October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frist day back in the office after a 4 day weekend

Nicolas-Cage-Is-Ready-To-Ride-Reaction-Gif.gif

Well we didn't end up getting any snow. Just some cold rain.

Boyfriend has to go to Boston for work tomorrow. He won't go to ikea or Mike's pastry for me =[ (more upset about mike's pastry, ikea was a joke)

We got "snow" here in Indianpolis from last night.  The snow is really powdery here, which is different from the heavy/wet slush I've grown up with.  Ice is a bigger thing here, but that might have just been because a polar vortex wandered through and dropped temps to 14F.  But it's 14F with a lower humidity and no real wind, so it's very easy to live with.

We got "snow" here in Indianpolis from last night.  The snow is really powdery here, which is different from the heavy/wet slush I've grown up with.  Ice is a bigger thing here, but that might have just been because a polar vortex wandered through and dropped temps to 14F.  But it's 14F with a lower humidity and no real wind, so it's very easy to live with.
Based on your posts and or current locations, I've come to the conclusion that Long Island and Denver are pretty much polar opposites in terms of climatic moisture content. I mean, it stands to reason, but but I had never really considered it, before. It's also probable that Northeast Ohio is a little bit wet than Central Indiana, but I wouldn't think it would be by much.

Based on your posts and or current locations, I've come to the conclusion that Long Island and Denver are pretty much polar opposites in terms of climatic moisture content. I mean, it stands to reason, but but I had never really considered it, before. It's also probable that Northeast Ohio is a little bit wet than Central Indiana, but I wouldn't think it would be by much.
Welllll.  Long Island is an island, surrounded by water, and I lived out on the North Fork area, so the LI Sound and the Atlantic pretty much mix.  Then, due to the close proximity of Connecticut, the wind usually gets really intense when it comes south/from the west.  So a normal humidity during the winter is around 55-65%.  Humidity during the summer is easy 75%+ on any day with a temp higher than 65F.  So though LI summers don't get hot, per se, our heat index is sometimes ridiculous.

What is Denver like?  I like learning about different weather gradients across the nation.  This is my first time living outside of NY (and when I lived off of LI, I lived in Ithaca/the lake region, which has high humidity + lake effect), so the different weather patterns are really throwing me off.

What is Denver like?  I like learning about different weather gradients across the nation.  This is my first time living outside of NY (and when I lived off of LI, I lived in Ithaca/the lake region, which has high humidity + lake effect), so the different weather patterns are really throwing me off.
Denver (and pretty much Colorado in general) is the poster child for aridity. This is, naturally, due to its high elevation. The lowest point in Colorado is like 3300 ft above sea level. Even in the summer, humidity values are typically between 25 and 50 percent. If the humidity gets above 60 percent, it pretty much means that it's going to rain soon, because the air just can't hold that much water for very long.

In the winter, the snow is almost always dry and airy. Like we got 3-4 inches of snow here, overnight, that probably would have been 8-10 inches in Denver. I've realized that they salt the roads the way they do here because the snow turns to an oil slick here as soon as it starts to stick to the pavement. This is compared to Denver, where you can just generally plow the roads off, because it's not *that* slick.

Eight inches of snow in Idaho can be removed from a driveway with a broom. Clearing eight inches of snow from a driveway in the the northeast corridor needs a shovel and often leads to  injury.
or death tbh

Eight inches of snow in Idaho can be removed from a driveway with a broom. Clearing eight inches of snow from a driveway in the the northeast corridor needs a shovel and often leads to  injury.
Yeah!  The 'fluffiness' of the snow really threw me this morning!  Kinda sucks, tbh, since it means that it doesn't defrost as quickly as the heavy/wet snow?  Also, ice sucks.  Left my wipers up this morning since front windshield defrosted but I don't think it's getting above 25F today.  Don't want it freezing when I get there tonight.

or death tbh
Eh, that usually happens once you get into the double digits.  Usually a man who has a heart attack while shoveling.

Best investment of my parents = getting their stone driveway repaved with asphalt.  Makes shoveling soooooooo much easier since the asphalt traps a ton more heat/melts snow quicker and they don't need to worry about ripping up their blue stone while shoveling.

Eh, that usually happens once you get into the double digits.  Usually a man who has a heart attack while shoveling.

Best investment of my parents = getting their stone driveway repaved with asphalt.  Makes shoveling soooooooo much easier since the asphalt traps a ton more heat/melts snow quicker and they don't need to worry about ripping up their blue stone while shoveling.
Usually but if it's a heavy snow, that's the heart attack snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back