ad nauseum.
PDF advertisment: http://www.pelicense.org/PEReadiness-NSPE.pdf

I used the MGI course and some key text books and was well covered.
What Key text books? What was your skill level before taking this class? I don't have an EE degree, so some of this calculus stuff is a little over my head. I've been working on figuring it out, so when I take a class I'm not totally in the dark. I'm sure as I go on I'll freak out more and more. Should I even bother, or just stick to working on the actual power type stuff. Any one's input is appreciated.

There was no calculus necessary on the EE Power exam I took in October. To be honest, there were very few problems requiring much more math than a simple formula. There was nothing very complicated at all, in fact.

However, there were quite a few questions where you either knew the theory - or you didn't. You either knew how to use the NEC, or you didn't. I took the Testmasters course, and while the problem sections were definitely beneficial, the lecture and class / group discussion brought forth a lot of the "why" type theory that I think helped me on the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was no calculus necessary on the EE Power exam I took in October. To be honest, there were very few problems requiring much more math than a simple formula. There was nothing very complicated at all, in fact.
However, there were quite a few questions where you either knew the theory - or you didn't. You either knew how to use the NEC, or you didn't. I took the Testmasters course, and while the problem sections were definitely beneficial, the lecture and class / group discussion brought forth a lot of the "why" type theory that I think helped me on the exam.
Good to know. I'm looking over some PE refresher stuff from the University of Minnesota that I borrowed off an engineer at work. There's whole sections on Op. Amps, Control theory, tons of logic, communications, etc. There's only three sections on the power part, which doesn't seem to be a lot, being that it's a power exam. The power stuff they do cover, is not nearly as in depth as what I learned in my 2 year design school.

Back