October 2018 Exam Study Progress

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooof, my entire weekend was spent sleeping, eating, or studying.  Got through all my air and water treatment sections, spending some extra time tabbing and reviewing parts that SoPE didn't really go through.  Still having some trouble with the air sections, but that is mostly due to the way SoPE organizes it...which is fairly poor.  My orgo background is really helping me with understanding some stuff and make some things (like converting masses/concentrations through a balanced formula), pretty easy.  Not going to lie, finished the SoPE assessment/remediation/safety section and it was all stuff that I do at work!  So not feeling totally positive, but I do feel like I won't be in too bad shape if I keep studying!

Going to start doing some tabbing during the week as well as I lurk in the forum.
Ugh yeah, the air section is so disorganized from SoPE.  Some of the practice problems are pretty good, but I feel like the notes themselves are weak.  The remediation notes had the best organization.  

I'm going to sound like a broken record but do the PE review questions at the end of Cooper & Alley air pollution book!!

Ugh yeah, the air section is so disorganized from SoPE.  Some of the practice problems are pretty good, but I feel like the notes themselves are weak.  The remediation notes had the best organization.  
Agreed.  The practice problems were good, but the notes were all over the place.  I think it was due to multiple authors getting involved and no trimming/streamlining happening when it was passed to another instructor.  Remediation notes were the best/very straight forward!  

@vee043324 Not sure if I have the time to get the Cooper & Alley book, since I'm getting down to the line, but I have a pretty solid understanding of p-chem so I understand the thermodynamics/that type of stuff.  Just need to study more!!!  And the chemistry background has helped me sooooo much.  I took advanced orgo in undergrad (only need one more class to be a double major), so I actually did titration and a lot of the methods that seem to be the basis for a lot of the exam?  Helps me understand a lot of the degradation/daughter compounds and what not.  Just hope it helps me on the exam itself! 

whew just spent five power hours finishing two works of grad school homework so that my next assignment isn't due until the 28th. letssss goooooo

I'm going to sound like a broken record but do the PE review questions at the end of Cooper & Alley air pollution book!!
Is this only in the new editions? I have one from 1994 and I can't seem to find the PE review problems

Did you take it earlier this year or this current session?  The guy that teaches it reminds me of Artie Lang with his New York accent and kind of looks like him too.  

Whats everyone's thoughts on Environmental Engineering Practice PE Exams by Wane Schneiter? I have a love/hate relationship with it.

Just printed out my exam authorization...all four copies of it, so I won't lose it before then.  Getting nervous!!!!  Going to finish my tabbing this weekend and then just do questions the next two weeks non-stop!
You got this!

I might stop studying the Tuesday before the exam...I think my brain needs a little break before the exam.

I'm traveling to my exam and spending the night in a hotel the night before.  I read some advice to go to a movie the day before, good way to make sure you take your mind off the exam for at least a few hours.  

Did you take it earlier this year or this current session?  The guy that teaches it reminds me of Artie Lang with his New York accent and kind of looks like him too.  
I took it for the April and October 2017 exams. I think it is the same guy.  Haha I love New York accents, so I enjoyed listening to the sessions.  

I'm traveling to my exam and spending the night in a hotel the night before.  I read some advice to go to a movie the day before, good way to make sure you take your mind off the exam for at least a few hours.  
That's a good plan. I'm taking the day off from work the day before and am just going to veg. 

I am drowning in tabs but they’re helpful AF and calming pastel color coordinated and yes pale blue most definitely symbolizes water don’t @ me 

Question 113 on the NCEES PRactice exam.

RTC: Minimum Dissolved Oxygen Concentration

Calculation:

I understand that the formula for Minimum Dissolved Oxygen Concentration is DOsat-Dmax. 

Can you not use the full Streeter Phelps DO sag equation (below) to solve D max using t=3, since t is the  time required to achieve max dissolved oxygen deficit. Am I missing something?

maxresdefault.jpg

Question 113 on the NCEES PRactice exam.

RTC: Minimum Dissolved Oxygen Concentration

Calculation:

I understand that the formula for Minimum Dissolved Oxygen Concentration is DOsat-Dmax. 

Can you not use the full Streeter Phelps DO sag equation (below) to solve D max using t=3, since t is the  time required to achieve max dissolved oxygen deficit. Am I missing something?

maxresdefault.jpg
Hi @kncumber!  I *think* if you used Streeter Phelps, you would also have to calculate the initial oxygen deficit at the point of discharge, which would be a couple of additional steps (in addition to the rate constant corrections, ultimate BOD calculations, etc that you're already having to do.)  Plus, IMO, if there's any way to get to the solution without using the full Streeter-Phelps equation, then I think that is best since I think it's so easy to make an error when using the full equation.  I am looking at a similar EET problem and they are not using full Streeter-Phelps for the solution either, but the method that NCEES had in their exam solution.

Back