Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working for the state of CA, it'll be at least 5%. So about $320 a month right now. But my max salary range goes up by quite a bit. I can't remember exactly but I think it's $14k a year

i quickly scanned through the comments and every day i get more and more frustrated with this business. I graduated 1989, made small increases, passed FE and got my PE in 2009 right after the economy tanked. took a 15% pay cut and in my area ALOT of engineers are out of work. got laid off 2010, and found a new position relatively quickly, but they werent willing to pay more than what i was making beofre i was laid off.

I AM SO TIRED of hearing "you're lucky to have a job".

WHERE is the repsect and comensation that was supposed to come with a PE license? . . i look at what teachers are making in my area and it makes me SICK that i didnt ignore my guidance councelors and get my teaching certificate.

then i look at things from my compnay owners view point . . . why pay me anymore when theres 10 other guys who would be happy just to HAVE a job!

i feel cheated. i am good at what i go, clients love me, co-workers love me . . . sure i got blue arms SO WHAT . . that doesnt make me a bad person! (sorry . . . for those of you who dont get it . . . its a quote from a song . . .just had to do it!)

i digress . . . .

it just stinks.

Go somewhere you can get more?

Negotiate better?

Start your own company?

Become a teacher?

Go somewhere you can get more?

not really an option at this point in my life

Negotiate better?

here's how it goes . . "we really don't give raises . . ."

Start your own company?

in THIS economy?? . . . . sounds crazy, but the idea HAS been discussed!

Become a teacher?

not an option at this point in my life.
My point is this . . we Engineers ARE highly educated, tested to DEATH, jumped though ALL kinds of hoops to get where we are, but right now we are being shat upon due to the economy . . . i remember 5-6 yrs ago they were paying anyone with a pulse very good money.

Why arent we ALL sticking together and collectively refusing to accept any position that does not pay what we are worth?

my situation . . . if i walked out there are a dozen guys who would take my place in a heartbeat, and some probably at a lower pay!! Therein lie the root of the problem.

i am a Land Development/Civil engineer btw . . . and things in general STINK.

Go somewhere you can get more? not really an option at this point in my life Negotiate better? here's how it goes . . "we really don't give raises . . ." Start your own company? in THIS economy?? . . . . sounds crazy, but the idea HAS been discussed! Become a teacher? not an option at this point in my life.
My point is this . . we Engineers ARE highly educated, tested to DEATH, jumped though ALL kinds of hoops to get where we are, but right now we are being shat upon due to the economy . . . i remember 5-6 yrs ago they were paying anyone with a pulse very good money. Why arent we ALL sticking together and collectively refusing to accept any position that does not pay what we are worth? my situation . . . if i walked out there are a dozen guys who would take my place in a heartbeat, and some probably at a lower pay!! Therein lie the root of the problem. i am a Land Development/Civil engineer btw . . . and things in general STINK.
It really comes down to "Supply & Demand".

Supply & Demand is true whether you are dealing with jobs, stocks, or oranges.

If the supply is low and the demand is high ---> High Prices/High Salaries

If the supply is high and the demand is low ---> Low Prices/Low Salaries

Unfortunately, you appear to be in the latter of the two scenerios.

Hang in there...The pendulum will swing back in your favor!

Last edited by a moderator:
i quickly scanned through the comments and every day i get more and more frustrated with this business. I graduated 1989, made small increases, passed FE and got my PE in 2009 right after the economy tanked. took a 15% pay cut and in my area ALOT of engineers are out of work. got laid off 2010, and found a new position relatively quickly, but they werent willing to pay more than what i was making beofre i was laid off.

I AM SO TIRED of hearing "you're lucky to have a job".

WHERE is the repsect and comensation that was supposed to come with a PE license? . . i look at what teachers are making in my area and it makes me SICK that i didnt ignore my guidance councelors and get my teaching certificate.

then i look at things from my compnay owners view point . . . why pay me anymore when theres 10 other guys who would be happy just to HAVE a job!

i feel cheated. i am good at what i go, clients love me, co-workers love me . . . sure i got blue arms SO WHAT . . that doesnt make me a bad person! (sorry . . . for those of you who dont get it . . . its a quote from a song . . .just had to do it!)

i digress . . . .

it just stinks.
I really feel for you, ROBIMEIT. I am also in Land Development and agree, - it STINKS!!! There are so many people looking for job, that the ones who do have it are ready to settle for much less then they worth....

And, btw, before I passed my PE I was told that my salary would be frozen till I pass it. After I passed in April, 2011, I was promissed a nice raise by the end of the year. Guess what?! Because economy is in such shape... bla-bla-bla... no raises this year! and be happy you still have a job...

Had a pre-negotiated raise before I took the test - $10k and a $5k bonus. After passing they not only honored it, but bumped the bonus to $7500! Apparently they are afraid I could leave - not as long as they treat me like this!
Gordapeak, what industry are you in that they are so interested in the mechanical PE? Most ME's I've talked to seem to have it as a nice resume booster but have never had a job that really required/valued it.

Had a pre-negotiated raise before I took the test - $10k and a $5k bonus. After passing they not only honored it, but bumped the bonus to $7500! Apparently they are afraid I could leave - not as long as they treat me like this!
Gordapeak, what industry are you in that they are so interested in the mechanical PE? Most ME's I've talked to seem to have it as a nice resume booster but have never had a job that really required/valued it.
Fire protection. In the MD/DC area there are not a lot of FPE's, and I also hold a NICET level IV and a CFPS cert, so doing federal work they love me. Until now we had to farm out all FPE work, and the ones around here charge a fortune, so this was a win/win deal.

For what it's worth, I got a 3 1/2% raise, this was in addition to another 3 1/2 % that I had just gotten as part of an annual review two weeks before I got my results.

Update: My company followed through on their promise. I had a follow up meeting after my performance review and I recieved a two level promotion and a 30% raise from my previous base pay. Since my previous compensation was hourly I was able to get straight time OT, so considering the amount of overtime I worked this past year, the switch from hourly to salary was actually a 13% increase. They said that since I had already been performing at the level of my promotion that I shouldn't see too much of a difference in responsibility.

Other food for thought: I never had a raise before this. Since the economy was so bad in the past few years, I actually had times where I was working reduced hours. So if I average my hourly wages (not including bonuses) for my previous 3 years and compare it to my new salary it is approximately a 27% increase.

Please know that my 30% increase was negotiated. They gave me an initial offer and I countered. They accepted the counter virtually without hesitation (they waited one day) so I fear I left money on the table. Oh well...still I am very pleased. Plus they handed out two bonuses last year so if all goes well I should be able to look forward to that too.

My advice: Work hard, stay focused and take on as many new responsibilities as you can handle. When it comes time for your review thats when to really start letting them know where you stand. Do not be the guy in the monthly all-company meetings asking when we're all getting our reviews. Unless your indispensible. But you'll still look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the private sector working at a manufacturing facility. I just recieved my license as a professional civil engineer and my performance review is in a couple weeks. My largest raise has been 7% in the three years that I have worked here. I expect to see 12% this year, the lowest I will take is 10% or I will look for a new job.

i was to get 1.33% prior to getting pe, and it was adjusted to 4% after getting pe. i've been with this firm about 7 months, but in offer letter it was mentioned that salary may be adjusted. i think im being f'ed over

The economy for engineering must be really doing good to look for a job? No raises for PE in our company, work or find something else

I wasn't expecting anything, but my manager just informed me he put me in for a 4.9% raise based on obtaining my PE. Hopefully the company owners approve it.

I think i am being compensated adequately.

Got a promotion to new position that comes with 15% pay increase... I had been working my ass off and making good inroads... the PE was the lynch pin to getting to the next level though.

Back