October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight inches of snow in Idaho can be removed from a driveway with a broom. Clearing eight inches of snow from a driveway in the the northeast corridor needs a shovel and often leads to  injury.
Eight inches of Northeast snow has the same moisture content as about 2 feet of snow in the intermountain west... So yeah, that sounds about right.

Of course.  All NE snow is heavy snow, which is why the 3-4" this morning confused me.  I...swept it off my car?  And I wasn't sweating heavily after I cleared off my car?
I've been able to use a broom on the snow in Maine  a few times in the last 5 years but I'm like a mile inland  and it's maybe once a season.

I want snow. We got some ice. And there's a bunch of brick sidewalks so it's very slick. Brick sidewalks, while quaint, are the dumbest thing in the northeast. 

Denver (and pretty much Colorado in general) is the poster child for aridity. This is, naturally, due to its high elevation. The lowest point in Colorado is like 3300 ft above sea level. Even in the summer, humidity values are typically between 25 and 50 percent. If the humidity gets above 60 percent, it pretty much means that it's going to rain soon, because the air just can't hold that much water for very long.

In the winter, the snow is almost always dry and airy. Like we got 3-4 inches of snow here, overnight, that probably would have been 8-10 inches in Denver. I've realized that they salt the roads the way they do here because the snow turns to an oil slick here as soon as it starts to stick to the pavement. This is compared to Denver, where you can just generally plow the roads off, because it's not *that* slick.
Let me introduce you to yesterday morning's weather, here in fancee Denver...

I've been able to use a broom on the snow in Maine  a few times in the last 5 years but I'm like a mile inland  and it's maybe once a season.

I want snow. We got some ice. And there's a bunch of brick sidewalks so it's very slick. Brick sidewalks, while quaint, are the dumbest thing in the northeast. 
Yeah.  You need to get one of those neighborhoods where there are no sidewalks.  Can't slip on the sidewalk if you're driving everywhere.

Eight inches of snow in Idaho can be removed from a driveway with a broom. Clearing eight inches of snow from a driveway in the the northeast corridor needs a shovel and often leads to  injury.
or death tbh
Yeah, I was politely paraphrasing something that people in Idaho would often tell me. They called east coast snow, "heat attack snow".

Yeah.  You need to get one of those neighborhoods where there are no sidewalks.  Can't slip on the sidewalk if you're driving everywhere.
So that's actually most of Maine - except the "cities" and most downtown areas as well have sidewalks. It's just some of the towns/cities use brick. Which is stupid.

Like I'm happy the masons have work but the brick seem to have more issues with frost heaves plus the snow & ice plus rain & leaves. And it's on the property owners in Portland to take care of the sidewalk in the winter - the city only maintains about 100mi of the sidewalk in the winter (&they don't do a great job either). It makes the only barely wheelchair accessible sidewalks completely inaccessible in the winter. How the city hasn't been sued for ADA violation is beyond me

Denver (and pretty much Colorado in general) is the poster child for aridity. This is, naturally, due to its high elevation. The lowest point in Colorado is like 3300 ft above sea level. Even in the summer, humidity values are typically between 25 and 50 percent. If the humidity gets above 60 percent, it pretty much means that it's going to rain soon, because the air just can't hold that much water for very long.
You forgot to add that it WILL thunderstorm every day after 2PM in the mountains in the summer.

The tourists trying to climb 14ers always neglect to factor that their schedule.

Are you in southern Maine or The Real Maine?
Ouch. I'm in southern Maine. Because there's not many power engineering jobs in The Real Maine

But it's so traditional! 🙄
Along with the cobblestone streets that are still around. Some got paved over so then you hit a 3in deep pothole with cobblestones at the bottom. 

You forgot to add that it WILL thunderstorm every day after 2PM in the mountains in the summer.

The tourists trying to climb 14ers always neglect to factor that their schedule.
Yes, thanks for reminding me. 

In July and August, you can almost set your watch by the afternoon thunderstorms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back