October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, thanks for reminding me. 

In July and August, you can almost set your watch by the afternoon thunderstorms.
Yeah, on LI, afternoon thunderstorms only happen once in a blue moon.  There are a lot of late night thunderstorms.  You can tell because you'll have a stretch of 2-3 days where it'll be over 85F, but with 85%+ humidity, and it's like walking in soup.  Just as everyone starts questioning if they should sacrifice someone to the ocean, you'll start hearing angry rumbles of thunder and then CRAZY lighting at around 2-3am.  Ends after around 4 hours.

Does...does The Real Maine have Steven King lurking around with a notebook writing stores and cackling to himself?
*Stephen 

And I'm not 100% they live in their Bangor house full time. I know that former Gov. Lepage quipped at King that he wasn't paying Maine taxes since he lived in FL (some, all of the time?) but King retorted that they paid taxes due to their Bangor residence. 

I don't actually read King. I like the genre, I don't like his writing. I've only finished 1 of his books and I've started 4

Something tells me you’ve said this before.
Born and raised on a hearty crop of dad-puns, I continue the tradition though I am neither a dad nor middle-aged.

@Will.I.Am, yeah, I could never live in Houston.  We got that sweet sea breeze/huge amounts of nearby water surrounding us, so that does cut down the heat a bit.

@LyceeFruit I think I've read one book of King's and I was like...I get why people would like him?  But it's just not for me?  And I want a King vs. Gov. showdown.

*Stephen 

And I'm not 100% they live in their Bangor house full time. I know that former Gov. Lepage quipped at King that he wasn't paying Maine taxes since he lived in FL (some, all of the time?) but King retorted that they paid taxes due to their Bangor residence. 

I don't actually read King. I like the genre, I don't like his writing. I've only finished 1 of his books and I've started 4
Maybe try The Eyes of the Dragon? He wrote that one when his daughter was a young teenager, so that she could read one of this books. It's definitely written differently, and remains one of my favorite books to this day.

Edit: Woo, tops!

Last edited by a moderator:
Born and raised on a hearty crop of dad-puns, I continue the tradition though I am neither a dad nor middle-aged.

@Will.I.Am, yeah, I could never live in Houston.  We got that sweet sea breeze/huge amounts of nearby water surrounding us, so that does cut down the heat a bit.

@LyceeFruit I think I've read one book of King's and I was like...I get why people would like him?  But it's just not for me?  And I want a King vs. Gov. showdown.
Lepage was a piece of work - Google (probably not on your work computer) to see his lunacy. 

In general, I don't like Lepage but he did do some limited good. He'd fight for the elderly who were in danger of losing their homes to the banks or towns. But I think that's about it.

King's writing style reminds me of Tolkein and the GOT guy. Overly detailed for no reason. My AP Lit teacher in HS hated King and didn't consider him as a "real" author. She would throw tissue boxes so probably not wise to listen to her too much. 

Maybe try The Eyes of the Dragon? He wrote that one when his daughter was a young teenager, so that she could read one of this books. It's definitely written differently, and remains one of my favorite books to this day.

Edit: Woo, tops!
Maybe, I've finished Carrie (his first published book). Gave up on Kujo, Dark Towers, Green Mile, and I think one more. 

Yeah, on LI, afternoon thunderstorms only happen once in a blue moon.  There are a lot of late night thunderstorms.  You can tell because you'll have a stretch of 2-3 days where it'll be over 85F, but with 85%+ humidity, and it's like walking in soup.  Just as everyone starts questioning if they should sacrifice someone to the ocean, you'll start hearing angry rumbles of thunder and then CRAZY lighting at around 2-3am.  Ends after around 4 hours.
Same for DC/MD/Philly/Jersey except we get the late afternoon/early evening thunderstorms. Must be a case that they take until the night to get to you on LI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back