Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I waited for nearly nine months after passing PE and no raise, so I decided to ask for one.  A week after I asked and they just gave me a 13% raise to $32.00/hr
At least you are doing 32/h....im doing much less than that...20/h

^^^ $20/hr? Last time I was that low was back in 2006 (2 years BEFORE I got my PE). Certainly illustrates the variability of incomes & cost living across the country.

Yup but im really under paid...engineering firms here usually provides $36/h...hoping to get something like that soon

A common occurance I see is people just sit back and don't say a thing. Management assumes you're happy and nothing ever changes.

I'm not saying you havent approached management and voiced your displeasure, but there may be others out there that are waiting for management to figure this out on their own. There are respectable ways of approaching the salary issue, and just addressing it shows initative/ambition.

It hurts the entire profession to have underpaid engineers out there, we don't want that to become the norm.

Hope you get a boost soon.

So I got my PE after I passed the October 2010 Exam. Still with the same company but haven't really made a move yet due to the economy. I am considering it though since I haven't been promoted to a project engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all. Just thought I'd share some news. I passed the PE in April 2012 and was recently notified by the "Boss of the bosses" that I was being rewarded with $10K at the end of the year. Talk about a big suprise! This bonus will increase my before tax yearly income by 15%!! I work for a small company and didn't think for a minute something like this would happen. There are circumstances in the company that make my PE acheivement a rare and a special accomplishment. I hope some of you folks have bosses that recognize a good thing and acknowledge accordingly. I will be moving into a lead engineering role sometime in the near future, so hopefully I will get a nice annual pay increase to go along with the bonus. Anyway, just thought I'd share that to give others hope that it can happen.

No raise for me. I will be asking for a raise and promotion come this fall when we do our yearly evaluations. Our company does give out taxable $3000 bonuses for first time licenses.

Got this in an email from my grad school:

The 12 Best Engineering and Information Technology Jobs

avgsal.png

Taken from http://www.careercas...technology-jobs

at a small firm here - got a 4.5% raise and made an associate (more vacation and bonues) - will start getting more involved on business side of things as well. Can't complain because things have been pretty inconsistent so getting anything, is good.

Cool ! - but the article isn't clear about the impact of the PE on earning power, though.Thanks for posting that!

too many excuse from my work place. I received my PE license at 2011.1.7 in CA. They first told me that I need NY license in order to do the promotion. I finally have my PE license in NY at 2012.3.1.

My boss have to send to his boss and his boss.... It is almost 4 months and my boss finally have time and send to his boss before his vocation and send the paper work. Now my boss's boss's boss didn't received the paper work....now I have to wait until he come back from vocation in the end of Aug.

This sucks!

1. My boss can do it before and there will be no problem.

2. My boss's excuse everytime is that he is busy....but I saw sometimes he is ok and relax.

3. What ever stuff he told me to do it and I will finish fast and correctly...he now done it slow and incorrect....

My company is big in NYC and the process still in paper work in 19 century.

I CAN'T CHANGE MY JOB NOW BECAUSE MY WIFE IS PREGNANT and I am paying my 2 family house ..almost all my salary went to utility bill,mortgage, car, gas, insurance, etc..

That is why I need my raise so eager....I wait almost 2 years for nothing......

Last edited by a moderator:
No raise for me but I wasn't expecting one as my PE isn't needed for my job. I did it as a personal goal. Some recognition would've been nice tho. I work in the automotive industry and have been here a year without a raise. Maybe I've been spoiled in the past working in the aerospace industry for a defense contractor. I got at least a 3% raise every year.

^ one of the many reasons I got out of automotive. If business and profits were good, raises came annually at about 3%. When work was slow for a period of time, we actually took wage cuts and lost benefits. So I got out of that and went into nuclear (i.e. business is always good). With my current employer we have been getting annual merit raises of 3-5% (except 2008 with the economy). Last year though I went to my boss with a list of my increased responsibilities (and PE) and put in for a 10% raise. Plus my research also led me to find out I was underpaid in the industry as a whole. The raise was granted to me, thankfully.

Nice. Yeah I don't plan on staying in automotive. Came here to get into the stress field. I'm obligated for 2 years (so I don't have to pay back the relocation money) but after that I'm out. One more year to go. I'll have to look into what salary I can expect with my experience, MS and PE. I'm told even if the PE isn't required for a job it can still open doors and set you apart from the competition.

I passed in December 2011 but it took until now to get a promotion. I had to wait until there was an opening.at my office and go through an interview process. No easy promotion but its a 20% raise and 3 yearly promotions from there.

The PE certification is worth it! I was waiting so long I was beginning to wonder but then again its not like I got the PE overnight either...

Had a converstation with my boss this past weekend. He says I should be expecting somethign here shorty. However percentage was not discussed and i wanted to wait to see what it might be. He has always been fair, so I have no reason to think he won't be. Will keep all posted. Also got promoted from Project Coordinator to Project Engineer. Got an office.

Back