Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiousity those that received a raise from passing the PE, did your salary get bumped up to at least 60k? Mine didn't unfortunately, but at the same time we don't have alot of work going on right now but it's slowly turning around so I do feel lucky I did receive something for passing the PE though. Plus side from my job is my health benefits and other miscellaneous benefits are top notch.

The other question is what should a brand new PE be actually making in terms of salary? I always thought it should be at least 65k.
I know disciplines and geography change things a bit, but I live in the south where cost of living is very low and I haven't gotten my PE yet. After cost of living raises this winter, I'll be just over 80k not counting my per diem. If you have your PE and don't make $60k, I'd dust off my resume. Quick like.

Out of curiousity those that received a raise from passing the PE, did your salary get bumped up to at least 60k? Mine didn't unfortunately, but at the same time we don't have alot of work going on right now but it's slowly turning around so I do feel lucky I did receive something for passing the PE though. Plus side from my job is my health benefits and other miscellaneous benefits are top notch.

The other question is what should a brand new PE be actually making in terms of salary? I always thought it should be at least 65k.
I know disciplines and geography change things a bit, but I live in the south where cost of living is very low and I haven't gotten my PE yet. After cost of living raises this winter, I'll be just over 80k not counting my per diem. If you have your PE and don't make $60k, I'd dust off my resume. Quick like.
danderson, how much experience do you have in the industry? I'm curious cause I live in NY (long island), where the cost of living is astronomical and have been contemplating moving down south in the future. I have only 4 years experience and get paid just under $73k. Trying to get a feel for the kind of salary I'd make if/when I move.

Got a 10% promptly after passing the PE, and as I work for the state government in DOT, I got some pay adjustments and will get a 3% bonus in December, thanks to the Governor.

I have worked for the fed gov't for 7 years. Got my PE and will see no extra money and no increased chance of promotion. Sovereign Immunity really makes having a PE usless in a classic sense. But I feel like I could go private and compete a little easier. More options and upward potential.

I have worked for the fed gov't for 7 years. Got my PE and will see no extra money and no increased chance of promotion. Sovereign Immunity really makes having a PE usless in a classic sense. But I feel like I could go private and compete a little easier. More options and upward potential.
We do a lot of work for the DOD and we still need PEs. The only thing Sovereign Immunity has done for us is that it doesn't matter which state you have your PE from when working on a base.

I work for a small firm, and on passing I immediately got a $1 bump on my hourly rate, which works out to a little over 2k p.a. Annual review is in May so I hope to see another :mf_bounce8: then.

i work in a 4 person environmental consulting firm. Just got a 7% raise during my annual review, and will get another 3% once i get my PE. I've passed the 8 hour, just waiting on the results for the 2 CA state exams they make civils take.

My new job is essentially a 6% raise and a promotion from my previous one, and the specific field in which I work does not get significant value from me having a PE (think process modeling and economics, PhD/MBA combo means more). So it was a personal goal for me as well, and one that I am proud of.

We do a lot of work for the DOD and we still need PEs. The only thing Sovereign Immunity has done for us is that it doesn't matter which state you have your PE from when working on a base.
True if you are doing work FOR the gov't, i.e. a contractor providing design and/or construction services for a fed gov't entity. However, I am a federally employed engineer, active duty military...PE won't even appear in my record, unless things change. Also, any work we do has been covered by Sovereign Immunity. However I just read an article where that may no longer apply based on some recent events. Thus having a PE may become more valuable.

I would just settle for full time work with benefts right now. Currently I am only working 3 days a week. I think pay raises ultimately depend on the your general location and how good your company is at getting contracts. I worked for a company last year, their idea of PE money is around 52k. They have EITs that have been with the company for 8 years that make 39k, this is rural Vermont. Starting salary where I used to work in NC for an EIT was around 40k coming out of college (2006). Just shows you the vast difference in pay scales varying from location to location.

Yes, 52k as a civil engineer, no geotech or structural. HIstorically those two areas get paid more than a typical civil concentrated. Factor in that fact that these jobs are in Vermont and New Hampshire (not very populated compared to NC or FL) and you can start to see why the salaries are so low. When I was moving back from NC I had an interview with a company located in Burlington, VT (which is the biggest city in the area). They offered me roughly 30k!, there are lowball offers and then there are cheapskates. 30k would barely cover rent, car payment, and utilities.

I passed my PE exam, but get laid off. The company doesn't have much work any more. I am new to the industry, the first have to leave the office.

Yes, 52k as a civil engineer, no geotech or structural. HIstorically those two areas get paid more than a typical civil concentrated. Factor in that fact that these jobs are in Vermont and New Hampshire (not very populated compared to NC or FL) and you can start to see why the salaries are so low. When I was moving back from NC I had an interview with a company located in Burlington, VT (which is the biggest city in the area). They offered me roughly 30k!, there are lowball offers and then there are cheapskates. 30k would barely cover rent, car payment, and utilities.
30k is an insult. I could get more as a construction inspector being directed by civil engineers.

there are plenty of good, high-paying jobs out there. i currently work in a support group for a huge chemical manufacturer (waste management division), and our group could have salaries over 100k. i would have to guess the best salaries are those outside of typical construction markets, as those jobs will be slow to come back until development is back and stable.

52K????? mcdonalds managers make more than that. just passed my test and have offers double that in NC and FL. yiiiiiiiiikes.
Do you live in either of those areas now? If not, what outlets are you using to set up/look for job openings and interviews?

Back