October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, Day 2 sucks already and we are only an hour or so in...Still no results here.  And knowing I'm one of the last remaining states is making this worse lol.

As one Redditor so eloquently put it yesterday, "Every time I get an E-mail, my butthole clenches and I want to throw up" - I've got to say...spot on...

For those that care about cut scores, on Reddit I’m seeing that people failed the civil structural exam with 54/80. It’s possible that the cut score was 55 correct.

As far as percentage score goes, I have no idea what voodoo magic the PE board is using to calculate these percentages. If it’s true that civil structural cutoff is 55, then I have no idea how they got 64% for my 46/80

For those that care about cut scores, on Reddit I’m seeing that people failed the civil structural exam with 54/80. It’s possible that the cut score was 55 correct.

As far as percentage score goes, I have no idea what voodoo magic the PE board is using to calculate these percentages. If it’s true that civil structural cutoff is 55, then I have no idea how they got 64% for my 46/80
If you're in Texas I know they add a curve to your overall score. Which will boost the percentage

You're doing absolutely nothing for my confidence right now lol

If you're in Texas I know they add a curve to your overall score. Which will boost the percentage
I am in fact in Texas.

Percentage didn’t make me feel any better... but a good night’s sleep did. Third time’s the charm. I’m taking an online course next time and I’ll get it next time.

Congrats to you on passing by the by! PE was not easy this year!

I am in fact in Texas.

Percentage didn’t make me feel any better... but a good night’s sleep did. Third time’s the charm. I’m taking an online course next time and I’ll get it next time.

Congrats to you on passing by the by! PE was not easy this year!
Appreciate it! You'll kill it the 3rd time around. Let me know if you need any assistance prepping the 3rd time around. EET was seriously the saving grace for me if you havent used them before. They went into complete depth on all Breadth and Depth topics, and they provide you with like 1000 page lecture binders that i used about 80% of both the morning and afternoon sections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning, first post but long time viewer. Took the PE: Structural in October of this year and awaiting results from Florida. Congrats to those who passed and hope that those who didn't will keep their heads up and try again next time, who knows, maybe we will be retrying together 😬. Just wanted to thank all of you who have posted, it give a lot of people hope and encouragement through rough times. I know it did for me.

Thank you

TX provides a percentage score for some reason and IIRC, there's some magic behind it so you can't glean a cut score from it 
Yes, Texas reports a percentage. It's not the raw percentage either, it's scaled so that a pass=70. We don't know how its produced either. It's obviously not fully linear based on cut score, because then we'd see weird results "at the tails".  I don't think we'll ever have enough information to figure it out either, something vital seems to be missing. People have been trying for years, and it isn't worth the effort.

Man, Day 2 sucks already and we are only an hour or so in...Still no results here.  And knowing I'm one of the last remaining states is making this worse lol.

As one Redditor so eloquently put it yesterday, "Every time I get an E-mail, my butthole clenches and I want to throw up" - I've got to say...spot on...
yep, that's how this part of the suck works.

Have you tried any of the backdoor methods for New Jersey? IIRC some of the old NJ state release show some potential possible ways to learn if you passed.

Not surprised to see a score in the mid-50s.

see statement above about calculating the Texas score.

yes see above

I’m checking way too often now lol, this is a rough part of the wait period 
I've got a RL friend waiting on Illinois too. I want everyone to release quickly, but I especially want Illinois to release quickly just for their sanity.

I figured out that 

it’s percentage lol

I got 91 last year. It probably is percentile but who knows. Passing is all that matters IMO. 

^this

TX provides a percentage score for some reason and IIRC, there's some magic behind it so you can't glean a cut score from it 

Heck Yeah! I'll take it!

View attachment 20129

Texas does some weird curve technique, Fine by me, it helped me out XD. Got a 73% here!
Some more info on my understanding of what Texas does (which I have gleaned from various posts on EB). Texas is required by law to provide a score, but NCEES is the org that decided on the passing "cut score".

NCEES provides the raw score information to Texas and what the passing cut score is (which is different for every test and every year). Texas sets the passing score to 70% and curves all scores around that (so again it's a different curve every year for each different test). 

People regularly try to match up the raw score from people who don't pass (which they get on their diagnostic) to the percentage score that TX provides. Then try to figure out what the cut score is. That method probably gets you pretty close, but you have to make some assumptions on how they are curving it (linear? bell curve? other?). I don't know that it's any better than tracking the highest reported failing raw score.

But the take away is that it's no easier or harder to pass in TX, the cut score is the same for everyone for each test. Texas just give you a little more information about how you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back