Osama dead

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read that the helicopter that they flew in to Osama's compound stalled...so they blew it up and called in a back up to fly them out.

I just thought about something... why did Obama not want Osama to go through a civilian trial or even military tribunal like the others?

You just thought of that...j/k. I haven't said anything, but that is the first thing I thought of when I heard he was killed this morning on my way to work.

I just thought about something... why did Obama not want Osama to go through a civilian trial or even military tribunal like the others?
I don't really care if there was an ulterior motive there. I don't want billions more dollars spent on housing, torturing, and trying bin Laden. Shooting him in the face is far cheaper.

I don't really care if there was an ulterior motive there. I don't want billions more dollars spent on housing, torturing, and trying bin Laden. Shooting him in the face is far cheaper.
I didn't say I wanted OBL to go to trial, but with BHO being who he is, I would have thought a court proceeding would be the choice instead.

I didn't say I wanted OBL to go to trial, but with BHO being who he is, I would have thought a court proceeding would be the choice instead.
That's why a SEAL team was behind the triggers and not Obama.

I think the risk associated with a live capture and transportation... along with free publicity for the world to see.

This was a good option. If he would have raised his hands and said I surrender... maybe a live capture.

If anyone had shown any method of force - shoot the MF.

I think he's been at large too long to take any chances and I don't think the Prez (regarldess of who was in that seat) cared how he was brought to justice.

2 directives:

1. Find him

2. Stop him.

Mission accomplished. You could tell if they had been working that lead since last August that they were not going to F^&K this one up. May this bring a little peace to the one's who lost loved ones in 9-11 or in any military action trying to get this bastard. It isn't much with regard to losing a loved one, but it's a step forward.

Battle is not over, there will be 500 new guys wanting to make a name for themselves now. Hope we continue with good intelligence and can thump a few more knuckleheads.

^^

Well said. While I don't agree that with a lot of the man's policies, a big thumbs up goes out to him, his staff, and his intel. This obviously was in a works a long time ago, and several news sources say that they identified the courier four years ago (~2007, during GWB's term). Imagine how many details they must've gone through before the final plan was finally decided a short while ago and Obama gave the green light to proceed.

I agree with pretty much everything posted in the thread, in that Im proud of our armed forces, Im glad he is dead, proud to be American.

The only thing I would add is that I am dissapointed with many Americans in that they are celebrating the death of someone. I know who he was and what he was responsible for, but I dont find much comfort in celebration.

SapperPE said:
I was kind of wondering that as well, but I think there is enough evidence to show that he was in charge of various attacks specifically Sep 11, and the 1998 bombings, and that as the leader of our armed enemy, he was a military target, not a criminal suspect.

Regardless, I'm glad he is out of the picture, unfortunately, our military will likely see some very tough fighting in the near future, this kind of thing can have the effect of strengthening the enemy's resolve.
Doesn't the spring offensive usually begin about this time of year?

All of the local bases have gone to high alert. That doesn't surprise me in the least and thanks to those that made this goal achievable. Heard the news this morning on my way into work, made me happy to hear that this portion of the effort is over.

Spring offensive is about to get underway from what I hear. Should be an interesting couple of weeks with this news spreading.

Back