NYS PE Application

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedstripeCE

Reaction score
I've just recently started looking into the application process to sit for the PE Exam and have started typing up previous work experience to be verified.
Quick background... I graduated with a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering in 2008 and have worked in construction management since with the exception of 2-1/2 years in 2013-2015 in an unrelated profession. I did pass the FE exam 10 years ago. I'm going for approval to take the Civil - Construction Exam.
Some questions:
1. It appears that NYS allows you to use their forms 2, 3, 4 and 4A to apply for approval OR you can use NCEES record to apply. For those that have recent experience in signing up for the exam, in your opinion which is the better option?
2. In using NCEES record it states that you can not have a gap in your previous employment starting from graduation of college even if you're working in an unrelated field (my situation). If using NYS forms I didn't see where you needed to list all of your work experience, I'm assuming you can just list the years of experience you're looking for verification on and skip anything that is unrelated or wouldn't count towards your 4 years of required experience?
3. I had 2 years of experience that was in relation to my field but did not work under a PE and have not yet been able to track down my supervisor that would need to verify this experience. Would it look poorly to have another gap if I'm unable to get verification? If I am able to get it verified will it hold the same amount weight since this verifier is not a PE?

Working in construction management my design experience is very limited so I'm a little nervous about having the experience validated to sit for the exam. Any tips from anyone in a similar position that was able to successfully have their experience verified and approved would be greatly appreciated.

It feels like I've got a long road ahead of me but I'd like to get my experience validated ASAP so I can start cracking the books. Thanks!

Back