PE and Money

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there a lot of Energy Services work in Florida? A CEM and BEAP from Florida post back-to-back...

I'm not sure if there is any surplus of energy service work here compared to the rest of the country.

Energy audits, commissioning and the like aren't the main service that the firm I work for provides, they're more ancillary. Although I do know of two local companies that try to sell a lot of them. One of which uses them as more of a selling tool, to try to get owners to purchase their newer and more efficient equipment.

We mainly provide MEP/FP construction documents and construction admin.

I'll probably end up with the CEM and BEMP fairly soon as well. The industry seems to love certifications, who knows how many I'll eventually have. As long as my employer wants to purchase them, I'm OK with it.

I'm not sure if there is any surplus of energy service work here compared to the rest of the country.

Energy audits, commissioning and the like aren't the main service that the firm I work for provides, they're more ancillary. Although I do know of two local companies that try to sell a lot of them. One of which uses them as more of a selling tool, to try to get owners to purchase their newer and more efficient equipment.

We mainly provide MEP/FP construction documents and construction admin.

I'll probably end up with the CEM and BEMP fairly soon as well. The industry seems to love certifications, who knows how many I'll eventually have. As long as my employer wants to purchase them, I'm OK with it.

Tell me about it... I've got more letters than I know what to do with. Seems almost counter productive.

I passed the PE this fall (Civil Engineering - Structures). I was told this morning that I wouldn't be getting a raise/promotion since our annual raises were distributed recently.

Needless to say, the news killed my productivity for the day.

Yep.. I go above and beyond what is required and require little direction.

Sorry, I misread your question. It's been a long day. Yes, I received a raise; I think everyone did since our company distributes annual raises/increases due to cost of living at the end of the year. I was told my raise was above average based on my performance (described above); nothing was discussed about the PE since I didn't get the results yet. Now that I have the results, I was told that I just got a raise and won't get another. I guess I see annual adjustments and PE adjustments as two seperate animals.

Sorry, I misread your question. It's been a long day. Yes, I received a raise; I think everyone did since our company distributes annual raises/increases due to cost of living at the end of the year. I was told my raise was above average based on my performance (described above); nothing was discussed about the PE since I didn't get the results yet. Now that I have the results, I was told that I just got a raise and won't get another. I guess I see annual adjustments and PE adjustments as two seperate animals.
They should be separate. I just received a 10% PE raise and was told that this was independent from mid year raises.

They should be separate. I just received a 10% PE raise and was told that this was independent from mid year raises.
I agree with engrstructural11. They should be totally separate as getting a PE is totally separate matter than your normal annual performance review.

Here are some points to ponder--- Money is nice, but not the end all factor. Liking your job, your colleagues, your office environment and the work that you do is a hell of a lot more important than another $5-6000. Don't think so? Well, get the raise and get a job that you hate. You will see my logic. It is tough to get up every morning, get ready, kiss the spouse, kick the dog and go-- if you hate to think about what the day is going to be. And Normally, every day is just about the same as yesterday. Contrast that with a $5000 less salary, but you are fired up to go every morning, are excited to be there, enjoy what you do, enjoy the environment, colleagues, work etc. The day goes by ZOOOM-- and you are done.

OK, you passed the PE exam. Time to have a talk with the pointy haired boss and point out the additional VALUE you bring to the firm. OK-- why are you different today from yesterday? Well, I have passed a nationally recognized examination sanctioned by the state you live in, I add more prestige to the firm and you can bill me at a higher rate-- I am a PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER. I passed the test and the State says so.

Now, I am not suggesting that you use the emotional approach to this argument, however, I am suggesting that you have a talk with the boss and clearly identify and illuminate the additional value that you now bring to the firm. If he is as dull as the pointy haired boss in Dilbert, then......................................................................... , we will have to find a friend like Alice, Dilbert's co-worker to soften him up a little.

I would strongly suggest looking at other opportunities-- yeah, it is a hassle to move, make new friends, live in a new city, etc. etc etc. It is also nice to have a 15-20% raise in salary and learn some new skills. Of course, if you don't want to move, fine-- however, recognize that moving is the way to increase salary. Moving is not for everyone-- it is a hassle, especially if you have children. Little children are no problem, they will and can adapt. Middle school/high schoolers require some additional attention, however, they too can move.

The cost of hiring a new employee is normally about 1 years salary. Most pointy haired bosses are willing to adjust your salary if you get real serious about a move. Of course, this assumes that you are not a dolt and are making a positive contribution to the firm. If not, the boss may be happy to see you try a new adventure.

just got a 8.2% raise. This is around the same time we usually get our annual raises of ~2% so my guess i that ~6% was for the PE.

Not as much as i would have liked, but i am happy doing what i am doing.

Side note: What is the correct "raise" etiquette? nobody informed me of my raise, i just noticed it on my paycheck this week. Should i call the head of the department and thank him?

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what...just thinking about this...i am not happy with the raise i got. I believe a 10% raise is more than fair.

Should i counter offer?

Typically, you would be given the merit increase amount near the end of your employee performance review. Which is also typically performed at the end/very beginning of the year by your direct supervisor. During the review you would generally discuss things you've done well, things that could use improvement, and agreed upon goals for you during the upcoming year. IMO, every employee should have some type of annual review even if it is brief so that they can gain an understanding of how they are performing. And if the employee is performing at or above company expectations, I feel an industry standard merit increase (3-5%) is in order.

When I received my PE license, I asked to take on more responsibility and therefore asked for a 10-15% raise. I justified this request with instances of how I was taking on more work and provided concrete examples of such. My raise request was given as a range because I didn't want to be held to a hard number. I wanted my supervisor to pick something in that range that he felt was fair. HTH.

BTW, have a look at this thread which contains some very good discussions aligned with this same topic.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=14835

When I received my PE license, I asked to take on more responsibility and therefore asked for a 10-15% raise. I justified this request with instances of how I was taking on more work and provided concrete examples of such.
This is the important part that everyone needs to re read over and over.

Most employers aren't going to give you extra just for getting your PE if your job duties/responsibilities don't change. It is up to you (the employee) to gain more responsibility or justify why you should earn more. What value you are you providing to your employer.

Probably still won't get a pay raise and so therefore switch companies.

I passed Electrical Power PE last October first shot. I work in an MEP firm in Northern Virginia/DC area.

It is about time for me to bring up the money topic wth my boss. I was on vacation past 3 weeks and never got a chance to talk.

I have done some research, but also wanted the opinion of engineers on EB about my currect market value. Any help will be appreciated.

Info:

Education: BS Electrical Engineering

License: PE Electrical Engineering - Power

Experience: 5 years - Commercial Power/Lighting/Fire Alarm/Security System Design

Area: Northern Virginia/DC

Have you looked at the various online salary resources to see how you compare? That's what I did when I was looking to get a raise. But I also had it well-documented on the additional responsibilities I was taking on which added value to the company. I didn't ask for a raise simply because I became a licensed engineer.

Thanks ShipWreck and knghit1fox3.

bls.gov is a good resource, but I was looking for a more specific range (e.g. how much would a MEP firm offer me after a successful interview).

I did look up online various resources inclusding engineersalary.com and salary.com, and various job ads to compare myself to other peers in my league.

knghit1fox3,

when you did your research and documented all your responsibilities, how much (in % based on your base salary) did you get ?

I think any raise below 15% of my current salary will be low.

Back