PITT leaving the Big East for the Big 10?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooooo........... What is the point bringing these schools into the Big 10+1? The Big 12 has done a lot to be a more "popular" conference and has built a history. Missouri and Texas leaving the Big 12 and going to a conference that is best known for its football history, which has not produced a lot in recent years. The Ohio State is always in the top 10, but thats because they are The Ohio State, so draw your own conclusions.
I would think that other schools would want to join the Big 12 or the SEC. All of this rumor of the Big 10+1 (which is a joke in itself) talking to 5 other schools to join makes them look desperate for ratings and programs that garner national spotlight.
College sports is a business that is built on the back of athletes it doesnt' pay.

It's all about money - TV money. That's it.

The discussion I heard wasn't Texas at all, it's been pretty well rumored lately:

Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers...

Notre Dame (if they so choose), then Pitt or Syracuse

Essentially, the Big 10 could go and pillage the Big East and force Notre Dame's hand, which essentially I think they are posturing to do. It's the teams on the West (MU and NU) that might be relavent for TV (gain other markets that aren't encompassed by the Big East schools) that would sweeten the deal.

If it happens, I think the Big East and ACC would potentially combine into a pseudo east coast grouping and the Big XII would potentially collapse and try to move west to gain more TV markets to try to negotiate a better TV deal with Utah / BYU or an Arizona school...

Again, the landscape of college football / basketball is about to change. If I were Mizzou or Nebraska, and the deal came forth, I'd jump at the chance simply because the Big XII North isn't a huge TV market alone when you look at all the schools involved - and once dominos start to fall, a few schools might get left out and have to drop to mid-major conferences once the realignments occur over the next couple years.

Sooooo........... What is the point bringing these schools into the Big 10+1? The Big 12 has done a lot to be a more "popular" conference and has built a history. Missouri and Texas leaving the Big 12 and going to a conference that is best known for its football history, which has not produced a lot in recent years. The Ohio State is always in the top 10, but thats because they are The Ohio State, so draw your own conclusions.
I would think that other schools would want to join the Big 12 or the SEC. All of this rumor of the Big 10+1 (which is a joke in itself) talking to 5 other schools to join makes them look desperate for ratings and programs that garner national spotlight.
College sports is a business that is built on the back of athletes it doesnt' pay.

It's all about money - TV money. That's it.
True - Big 10 commish wants to push the Big Ten Network into Atlantic seaboard / New York areas - or anywhere else it'll bring back wider revenue streams to its schools.

SI has 3 scenarios:

1. Missouri comes to Big 10. They've been getting shafted in bowl selection in Big 12 for couple years now. Also, Big 10 (and SEC) distributes equal shares of its football tv revenue to its schools, whereas Big 12 weights the distribution based on the strongest teams. Win-win for Missou, except for recruiting pipelines would obviously change. In this scenario, Colorado & Utah would jump to Pac 10, and Big 12 atones by grabbing BYU & TCU.

2. Pac 10 gets Colorado & Utah still, Big 10 gets 3: Missou, Nebraska, Rutgers. Big 12 & Mountain West ... :dunno:

3. Conference amargeddon! Big 10 gets 5 teams: Missou, Neb, Notre Dame, Pitt & Rutgers. ACC grabs remnants of the Big East. SEC takes Oklahoma, OK St, Texas, Texas A&M. Thus have three 16-team super conferences. These conferences vote to jettison the NCAA & form their own association. From this point on, the national championship will be decided by a plus-one national championship game.

Most likely scenario within next 5 yrs is guessed to be #2. It'll be interesting...

You really think that will happen? The Big 12 collapsing and dissolving into the Big East, ACC, and Big 10+1? I see the playoff system replacing the BCS before this happens. Or maybe reorganizing into uber-conferences is the first step in going to a playoff system, who knows. If the Big 12 was worried about the tv ratings of North games only, they would have better chances of first eliminating the North/South division. The championship game is still a big part of the Big 12, but could still be implemented as there is no way for all the teams to play each other. Don't ask me how, I don't know.

Notre Dame is the only school that I don't really see being all too intimidated by all this. THey have locked up TV rights for a while and seem to ALWAYS be on tv no matter how bad they suck.

I know College Football is nothing more than a business these days with the athletes being slaves to the system and never seeing a dime for their part. The revenue the schools make off selling jerseys, helmets, pictures, etc is beyond market-whoring.

EA is a good example, there is a company that essentially gets to use these kids in their video games for "free" by paying off the schools. The athlete that is on the cover usually gets little as well. I've seen lawsuits go back and forth from these athletes wanting a cut of the multi-million dollar business when it is their fame that is the foundation. Now granted I know student athletes get certain "perks" that normal students don't. In Div 1 (1A, whatever they call BCS teams these days) almost all athletes get their books covered by the Athletic Department. They are also given the chance at special tutoring that there only for them. Lastly, they get a few perks in classes as they may be traveling for sports and are given a little more leniency. Granted it is not a 5% cut of EA NCAA 2011 or a 1% cut of all revenue the sales of merchandise that sports their name, likeness, or number, but it is something that they get for being an athlete. Sometimes those little perks are worth more than the money (books are money, those stupid things are $$$)

You really think that will happen?
No freakin' clue :wacko: .... I just had recently read this article in SI. I think Missou jumping out of Big 12 could happen...but seems like most coaches anyways (not AD's) really don't want any change.

ND won't do jack unless Big East gets pillaged cuz that is their nonfootball conference so to say

I've heard the Big 10 will raid the Big 12 scenario. The permutation is that Texas will leave the Big 12 and go to the SEC-West. There's a win-win. They get to compete in a real conference and Texas is a good fit for the SEC, and the SEC has a monopoly on what are arguably the top 3 power house football schools in the country, maybe the top 5 depending on the year. The only hitch is that the Texas legislature won't let Texas go to the SEC without the SEC taking Texas A&M. It is widely speculated that Arkansas is going to leave the SEC. The SEC will move Tennessee to the SEC-West, then they need 3 teams to fill up the SEC-East. The SEC-east would take Clemson, Miami, and Florida State. Then the SEC/ESPN have a lock on all the football markets in the southeast.

You really think that will happen?
No freakin' clue :wacko: .... I just had recently read this article in SI. I think Missou jumping out of Big 12 could happen...but seems like most coaches anyways (not AD's) really don't want any change.

ND won't do jack unless Big East gets pillaged cuz that is their nonfootball conference so to say
Sorry, I was trying to respond to TD. My response got a little long winded and I didn't quote him. I sometimes forget my forum etiquette.

Back