Power Review Course Options

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched the first 4 parts of Module 1 (GT), but am still waiting on the notes also. So far so good.
Dr. Callen seems to be very up to date on the material and is dedicated to this course and being available for students if questions arise.
I'm still waiting on my Log In information to be sent to me so that I can start viewing the modules...hopefully I'll be online by tonight:)

I called and spoke to Dr. Callen yesterday - seemed to be a very nice guy and helpful with making my decision on this course.

-J

I'm enrolled in the GT class as well. I watched the intro last night and am anxious to get going with the rest. I'm a little bummed that they haven't sent out the notes yet. It would be nice to follow along with the notes.
Seems promising though.
I called and asked about that - they said it could take a week or so to get all the study material (class notes / NCEES Sample Exam).

Here's a number to call if you're still having issues after a week:

404-385-3501

-J

I'm enrolled in the GT class as well. I watched the intro last night and am anxious to get going with the rest. I'm a little bummed that they haven't sent out the notes yet. It would be nice to follow along with the notes.
Seems promising though.
I called and asked about that - they said it could take a week or so to get all the study material (class notes / NCEES Sample Exam).

Here's a number to call if you're still having issues after a week:

404-385-3501

-J
Thanks for all the info everyone. I also registered for the GT class. Nice to see a handful of us are registered for it in case there are questions/problems down the road. Here's to some hopeful and positive studying. Good luck!

Any feedback on the GA Tech class so far? A few of us at my firm are considering signing up but we don't know a whole lot about it.

Any feedback on the GA Tech class so far? A few of us at my firm are considering signing up but we don't know a whole lot about it.
So far so good.

The course is organized into modules - one per week. Each module has about 5 - 6 videos in it. The videos range in lengths of time - some are 25 to 30 mins long...others are 1 to 1.5 hrs...just depends on the subject.

The modules are set up at a nice pace that flows well with the material presented. At any time, just hit pause or rewind if you're unsure about something and simply watch it again.

Its setup in a split screen mode, so on one side you can see the professor (Dr. Callen) as he is talking and on the other side you are looking at the notes (images from the overhead projector)...so it's just like you are in the classroom.

The first module is a solid review in mathematics. I personally didn't spend too much time reviewing the mathematics sessions since I felt pretty good about that stuff already. I watched all the videos, scanning through them and catching the highlights.

The second module is a solid review in circuit analysis and basic power theory fundamentals. I thought that some of the circuit theory was a little overkill, but very informative nonetheless. From my experience taking the exam this past April 2010 - they're a few problems on the test related to circuits...even an OP-Amp problem that caught me by surprise, but certainly not enough of those types of questions to kill yourself trying to re-learn circuit theory. I would honestly say, just familiarize yourself with the basics and move on.

The third module and beyond is where the real Power knowledge begins. This is currently where I'm at this week studying and so far the information has been very helpful in solving problems.

The theory is important - but problem solving is the key.

If you feel the need for a good refresher course then look no further. There are obviously multiple ways to solve a given problem...the solutions provided in the NCEES sample exams and other texts may not always be the shortest, fastest, or most efficient way of arriving at the correct answer. I've already discovered new ways of solving certain problems - eliminating several steps along the way.

For money, I think it's worth it and here's why:

It's online = Self paced = Watch it over and over = Win

-J

Jbro, thanks so much for the detailed update man. We're actually meeting with Dr. Callen today to discuss the class.

Here's what I am still curious about: You mentioned that on your first go around, you studied:

EERM manualNCEES Sample Questions

Camara - EE Practice Problems

Camara - EE Quick Ref. Guide

2007 NESC

2002 NEC

Ugly's EE Ref. Guide
That seems like an awful lot, I hate that you are having to take it again. Is the class offering anything new beyond all those books? I would have thought that studying from the above references was a sure bet.

Jbro, thanks so much for the detailed update man. We're actually meeting with Dr. Callen today to discuss the class.
Here's what I am still curious about: You mentioned that on your first go around, you studied:

EERM manualNCEES Sample Questions

2007 NESC

2002 NEC

Ugly's EE Ref. Guide
That seems like an awful lot, I hate that you are having to take it again. Is the class offering anything new beyond all those books? I would have thought that studying from the above references was a sure bet.
It seems like a lot yes - but not really when you focus on the big picture. I saw guys bringing in several duffle bags full of reference material into the exam...just insane amounts of books!

All I brought with me was the:

NCEES Sample Book - used this a ton

2007 NESC - used this a ton

2002 NEC - hardly even used

Ugly's EE Ref. Guide - used this a lot for quick formulas

Truthfully, you can have all the references in the world - but if you can't access the information that you need quickly and efficiently - then what good are they?

Here's the deal - work problems over and over until your sick of them. Then...work them some more. I think people feel compelled to utilize a wide array of resources BECAUSE they're available...why not right. Sometimes thumbing through a different text can help to shed light on one particular problem here and there...but in the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

I said this before in a previous post - a lot of the test is formulated around the general knowledge of Power Systems. It is this knowledge that is not necessarily obtained from reading books, but rather it is derived from years of experience in the field or at your job. You either have it - or you do not.

I missed not passing by a small amount - and I mean barely...maybe 3-5 questions.

It's frustrating when you look back at it and ask yourself "what could I have done differently?" Maybe, guessing a little different here and there on few problems...blah blah.

It is definitely an EGO crusher to say the least.

As for the class - we'll it's hard to say since I'm just starting to get into the thick of it right now - only time will tell. What I can say, is the structure of the course - as others have pointed out, seems to help me maintain my focus better. It keeps me organized and allows me utilize my time more efficiently and thus have more productive studying sessions.

It's strange b/c it would be like asking a friend for advice - they give it you, but it doesn't really 'click' in your head all the way...then you go and ask another friend - they tell you basically the same thing, just in a different way - guess what...it clicks this time. Go figure?

I hope you understand my analogy -- that is best way I can describe it.

Good luck with your decision on the course.

-J

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully, you can have all the references in the world - but if you can't access the information that you need quickly and efficiently - then what good are they?
Indeed, very important. Probably brought too many references that I simply did not use. Although I had a more secure feeling by at least having them there.

Here's the deal - work problems over and over until your sick of them. Then...work them some more. I think people feel compelled to utilize a wide array of resources BECAUSE they're available...why not right. Sometimes thumbing through a different text can help to shed light on one particular problem here and there...but in the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
In other posts by jbro02, this is something I'm really trying to improve on.

It's frustrating when you look back at it and ask yourself "what could I have done differently?" Maybe, guessing a little different here and there on few problems...blah blah.It is definitely an EGO crusher to say the least.
WELL SAID! Especially the ego crusher part.

As for the class - we'll it's hard to say since I'm just starting to get into the thick of it right now - only time will tell. What I can say, is the structure of the course - as others have pointed out, seems to help me maintain my focus better. It keeps me organized and allows me utilize my time more efficiently and thus have more productive studying sessions.
How are you liking the course thus far? I am really liking it. I can review certain parts of different modules as I see fit. Dr. Callen is VERY responsive (by email) on any questions you have along the way. I actually emailed him to ask how to supplement the class modules with practice problems because it felt like I was just listening to certain concepts rather than getting any real practice on example problems. He suggested to alternate a bit in watching specific modules, then applying those concepts to various practice problems. Are you doing this as well or just trying to first get through all the modules?

How are you liking the course thus far? I am really liking it. I can review certain parts of different modules as I see fit. Dr. Callen is VERY responsive (by email) on any questions you have along the way. I actually emailed him to ask how to supplement the class modules with practice problems because it felt like I was just listening to certain concepts rather than getting any real practice on example problems. He suggested to alternate a bit in watching specific modules, then applying those concepts to various practice problems. Are you doing this as well or just trying to first get through all the modules?
I like the course - very in depth so far...which is good for the theory side of things. Yeah - so far, that's what I've been doing is watching a module part each night, then working some problems related to the topic that I just saw.

I deviate a little here and there to make sure I cover the areas that I know I'm a little weaker in.

I will spend a lot of time going through the NEC backwards and forwards to make sure I fully understand the broad range of questions that are associated with that thing.

Other than that - so far so good.

-J

Is there a time limit for the GA Tech course? I plan to take the test in April 2011 but I would like to start this kind of course now because I have been out of school for some time. Thanks!

Is there a time limit for the GA Tech course? I plan to take the test in April 2011 but I would like to start this kind of course now because I have been out of school for some time. Thanks!
You can check the website for more information. From what I gather, the registration and time period to view the class modules is dependent on which exam period is next. So because the Oct. exam is the next exam, the course runs from Aug. 17th to Nov. 15th. For people taking the Oct. exam, I'm guessing most will probably not need to access the class modules anymore after Oct. 29th. And if you registered now in preparation for the April exam, your viewing access time would be severely limited as you would probably be grouped with the Oct. exam takers. I think after each exam the course is re-evaluated and adjusted as necessary to account for new/different material. After the Oct. exam, I'm guessing there will be a development period for the online course to make any changes as necessary. Then I'm guessing there will be a new access time period set specific for the April exam. I would either wait until after the Oct. exam is complete or email GA Tech with your specific questions. They are pretty responsive and helpful. You could contact Dr. Callen (course professor) directly who is also pretty responsive and helpful. Hope that helps.

Hello -
I've been trolling through the boards for a while but this is my first time posting lol.

I just took the PE -Power Exam in April 2010 and unfortunately I will be taking it again (missed it barely) in OCT 2010 :smileyballs:

I'm on the fence in regards to taking a review course for this thing to help polish up and refine a few of those areas that I'm a little weak in.

I live in the DFW area of Texas. Test Masters offers a review course which is only offered in Houston, TX and is about a 4 hour drive....blah. Not only that, it's very expensive at around $1700 plus the hotel charges.

I actually took the Test Masters course for the FE exam about 3 years ago after my first unsuccessful attempt on the FE flying solo. Ultimately, there course helped me tremendously as I passed the second time no problem.

I've seen some other online courses offered for the PE - Power Exam such as GA Tech's Review Course. It's around $875 for the course and it's pre-recorded lectures and review sessions. They provide you with the class notes and a copy of NCEES Sample Exam Questions as part of the course fee. The good thing about this particular course is that is self-paced and you can watch the sessions over-and-over again as needed.

GA Tech's Review Course

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this particular course or any others...good or bad experiences as I'm just looking for feedback at this point.

I used these books for studying on the first round:

EERM manual

NCEES Sample Questions

2007 NESC

2002 NEC

Ugly's EE Ref. Guide

I just got the updated 2008 NEC edition.

I'm thinking about picking up Schaum's book and Wildi's book as additional references.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions / suggestions.

-J

Will you tell us what problems you think you missed on the exam?

thanks

Will you tell us what problems you think you missed on the exam? thanks
For me it was circuit analysis and transmission & distribution as the areas I needed to largely improve on.
And for me it was also circuit analysis (which I dislike...but whateva) and transmission / distribution.

It's hard for me to believe because my job is designing T.L. / Distribution systems...either way, just b/c you struggle in one area on the exam - the next time you take it, your areas of difficulty may be completely different.

I remember this happening on several occasions with different people as the exam questions are random and they change from one test to the next. For all I know - the circuit analysis questions could be extremely easy this time around...who knows right?

-J

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys think the GA tech course prepared you for the exam? Jbro and knightfox, do you think if you took this course the first time that you could have passed the exam the first time?

How do you guys think the GA tech course prepared you for the exam? Jbro and knightfox, do you think if you took this course the first time that you could have passed the exam the first time?

It is a great course and concentrates on the basics which enables you to solve more complicated problems. As others mentioned Dr. Callen responsive very quickly. The downside that Dr. Begovich was very quick in representing his portion of the course.

Agreed with the previous response.

The course is an excellent refresher to the theoretical sides of Power Engineering - thus enhancing your ability to work through tougher problems on the exam that might have been a little 'outside' your normal realm of knowledge.

Overall, was it worth the $875 - sure. I learned a lot. It was like going to a of semester college again and taking all upper level EE - power classes lol.

Like some of the other guys have pointed out - this Oct. exam was way different than what I expected. The exam in Apr. was heavy on PU analysis, voltage drop calcs, power factor correction...etc....just a lot of computation style problems.

So, I prepared heavily for that style of an exam again - and man was I wrong. The exam this time, IMHO was full of theory questions and Power fundamentals that you either knew or you did not.

There was no looking up the answer in your reference materials....no searching for 'key words' in the indexes...just good old deductive reasoning and common knowledge. I left the exam feeling good about it, as I finished both the morning and afternoon sessions early (probably 45 mins to spare).

Honestly, I thought that this exam was easier than the exam back in April - even though the types of questions were more obscure and didn't really follow the NCEES Exam format.

I guess only time will tell the results. I hope everyone passes this thing, b/c no one deserves to be tortured like that again.

-J

Agreed with the previous response.

The course is an excellent refresher to the theoretical sides of Power Engineering - thus enhancing your ability to work through tougher problems on the exam that might have been a little 'outside' your normal realm of knowledge.

Overall, was it worth the $875 - sure. I learned a lot. It was like going to a of semester college again and taking all upper level EE - power classes lol.

Like some of the other guys have pointed out - this Oct. exam was way different than what I expected. The exam in Apr. was heavy on PU analysis, voltage drop calcs, power factor correction...etc....just a lot of computation style problems.

So, I prepared heavily for that style of an exam again - and man was I wrong. The exam this time, IMHO was full of theory questions and Power fundamentals that you either knew or you did not.

There was no looking up the answer in your reference materials....no searching for 'key words' in the indexes...just good old deductive reasoning and common knowledge. I left the exam feeling good about it, as I finished both the morning and afternoon sessions early (probably 45 mins to spare).

Honestly, I thought that this exam was easier than the exam back in April - even though the types of questions were more obscure and didn't really follow the NCEES Exam format.

I guess only time will tell the results. I hope everyone passes this thing, b/c no one deserves to be tortured like that again.

-J
:plusone: jbro02 hits one out of the park! My thoughts exactly. I also agree with nmh0408's response. I thought the GA Tech course content was excellent. By having the class modules to watch, it forced you into a repetitive study schedule, sort of like actually going to a class in college again (only every day). It was great on focusing on the fundamental concepts of power engineering, no matter how "easy" it seemed, it was helpful to review and then work problems using the methods that were demonstrated by the course. I felt Dr. Begovic's section was a little more in depth than was necessary for the exam. And toward the end he really rushed through everything to get through his material.

As for the Oct. exam, I prepared for it similar to how jbro02 explained. With the thought of the exam being similar to the April exam. Unfortunately this was NOT the case. With the GA Tech course, I feel I probably would have done better on the April exam. I felt pretty good about the morning session of the Oct. exam but the afternoon was brutal. There were a lot of questions that simply were just not covered in the reference materials I had (and I had a lot). And as others have said, time will tell. Good luck to everyone on their results.

Hello there,
If you are trying to take an exam, please review our information online at www.irvineinsitute.org. We have been helping students since 1973. We provide student with gauranteed pass, so what have you got to loose? Many schools lower the price but fail to teach student what they need to know for the exam. We have live seminars and archive through out the country. If you missed anything in class, you can go back to review again and again. The workbooks gave you sample close to the exam. The classes are starting soon. Good luck to you.

Tammy
booo, no spamming.

Hello there,
If you are trying to take an exam, please review our information online at www.irvineinsitute.org. We have been helping students since 1973. We provide student with gauranteed pass, so what have you got to loose? Many schools lower the price but fail to teach student what they need to know for the exam. We have live seminars and archive through out the country. If you missed anything in class, you can go back to review again and again. The workbooks gave you sample close to the exam. The classes are starting soon. Good luck to you.

Tammy
booo, no spamming.
I guess we can allow one of Tammy's posts about the Invin Institute. You never know if it would be useful for someone. Now, Tammy, next time there are specific areas in the Board to do so.

Thanks

Back