PE and Money

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked-- you have to get it from NSPE-- it costs $25 now. Sorry-- it was up, but they took it down.

Here is some data that came out in the December 2013 PE magazine, page 4.

Top Average Starting Salaries for Class of 2013 Bachelor's Degree Graduates

$96,200----- Petroleum Engineering

$70,300----- Computer Engineering

$66,900----- Chemical Engineering

$64,100----- Computer Engineering

$63,900----- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronautical Engineering

$63,900----- Mechanical Engineering

$62,500----- Electrical/Electronics/Computer Engineering

$60,900----- Engineering Technology

$60,300----- MIS/Business

I suspect that if other disciplines are not listed, it was because they did not have any data to reflect that discipline. If one were to assume a nominal 5% pay raise per year, which may be a stretch in today's environment, one could, I believe, figure out rather accurately where they should be at 4 years of experience and taking the PE exam. In fact, I think that you could build a spreadsheet and do sensitivity analysis with various pay raise percentages to see where you should be.

Of course, this chart does not address particular locales, i.e., East Coast, West Coast, size of firm, etc. However, this is a starting solution to begin to determine where you may wish to develop an argument for a raise when you pass the PE examination.

Wow, a petroleum engineer starting is close to 6 figures? :blink: That's impressive.

Large City owned Public Utility in Orange County, CA

7 years,

$120,000/yr

$183,000/yr with OT(Water Field Operations)

BS Civil Engineering

EIT....hoping I passed Seismic and Survey to obtain PE license....finally.

Wow, a petroleum engineer starting is close to 6 figures? :blink: That's impressive.

A close college friend started at Shell right after graduating at around 120K or so. Now that's oil in the gulf which may be better money than gas in shale.

BS - Civil & Environmental Engineering (Structural emphasis)

MS - Structural Engineering

(Both from Virginia Tech)

4 yrs experience

Just passed PE this October. Received a $2K bonus before I had the chance to have the talk.

Go have the talk. They know what you are worth and they also know that with the PE now, you are worth more than the $2000 they gave you earlier in the month. Big Boys-- Big BALLS-- go for it.

120k is good money, but would stink to live on a drill ship or in a man camp. I'm pretty damn happy there is shale in the backyard, and 96k is nothing to sneeze at.

In case anyone is looking for another source to negotiate their salary, ASCE and ASME have a joint salary survey from 2012. It breaks down each job function, length of experience, education, industry, metro area etc... similar to NSPE's document it seems.

You can download the PDF, if you want, off of ASME's website.

The website glassdoor.com has salary data which can be searched by job title and location. PE licensure, however, does not appear to be included in the data for engineering positions.

had the talk last Friday with my supervisor.

was told that i already make about the same as a couple other similarly qualified coworkers in our SC office (~58k). I presented all of my information from Indeed.com, Salary.com, and the ASCE salary survey, and he seemed pretty receptive about it.

He is now taking it to the COO of our division, so we will see. I would be happy with a 10% raise. I will not take on the added stress and responsibility of signing/sealing plans until I am paid accordingly. 10% would put me right near 65k per year. Am i asking too much.

(all the research i did for; my area, company size, responsibilities, etc. showed an average of $70-75k per year)

I asked for lower $70k and they came back with $67k which is enough to keep me around. I'm sure I can get paid more if I moved , but there is the added cost of starting over with a new firm. I'm happy with where I am, and that's really the question. Will you be happy with the offer they come back with. If you just want to maximize your $$ then you can always shop around.

had the talk last Friday with my supervisor.

was told that i already make about the same as a couple other similarly qualified coworkers in our SC office (~58k). I presented all of my information from Indeed.com, Salary.com, and the ASCE salary survey, and he seemed pretty receptive about it.

He is now taking it to the COO of our division, so we will see. I would be happy with a 10% raise. I will not take on the added stress and responsibility of signing/sealing plans until I am paid accordingly. 10% would put me right near 65k per year. Am i asking too much.

(all the research i did for; my area, company size, responsibilities, etc. showed an average of $70-75k per year)

I don't know about your situation, but I don't expect to be signing anything for 12-15 years. But the simple fact we are at least allowed to sign now should give them incentive to pay us more.

I asked for lower $70k and they came back with $67k which is enough to keep me around. I'm sure I can get paid more if I moved , but there is the added cost of starting over with a new firm. I'm happy with where I am, and that's really the question. Will you be happy with the offer they come back with. If you just want to maximize your $$ then you can always shop around.

I recommend you take a class in negotiating and economics. I think you are well below market value for your services.

I recommend you take a class in negotiating and economics. I think you are well below market value for your services.

What salary level would you put someone in the south? ME w/ 4 yrs experience in the industry?

I've been at a few different places in my career and am very happy with my company. I think that's worth something, but not everyone puts value on the same thing?

Just got 11% raise and $2,500 bonus....it pays to take the PE exam!....was not expecting a bonus.

BS Civil Eng - May 07

MS Structural Eng - Jan 09

PhD Civil Eng - In progress (~50% complete)

5 years post-grad experience

3 years pre-grad experience (internships, co-ops and research positions)

PE 2012

SE exams passed, getting application together

Made $70k +/- for the past 3 years at the same company. Pay raise each year has been 3% (2% cost of living increase - 1% "merit" increase). However bonuses have fallen drastically each year so I net -5% total salary each year. Got no raise for my PE. End of year reviews coming up... what should I be looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tampa, FL

BSME

MBA

PE; LEED AP BD+C; ASHRAE BEAP

5+ yrs experience post BSME in current firm

Currently a project manager in a very small consulting firm in the A&E industry.

55K, +paid for expensive MBA.

Finished school recently and wondering if I will get a raise.

I know I'm underpaid. Have been kept on the hook with school reimbursement as well as promises to be given ownership of the firm as well as become principal once owner retires.

I do really like working for the company, but have been contemplating if its worth the lower salary. Plus it's my first job out of college.

Miami, FL

BSME

PE, CEM

4.5 years with current Fortune 500 company post grad.

I am an energy engineer (hvac analysis, equipment selection, some project management)

$70k and 5% bonus potential.

Just passed the PE exam and wondering where I stand for a promotion/raise. I am the only engineer of the group of three here that has the PE. Not really actively looking, but hate not maximizing potential earning potential.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back