Ohio the Only State Screwing with PDH's?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
Got my renewal letter in the mail the other day.  In great big bold letters at the bottom is an advisory that they are only allowing a maximum of 3 hours per year for completion of correspondence courses.  When I was online doing my renewal, Ohio's website said that to get anything over 3 hours has to be something where your attendance can be verified.  On CE News or engineering.com when they do their webinars that you have to watch before you get your certificate, doesn't the fact that you've got the certificate verify that you watched it?

At the USACE it probably wouldn't have been a big deal.  When I left, you were supposed to do three training courses a year and they are usually good for credit.  That's a little different here at the VA.  Shockingly, any training here is generally medical.  Fortunately we had several days of Revit training so I am fine for this year, but it makes me wonder if someone making decisions in Ohio are getting a little too friendly with the companies who are always sending me stuff in the mail to try and get me to pay for their seminars.

I saw that too. Is a web based training considered a correspondence course?

"Make sure that before you pay for a class, conference, workshop or seminar the provider will give you documentation that verifies your attendance, a course description and the number of hours earned."

Short of attending seminars in person where someone has to see you in a seat and then physically hand you a certificate at the end of a seminar, I'm not sure how they can say anyone verified your attendance.

In another place on their website, "The online course provider must submit to you a certificate of completion or other proof of attendance."

Does that mean online stuff counts as long as you receive a certificate at the end?

Sounds like it counts.  Thats all we do around here, but Ohio is not one of our states.  Suck that would if online course count not.

I am a firm believe that PDH's exist only because some group of people that sell PDH material take the BOARD members and their lackeys out to nice dinners and trips..

My boss would agree with you 100%

Right there with you CSB.  Took a week long seminar that was dedicated for Civils (lumbar/concrete construction) so I could get the PDHs.  I'm sure the civils got a lot out of it but for the lone mechanical guy...not so much.

Well I just posted a similar question, but after reading this I might just do it all online. If I get audited, my excuse will be hardly anyone was offering in-person training because of COVID, and even if I could have go in-person I wouldn't because of COVID. Thank you, Social-Distancing.

Back