Penn State Mess

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no great way to handle the situation. You can't let the football program get away with this stuff, on principle. But the guilty parties are dead, incarcerated, or awaiting, so the only ones being hurt by this are people that have nothing to do with it.
Yep, I think the NCAA way overstepped their role in this - vacating wins? Really?! What possible purpose or justice does that even serve?

^ not funny...

I am getting made fun of left and right and the jokes about showers and little boys is starting to piss me off to the point where I've closed my cubicle door...
Two questions:

1. did you actually attend PSU or are you just a fan?

2. your cubicle has a door?

I took a few summer classes at the Scranton campus back in 1998 (ironically) there but eventually graduated from SU.. raised by a PSU grad though... you can't just change the team you pull for when you grow up...

and yes my cubicle has a door.

Last edited by a moderator:
So. Not sure that I agree with this point, but I heard someone on sports radio saying that the fact that Penn State didn't get the "death penalty" was tantamount to saying that having a slush fund and paid student atheletes (SMU) was worse than child rape and covering it up according to the NCAA.

I guess the NCAA was trying to minimize the impact on current players at Penn State, where as at SMU they were trying to punish some of the current athletes...

So. Not sure that I agree with this point, but I heard someone on sports radio saying that the fact that Penn State didn't get the "death penalty" was tantamount to saying that having a slush fund and paid student atheletes (SMU) was worse than child rape and covering it up according to the NCAA.

I guess the NCAA was trying to minimize the impact on current players at Penn State, where as at SMU they were trying to punish some of the current athletes...
I would say that on top of the NCAA sanctions many of the people involved in the cover up are facing legal prosecution, so the punishment for the individuals responsible could be far more severe. In the case of SMU no laws were broken, just NCAA rules, so maybe that factored into the NCAA bringing a harsher penalty? Or maybe after doling out the death penalty and seeing how it can decimate a program and school they are unlikely to utilize it again.

In any case the NCAA sanctions seldom actually punish those responsible, the person or persons who broke the rules are usually long gone by the time the NCAA finds out (look at Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush at USC, by the time the NCAA imposed sanctions they were both in the NFL and no longer subject to NCAA punishments). Their sanctions are usually meant to punish the institution for lack of institutional control and really are only meant to dissuade other programs from doing something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penn State was a criminal act...nothing at all to do with sports other than being at the athletic venues. Everyone involved has been fired or is being tried in criminal court (except the board of trustees who should be)...the NCAA is reaching and overstepping.

...the NCAA is reaching and overstepping.
I feel part of the reason it was covered up was to prevent the negative publicity the football program would receive. That's why the NCAA stepped in. The ability for the football program to win and recruit was put ahead of the well being of innocent individuals, who were continually put at risk by the actions of the leaders of Penn State football.

Meh. People are still boo-hooing for a football team and its staff. In that regard, I couldn't care less.

If it were LSU, I still couldn't care less. The school laid off how many teachers over the past few years? Cut funding to engineering / math / science departments for how long? Paid a football coach how much? Expanding a stadium to ~100,000 seats for how much?

This is stupid.

Suprised NCAA hasnt yet gone after Notre Dame for Catholic priest 'transgressions' awhile back :rolleyes:

Back