Osama dead

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." — Martin Luther King, Jr.
Well said!

My stomach turns at the thought of celebrating (rejoicing is probably a better word) the result of any violence. I've been quiet on the subject so far because I haven't come up with the right words. I understand better than most that military actions are usually violent and serve a greater purpose than just the localized action. I'm proud of the Navy and CIA (and all the many others that surely played a role in the operation) and I'm glad OBL is dead. But this shouldn't be a party and to celebrate seems a stain on the memory of those that died in the original act that started us down this road and those that died since then carrying out the military and intelligence missions.

We really do need to consider two things: how this makes us *like* those we're defending against and how this makes us *look* to those we're defending against.

Why'd they bury him at sea???? And why so fast????? No one in the hard-core Muslim world is going to believe he's dead now.
Who wants to place money on when the next "audio tape from Bin Laden" will appear on Al-Jazera, proclaiming himself to be alive and well?
There's been lots written on this, but to summarize:

Buried at sea so his grave site won't be a rallying point for others

Done fast because of Muslim requirements

Collected DNA evidence and compared to his sister

Collected pictures and video which might never be released

Why'd they bury him at sea????
I think you are missing a great marketing opportunity .....

"Who lives in a pineapple under the sea ...."

SpongeBob-SquarePants-ps01.jpg

I can't bring myself to say it ...

JR

You know, yesterday watching the news, I finally felt a peace, that the 9/11 victims have been avenged, and that the world is a much better place than it was Sunday morning.

Saw the Sponge Bob reference on The Daily Show last night. They had a new spoof sign/banner up for OBL about every 15 seconds, it was awesome.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." — Martin Luther King, Jr.
I saw this morning that this wasn't said by MLK Jr.

As for the celebrating, rejoicing, or whatever you want to call it, I didn't participate in it and don't know anyone that did, but I can see why it took place. I don't think it's people celebrating his death (at least not everyone), but instead celebrating what they consider closure for what happened on 9/11. I think you would have seen similar celebrations if he had been captured alive as well and I don't think there would have been any complaining about that.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens to US-Paki relations now. personally, I think we ought to stop all aid to that country immediately and start an investigation of who knew what, and when.

definitely an embarassing situation for the pakistani people. Right there within spittin distance of the academy. hiding in plain sight works again.

future boy didn't foresee this...j/k. 24 hr burial traditions mandated burial at sea, apparently no one wanted him...but who knows. at least they can't use his grave as a monument/memorial for crazzies now
WHy not just build him a tomb out of radioactive waste? Then all of the crazzies would have gone to visit?
I like it!

definitely an embarassing situation for the pakistani people. Right there within spittin distance of the academy. hiding in plain sight works again.

Also - was anyone surprised that it took them 40 mins to respond to someone attacking them? From the accounts I have read, they didn't start scrambling a response team until we were on our way out.

I hope that it would take the US 40 mins to someone flying hundreds inside our border.

In my imagination, I expect this was a super hi-tech black-op assault by the equivalent of 40 Batmans. I'll bet they were in and out, silent and deadly, before anybody locally could even guess what was happening. Not sure how the crashed helicopter fits into that vision yet, but I'm just thinking they were probably stealthy, quick, and obviously lethal.

Except that one of the neighbors was Tweeting the entire thing as it happened and mentioned the helicoptors, gun fire, etc...

I thought the celebration was too much. A sigh of relief, a moment of reflection of all the pain and suffering at the hands of osama ok, but celebration goes to far IMO.
I'll throw out another reference, since I recently read the book...

Two minute hate.

Wonder how history's going to really record how this went down... And how "history" will be rewritten...

I saw this morning that this wasn't said by MLK Jr.
I saw that as well today. As Abraham Lincoln once said:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that many are not genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by a moderator:
I sort of picture UBL waking up, with some Dr. Dentons or long-johns on and a stocking cap, dark shades and earplugs, wiping the sleep out of his eyes and yelling - "Can you keep it down out there, I've got jihad really early in the morning!"

Latest posts

Back