Power PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest looking into the School of PE Electrical Power course if you decide to spend money on a course. They have notes on every single topic specified on the NCEES exam specification list, including VFDs, harmonics, and PLCs. So that would save you some time by not having to search the Internet for those topics. I also borrowed the GA Tech notes, but I personally preferred School of PE.

Do you know any website with good info on PLC, VFD,GFCI, and generator prime mover? Any info will help.

Thank you very much

First of all sorry to hear you failed. Do you mind telling us your background?

I Passed this April on 1st try. I took the early PE Power in Nevada.

I should point out that I do have have a good background in Power ( took some power courses in college and I'm currently a PSE with less than 2 years experience). I studied intensely(n kidding) the Wednesday and Thursday before the exam. I Answered all questions in the sample exam from NCEES and tried to understand the underlying principles and concepts.

I Honestly think the exam at least the one I took his April was fair. You may want to look into your studying strategy.

These are the references used :

1 - Power Systems Analysis by Grainger and Stevenson ( I had this since College)

2 - NEC ( I bought this just for the exam , I do have the PDF Version as I use it for reference at my job )

3 - NESC ( Technically I didn't need this but I just took it to the exam because I had it )

4 - Georgia Tech Binder ( I added some of my own personal info/formulas to it)

5 - Power Systems Analysis and Design by authors Duncan, Sarma, and Overbye ( I had this book already and didn't really use it)

6 - Ugly's book ( I had this since college and took it just in case)

I just bought the Wildi book others are recommending on this board and received it 2 days ago. Just going through a few pages it's a great reference book for this exam. If i had this book during the exam , I wouldn't have been doubting if I'll pass or not. This book is really great.

I hope this helped and Good Luck.

I totally agree that the Wildi book is one to study. I'm selling some others but keeping Wildi as a future reference book. Very easy read and a great resource for motors and power electronics. Worth every dime. Sorry the old fellow isn't around to reap the benefits...

Bruno

If you need cheap version of that get the international version...

Do you work in the power field? Have you taken the time to really go through the diagnostic report to see what areas you are week on? I'll suggest you start from there and find a good review course (traditional rather than online I think is best ). I'm not sure where you live but I believe most big cities have some kind of review course.

Do you know any website with good info on PLC, VFD,GFCI, and generator prime mover? Any info will help.

Thank you very much
VFDs and GFCI are topics that you should get some great articles from Wikipedia . The questions on these are usually direct at least was the case in the exam I took. For PLC I think understanding basic digital theory and principles of PLC should suffice.

Thank you for all the helps from all of you. I really appreciate it. Let's says I can only bring three books to the test. Which three books do yo think is on top of the food chain and a must have?
Wildi, NEC, & Grainger IMO. And not just having them but understanding the core principles and concepts. You also need to know where everything is in the book so you don't have to waste time looking through the indices. Remember it's all about studying smart and not hard and also a little preparation can go a long way.

First of all sorry to hear you failed. Do you mind telling us your background?

I Passed this April on 1st try. I took the early PE Power in Nevada.

I should point out that I do have have a good background in Power ( took some power courses in college and I'm currently a PSE with less than 2 years experience). I studied intensely(n kidding) the Wednesday and Thursday before the exam. I Answered all questions in the sample exam from NCEES and tried to understand the underlying principles and concepts.

I Honestly think the exam at least the one I took his April was fair. You may want to look into your studying strategy.

These are the references used :

1 - Power Systems Analysis by Grainger and Stevenson ( I had this since College)

2 - NEC ( I bought this just for the exam , I do have the PDF Version as I use it for reference at my job )

3 - NESC ( Technically I didn't need this but I just took it to the exam because I had it )

4 - Georgia Tech Binder ( I added some of my own personal info/formulas to it)

5 - Power Systems Analysis and Design by authors Duncan, Sarma, and Overbye ( I had this book already and didn't really use it)

6 - Ugly's book ( I had this since college and took it just in case)

I just bought the Wildi book others are recommending on this board and received it 2 days ago. Just going through a few pages it's a great reference book for this exam. If i had this book during the exam , I wouldn't have been doubting if I'll pass or not. This book is really great.

I hope this helped and Good Luck.
I meant to say ( no kidding)

Thank you!!! You're great!! Yes, I'm working in the power industry and I need to work on everything especially on special application.

Toilalong - Listen to me!

I have taken it 5 times (maybe more - I've lost count), I finally just passed. Take a good look at your diagnostic. If you have done poorly on something 2 or 3 times, it's not chance - you need to work on those. Get as many practice exams as you can: Chaya, Complex Imaginary, PPI, Kaplan, NCEES....whatever - they are all pretty good. Take 5+ exams "live" as close to the real thing (desk alone, no distractions, no music, nothing), time yourself (do it in 2 hour blocks if you need to), DO NOT LOOK AT THE ANSWERS while doing the exams, and score yourself when you are done. You will start to see a pattern on what you are doing wrong also, I could have passed on the first try had I studied this way - I wish someone would have told me this. You've learned enough of this in school to pass, now it's just understanding the format and practicing. My school didn't cover anything on transmission lines, especially not real life, maybe theories is all, we barely touched on per unit, and I passed. I did have a lot of circuits, transformer, NEC, and lighting knowledge - some areas that others struggle in.

I know what you are feeling; I was just there. It's humbling and humiliating too. I was feeling pretty down on myself, my intellect, my education (sick and sad really)..... I did very well in school, HS (almost 4.0 GPA and 31 on my ACTs) and College (3.75 GPA), never was a real good test taker, but for this - just practice, practice, practice. There is enough material out there to test yourself back to back to back to back and see what your doing wrong. Not every 6 months and hundreds of dollars at a time, but weekly. I took at least 1 a week, every chance I had an hour I tried to do 10 problems. Before work, lunch, dinner, bed....whenever you can get a block. I averaged an exam a week at least, studied for 5 weeks before the exam only. We are all busy, you make time. I have a 2 year old in daycare, a rental house, an engineer wife who is busier than I am, a fixer-upper current house, addiction to sports, needy parents, niece+nephew in college who need help sometimes, a lazy brother - and I know other people have it worse than me.

IT WILL HAPPEN. PM me if you want more specifics on what I was lacking and what exams I used. Heck, maybe I'll sell you some of my stuff for cheap if you want.

I just bought 4 books and will do all the practice test first, will see how it' goes then i will decide from there. Thanks !!

Back