Passed, Pay Raise?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a 5% automatic raise for getting my PE, plus reimbursement for application and exam fees. I was also told to expect another raise (no amount mentioned) around March/April when the annual performance review raises are made.

I am in the private sector working at a manufacturing facility. I just recieved my license as a professional civil engineer and my performance review is in a couple weeks. My largest raise has been 7% in the three years that I have worked here. I expect to see 12% this year, the lowest I will take is 10% or I will look for a new job.
Just had my review and they sunk their claws in deep! I got kicked up 29%.

Passed PE last October. Got excellent/top rating on annual performance. Also already due for a promotion. Also completed my masters last December.

However no raises yet. How much should I expect? I work for an established world renowned engineering consulting company. Our bussiness line does EPC power delivery projects.

How long does it take usually to show the increased salary in the pay stub after you talk with your boss? when will be the right time to follow up if you don't see the salary change?

How long does it take usually to show the increased salary in the pay stub after you talk with your boss? when will be the right time to follow up if you don't see the salary change?
Sounds like a question for your boss, or at least to HR. Anytime I've received any type of pay adjustment, the person responsible for it has informed me of when it will take effect. Typically it's kicked in within a payperiod or two, but my wife got a promotion that doesn't kick into effect until March (she got promoted a month ago). Depending on company policy, they may wait for some type of "milestone" like beginning of the year, beginning of quarter, after your current project is completed, etc.

Sounds like a question for your boss, or at least to HR. Anytime I've received any type of pay adjustment, the person responsible for it has informed me of when it will take effect. Typically it's kicked in within a payperiod or two, but my wife got a promotion that doesn't kick into effect until March (she got promoted a month ago). Depending on company policy, they may wait for some type of "milestone" like beginning of the year, beginning of quarter, after your current project is completed, etc.
Thanks. My boss said he will work on that for me. So I still don't know whether I will get promoted and how much the salary increase. I just wonder how long should I wait to follow up if he doesn't come to me?

If it's only at the conversational level, give it a week or two before bringing it up again. You want to give the guy a chance to get something done, plus you don't come across as pesky or greedy. He may be trying to "work a deal" with HR, and those can take some time if specific policies aren't in place (especially if your company is under a pay/hiring freeze). When I passed the PE (april 2008) I got my license in June, but my raise didn't come into effect until September. My boss at the time said they were in the process of working through some HR changes and administrative "red tape" as this was as the economy really started to tank.

I get to keep my job. I had a deadline of August 2012 to pass or I would be out.

Nothing like having a gun to your head to motivate you.

Thank God I passed it the first time.

I found out I passed in mid-december and submitted proof to HR on 12/17. Our company policy is a $200$ increase per month ($2400 per year) bump in salary. Mine has been approved, but I'm still waiting for it to show up in my payckeck.

No raise yet, but 10% was discussed. Since that discussion things have changed around the company and I will be the sole engineer reviewing, signing and sealing all drawings we produce, which was not previosuly the case. Does this entitle me to a greater percentage? My thoughts are as follows. I was planning on accepting the 10% and at my next reviewing proving the additonal responsibilites I have taken on through additional reviewing and stamping and asking for another bump (not as big as 10%). Since this is being forced on me now I think i deserve acknowledgement. Thoughts?

Last year I got a 3% raise for passing. I asked for more, they said no. I went to another company and got a 20% raise.

I waited for nearly nine months after passing PE and no raise, so I decided to ask for one.  A week after I asked and they just gave me a 13% raise to $32.00/hr

Back