Ordering from the factory versus buying off the lot

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other thing to keep in mind is the timing of the purchase. Manufacturers have certain deadlines for each production year when it comes to orders (like 2011's can only be ordered until June 2011) because transition into production on the 2012's needs to start for their August/September unveiling.

Also, spring time is typically the worst time to buy off the lot because it's when the dealerships have the most customers (higher demand). If you have to have the most current vehicle, winter time is the ideal purchase time because the run is still new and the dealerships have no foot-traffic. If you want the best overall deal on a new car, wait until the end of the summer just before the release time of the next model year. Selection is typically a little lower, but the dealership wants to make space for the shipment on the newer new cars.

Edit: The monthly timing can also be a big help, as can daily and even hourly timing. The best overall timing is typically the last Friday/Saturday of the month, and be sure to start negotiations late in the day (within an hour of closing time). When you have a sales team looking to hit their quota, combined with the fact they want to go home, you can get some pretty good deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I find car shopping entertaining. I used to work at a dealership (3years full time while in college), so I know alot of the "tricks" the sales team like to try and it's fun trying to guess which one they will try next. Because I know a car purchase can take a couple hours, I make sure to bring snacks with me, leave the kiddos with the grandparents, and get dressed in comfortable clothes.

I'm not a big fan of haggling either. Thankfully, my employer is a supplier to each of the "Big 3," so I am eligible for the supplier discount at each of them. I don't know the specifics on each program, but for Ford it works out to around $200 over dealer invoice. I doubt I could do any better than that by haggling.

They still have ways to try to make money, though. Trade-ins are negotiable and they try to sell add-ons like extended warranties and insurance that pays the car payment if you lose your job. When I bought my current car the business manager actually said I was stupid for not buying any of that crap. Of course, this was affirmation that this is where they make their real money. Besides, if I'm stupid for not buying an extended warranty, then why is he selling me a junky car in the first place?

x2 on the internet approach. You can do all your haggling online without the "in your face" pressure, then go pick it up.

My last 2 vehicles have been purchase from carsdirect.com and have been very happy.

Basically it is like using the dealer inventory option, Cars Direct matches you up with a dealer and the price is already agreed upon.

It really takes a lot of the negotiation out of the final deal.

Then you just plan on a trip to the dealer to sign paper work. They still try and up sell you on extended warranty and gap insurance but that is pretty easy to turn down and plus and I find it very easy to be an ass about stuff I didn't ask for and don't want.

Friend of mine factory ordered a new Ford Explorer for his wife... several months ago. She got it last week. Apparently there was/is a rail slowdown, or something to that effect. The truck sat up north for over a month. He sold his wife's minivan when the dealer promised the truck was about to arrive. She ended up driving the dealership's demo vehicle for about 6 weeks. They were unhappy about the whole process.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article393195.ece

Be ready to wait if you factory order one!

Last edited by a moderator:
^I was on the waiting list for my motorcycle for 3.5 years back in the day. If getting EXACTLY what you want is important, patience is required.

I just buy what I can fit into and make sure a passenger can fit comfortably behind me. A to B and B to A vehicle. I don't live in my cars, I just want to be comfortable. Speed limit at most that I ever hit is 65 and that is out on the highway. As far as trucks go, I have an old van I tow a trailer around behind, keep it simple. Then again I hope to finish my damn Road Runner clone this year, so I guess I even have my wants.

We're supposed to go buy the truck today! Went into negotiate with the local dealer and got all the same old, "We're only making $75 on this truck" kind of lines. Hit the internet to do some sleuthing and found the truck at another dealer and after some e-mailing got the price we wanted. Yay!

Thanks for the help!

the internet = the equalizer

hope the deal goes smoothly.

I negotiated my best new vehicle purchase by making phone calls to dealerships before I ever went anywhere. Each time I asked for the sales manager and said, "I'm buying a new S-10. I want to pay X% off of MSRP for the base and Y% off of MSRP for any options." After phone calls to virtually every Chevrolet dealer in town, I finally found a guy who would do it. Then all I had to do was go meet with the guy and pick one out. They ended up doing a dealer trade with a dealer about 300 miles away for the truck I wanted.

Back