October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, this is why I put the "70%" in quotation marks. The raw cut score may be anywhere from about 51 to 58, roughly speaking, which gives you a range of roughly 64 to 73 percent. If the cut score established by NCEES is anywhere other than 56/80 = 70%, Texas will set that cut score equal to a scaled score of "70%". No one really knows what other black magic goes into the Texas scaled scores beyond that, but it's probably neither linear nor particularly straightforward. 

So, anyone who has passed the PE Exam, by default, has a Texas scaled score of "70%" or higher.
So what you're saying is ... nationally PEs are smarter than Texas PEs? ... because Texas has curved the score for their less smart engineers?

Cool; I'm here for Texas bashing. hahahaha 😛

Last edited by a moderator:
No, this is why I put the "70%" in quotation marks. The raw cut score may be anywhere from about 51 to 58, roughly speaking, which gives you a range of roughly 64 to 73 percent. If the cut score established by NCEES is anywhere other than 56/80 = 70%, Texas will set that cut score equal to a scaled score of "70%". No one really knows what other black magic goes into the Texas scaled scores beyond that, but it's probably neither linear nor particularly straightforward. 

So, anyone who has passed the PE Exam, by default, has a Texas scaled score of "70%" or higher.
Ah, and so continues the mysterious cut score.

Seems more likely than not that you'll have them before vacation, but i make no guarantees.
You seem to believe that it will be really late this year in comparison to the last 8 years or so with the exception of Oct '14. It seems like it should be closer to Dec. 2 - Dec. 6 based on the previous releases. I know you have stated that they Controls exam needs a cut score meeting, but there have to have been other exams with cut score meeting in that time frame, I would think.

926638658_PERelease-min.thumb.png.75ddc7f3a913a8f636bb73ec59f9ec18.png

You seem to believe that it will be really late this year in comparison to the last 8 years or so with the exception of Oct '14. It seems like it should be closer to Dec. 2 - Dec. 6 based on the previous releases. I know you have stated that they Controls exam needs a cut score meeting, but there have to have been other exams with cut score meeting in that time frame, I would think.

926638658_PERelease-min.thumb.png.75ddc7f3a913a8f636bb73ec59f9ec18.png
Yeah, October of '15 and October of '16 have similar release dates to what @RBHeadge PE is anticipating, though somewhat shorter durations, because the exam was administered at a later date in October, both times. The thing that really hoses us for this cycle is that the exam took place on October 25th, which made November 1st a Friday, which pushes the Thanksgiving holiday right up to the end of the month. The last time the exam was given on that date was in October of '13. However, that cycle didn't have any new specifications, so results came the first week of December, as usual, because there were no cut score meetings to schedule. 

The last time circumstances were similar to this administration, with the exam taking place relatively early in October and Thanksgiving being pushed to the last week in November was... you guessed it... October of '14. Now, that release was a crapstorm for other reasons, but part of what made it late was the timing that's very similar to this year's administration.

*Duplicate Post*

Not trying to be obnoxious.  It just comes naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, October of '15 and October of '16 have similar release dates to what @RBHeadge PE is anticipating, though somewhat shorter durations, because the exam was administered at a later date in October, both times. The thing that really hoses us for this cycle is that the exam took place on October 25th, which made November 1st a Friday, which pushes the Thanksgiving holiday right up to the end of the month. The last time the exam was given on that date was in October of '13. However, that cycle didn't have any new specifications, so results came the first week of December, as usual, because there were no cut score meetings to schedule. 

The last time circumstances were similar to this administration, with the exam taking place relatively early in October and Thanksgiving being pushed to the last week in November was... you guessed it... October of '14. Now, that release was a crapstorm for other reasons, but part of what made it late was the timing that's very similar to this year's administration.
Thanks for the info! Given that we should not (crossing fingers) see those other issues, maybe the release will be closer to 45 days putting it closer to December 11th instead of the 2nd - 6th. 

Thanks for the info! Given that we should not (crossing fingers) see those other issues, maybe the release will be closer to 45 days putting it closer to December 11th instead of the 2nd - 6th. 
That's about what I'm thinking. 😁

Guys, just remember... The worst wait is when your state doesn't release on the first day. Hopefully that won't happen to any of you!

FUTILE EXCERCISE B

RESULTS WILL COME OUT BEFORE DEC 9TH... SEE BELOW... HAHA!

Capture.PNG

In addition to the calendar, October '14 was made even worse because that Petroleum Engineering had to have a cut score meeting that year. For whatever reason, the once/year exams have their cut score meetings later in the post-exam period than the twice/year exams. The Petroleum cut score meeting was Dec 8-9, one of the latest in the MC era, so things were really delayed for everyone.

To note: I have no idea when the control systems meeting will be held. I'm waiting for the December newsletter just like everyone else. I can only guess and that's not worth much.

Guys, just remember... The worst wait is when your state doesn't release on the first day. 
^So much this^

Just remember, even if the results come out during the [xth] week of December, it doesn't mean that all 55 states and territories will get it that same week.

Back