October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been browsing this board for nearly seven years. And this is one of the most wise, calm, and rationale things I've read on here.
To be fair, NCEES could easily program an if/else loop into their code so that test takers wouldn’t be in this situation.

if (testtaker = October2020testtaker) {
 (Testtaker cannot take January 2020 exam. Release scores); }

else {
(Do not release scores); }

That’s 2 minutes worth of programming work on someone’s lunch break. NCEES just chooses not to

What I dont fully get is why they are holding the scores for every single state if the January exam can only be taken in 14 states. 

What I dont fully get is why they are holding the scores for every single state if the January exam can only be taken in 14 states. 
Spite? /sarcasm

While the January exam is offered in those 14 states NCEES did offer the possibility that other states may permit their examinees to take the test in those 14 states.

Spite? /sarcasm

While the January exam is offered in those 14 states NCEES did offer the possibility that other states may permit their examinees to take the test in those 14 states.
Let’s be honest if the opportunity was there to take it sooner people would sign up no question. My thing is, if someone hasn’t signed up by now registration has been open for quite some time, that’s their fault not ours. I know when I registered for the October administration I registered either the morning of or the morning after registration opened. I don’t think it would really be stealing the opportunity from too many people. That’s just my two cents on it. 

Fellow October Test Takers

What are some things you do to help take your mind off the upcoming exam scores?

To be fair, NCEES could easily program an if/else loop into their code so that test takers wouldn’t be in this situation.

if (testtaker = October2020testtaker) {
 (Testtaker cannot take January 2020 exam. Release scores); }

else {
(Do not release scores); }

That’s 2 minutes worth of programming work on someone’s lunch break. NCEES just chooses not to
I'm pretty sure I've heard this post verbatim coming from contractors thinking they know what goes into whatever I'm designing for them :)

On today's FB memories from 5years ago:

From the licensing board website:

"The results from the October 2015 NCEES PS exams have been released to NCEES member licensing boards. PE and SE results will be released as soon as they are finalized."

Any day now, I should know if I'm a PE or not... o.o

Sunday's FB memory will tell me that 1year ago I passed the PE 

My point, yeah, the waiting sucks but it could be worse. Could have to do the wait 7 times like I did. 

Prior to COVID applicants were generally required to take the exam in the jurisdiction to which they were applying for license. It was more paperwork to take it elsewhere. Because of COVID, the exam is now a "national exam" which may be taken in any jurisdiction in the country. I don't know why this wasn't the case before, but it is now. The net effect is that exam site locations are no longer a factor for either P&P or CBT exams.

I plan on doing a 50 state release map for the January exam.

FWIW, we don't actually *know* that the January registration is what's delaying the Oct release. It's just an educated guess. There could be plenty of other reasons for a delay that we're not in a position to know (or even guess) about.

What are some things you do to help take your mind off the upcoming exam scores?
Buy a house, realize your current house is nowhere near show-worthy, manically clean, paint, put up trim, fill a storage unit, eat fast food and coffee for 2 weeks straight and rent a cabin to pass out for a weekend while people tour your frosted turd of a house. That worked for me.

Let’s be honest if the opportunity was there to take it sooner people would sign up no question. My thing is, if someone hasn’t signed up by now registration has been open for quite some time, that’s their fault not ours. I know when I registered for the October administration I registered either the morning of or the morning after registration opened. I don’t think it would really be stealing the opportunity from too many people. That’s just my two cents on it. 
I waited till pretty close to the end of registration period to register. There was too much unknown still happening to warrant an early registration, I can imagine there are some people who are doing the same currently.

I work. No, really.  I mean, I also have kids.  They keep me... crazy.

On today's FB memories from 5years ago:

Sunday's FB memory will tell me that 1year ago I passed the PE 

My point, yeah, the waiting sucks but it could be worse. Could have to do the wait 7 times like I did. 
Whoooo!  But you aren't waiting THIS sucktastic year!

Back