PITT leaving the Big East for the Big 10?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go ahead and send Pitt/ND to the Big 10. Just another couple of teams for Ohio State to beat up in football and basketball, Penn State to beat up in football, Illinois in basketball (or maybe even both).

Texas would make no sense to me whatsoever. Are they even on the quarters system schedule wise? Is Pitt?

I agree Texas makes no sense. Not anywhere near the region, the travel schedule would be crazy. If the Big 10 adds another team to make 12, that school needs to be located somewhere in the midwest/great lakes area.

As a Texas alum, I would hate to see them change conferences, and it makes little to no sense that they would. When the talking heads dive into the subject, they always talk about the "Big 10 money", but UT is not hurtin' for cash.

UPDATE:

Reading this thread got me interested. I went to ESPN.com; and now Nebraska has come up. It makes a better fit than Texas, and given a couple year Nebraska could dominate the "Big 10+2". (Maybe they could rename the conference "The Hypothermia 12".)

But my thought is "What about Iowa State?"

Last edited by a moderator:
It would make little or no sense for UT to leave the Big 12. The Big 12 gives everything to UT they have ever asked for. If someone was to leave the Big 12 it would be from the North Division, you know the one the Conf screwed over in order to appease Texas.

I can see the Big 10 wanting some exposure on the coast for the conference, Rutgers has a very attractive location, putting OSU, UofM et in the NY City area would be attractive, but I don't know how well the school fits with what the Big 10 is. Mizzu would be a good fit from a school/athletic dept standpoint but has a bad location. Not on the Atlantic Coast or next to a very large city. Mizzu is in a smaller "college" town right? The Big 10+1 already has plenty of those.

At first I didn't think Pitt fit well, but now that I mull it over, they are probably the best fit. Men's basketball and Football are both pretty competitive and on the Basketball side it makes the Big 10 a powerhouse IMHO.

Out in my neck of the woods the Pac-10 is looking at expanding, I think Utah and Colorado are the main targets. People have spoken about Boise State, but their academic programs are equivalent to a very good Junior College and the Athletic Dept as a whole isn't up to snuff so to speak. BYU has been tossed around, but being owned by the LDS Church, is a huge hurdle that I don't see the University Presidents overlooking that little fun factoid. Especially after the LDS funded some very divisive legislation in California.

As a Texas alum, I would hate to see them change conferences, and it makes little to no sense that they would. When the talking heads dive into the subject, they always talk about the "Big 10 money", but UT is not hurtin' for cash.
UPDATE:

Reading this thread got me interested. I went to ESPN.com; and now Nebraska has come up. It makes a better fit than Texas, and given a couple year Nebraska could dominate the "Big 10+2". (Maybe they could rename the conference "The Hypothermia 12".)

But my thought is "What about Iowa State?"
One thing to keep in mind with the B10 expansion is the Big Ten Network's deal with Comcast. Their contract says that Comcast will put BTN in their basic cable package for every subscriber located in a state with a B10 school. That means that if the B10 adds a school from a "new" state, Big Ten Network gets subscription money every month for every Comcast subscriber in that state.

(I've heard it's $1.10 per month, per subscriber).

That's why I don't see Iowa State, Pitt or Cinci as real possibilities - because there is more money to be made by adding a school outside of the existing Big Ten footprint, like Texas, Missouri, Syracuse, Rutgers or Maryland. (I purposefully excluded Nebraska because they don't bring any big TV markets with them).

On another note, I've also heard some rumors floating around about Clemson leaving the ACC for the SEC and Arkansas getting the boot from the SEC. I kind of hope that's true. With all that ESPN money floating around the SEC that would seem to be a good thing.

:wv: hasn't even been asked or looked at by the Big10, once again, we are the red-headed step child. LOL

it's a 'new' state, but Comcast only serves a small portion of our state, TimeWarner is the big cable provider here.

: :wv: : hasn't even been asked or looked at by the Big10, once again, we are the red-headed step child. LOL

it's a 'new' state, but Comcast only serves a small portion of our state, TimeWarner is the big cable provider here.
I'm sure BTN gets cash from each TimeWarner subscriber as well. It's just that the BTN / Comcast battle was the biggest, so I know more about the Comcast deal than any other.

But the knock I keep hearing about WVU is their academic rank. All the present B10 schools are considered Tier 1 schools. I believe West Virginia is a Tier 3. (I'm just the messenger. I neither researched these claims nor disparaged the academics of your beloved university).

All the present B10 schools are considered Tier 1 schools. I believe West Virginia is a Tier 3. (I'm just the messenger. I neither researched these claims nor disparaged the academics of your beloved university).
What/who determines the tiers?

All the present B10 schools are considered Tier 1 schools. I believe West Virginia is a Tier 3. (I'm just the messenger. I neither researched these claims nor disparaged the academics of your beloved university).
Peer assessment, retention rate, selectivity, faculty, financial resources, alumni contributions are some of them. U.S News does the tiers, with 1 being highest and 4 being the lowest.

It's heralded as being pretty much a crock of sh*t.

One thing to keep in mind with the B10 expansion is the Big Ten Network's deal with Comcast. Their contract says that Comcast will put BTN in their basic cable package for every subscriber located in a state with a B10 school. That means that if the B10 adds a school from a "new" state, Big Ten Network gets subscription money every month for every Comcast subscriber in that state.
(I've heard it's $1.10 per month, per subscriber).

That's why I don't see Iowa State, Pitt or Cinci as real possibilities - because there is more money to be made by adding a school outside of the existing Big Ten footprint, like Texas, Missouri, Syracuse, Rutgers or Maryland. (I purposefully excluded Nebraska because they don't bring any big TV markets with them).

Can't argue with your logic. But I just can't see the Big 10 crafting a psckage that would pull Texas or Missouri away from the Big 12. Nebraska could be "bought" for a better price, and they have a rabid fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peer assessment, retention rate, selectivity, faculty, financial resources, alumni contributions are some of them. U.S News does the tiers, with 1 being highest and 4 being the lowest.
The only thing that I have seen the tier system applied to a the college level is law schools. It would be kind of dumb to base athletic conference affiliations on what tier their law school falls under.

The only thing that I have seen the tier system applied to a the college level is law schools. It would be kind of dumb to base athletic conference affiliations on what tier their law school falls under.
It goes by all their schools. If you look at the US News rankings, you can even filter by tiers 1-4. Several engineering-heavy schools fall into the top tier.

The B10 seems to put a lot of stock in the rankings - probably because their schools are all highly ranked.

It's similar to the way PEs think it's a big deal to be a PE and PhDs think it's a big deal to be a PhD.

The rankings will get you in the ballpark. When it comes to one school leapfrogging another, that's the crock, as they will manipulate the weights on an annual basis to create shifts.

This report has no confirmation from any source so it could be completely incorrect and false - but essentially...

Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers = 14 in Big 10

ND is asking if they'd accept, if so:

ND and (Pitt/Syracuse) to finish 16

No one will comment officially on any of this, so it's all just speculation at this point:

http://www.810whb.com/article/3527#

Sooooo........... What is the point bringing these schools into the Big 10+1? The Big 12 has done a lot to be a more "popular" conference and has built a history. Missouri and Texas leaving the Big 12 and going to a conference that is best known for its football history, which has not produced a lot in recent years. The Ohio State is always in the top 10, but thats because they are The Ohio State, so draw your own conclusions.

I would think that other schools would want to join the Big 12 or the SEC. All of this rumor of the Big 10+1 (which is a joke in itself) talking to 5 other schools to join makes them look desperate for ratings and programs that garner national spotlight.

Back